Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2014, 01:02 PM

715 posts, read 791,759 times

Advertisements

can be your present one or a past one and for what ever reason?

for me - there have been parts i have disliked about the jobs but in general they have been ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2014, 01:18 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,018,788 times
I am not sure I have ever hated a job, as far as duties assigned were concerned. I have hated some jobs due to how management treated employees, or due to what seemed to me like ridiculous expectations.

Old 09-11-2014, 01:33 PM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
I grew up with dad doing construction; foundation to finish.
Dad had to move off the mountain where we lived because of the altitude I was still going to school.
Being fairly well known by local contractors, I picked up work right away.
Problem was they'd put me doing the grunt work for drunks that knew less than I did. Got tired of doing all the heavy lifting, and cleaning up after them, and stepping on nails and quit .Never went back to construction again

Old 09-11-2014, 01:40 PM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,599 times
The job before this one, I felt that way twice. The first time, three years ago, I absolutely detested the technology they asked me to learn and work in. When that project finished, I told my boss I would quit without having another job lined up if he ever made me work in that technology again.

Then this spring I realized I liked the company, I liked the coworkers, hated the rest of my job...to the point that I had to talk myself into actually getting in the car to go to work every day.

The projects I was working on were adding zero value, I was working in a technology I didn't like doing tasks that were well beneath my skill level (when I left an intern took over the project) and which bored me. My manager didn't listen to my concerns, refused to back me up in meetings, and scolded me for doing projects that weren't valuable after he explicitly told me I had no choice but to do them. Add to that upper management who couldn't seem to articulate a direction for the group if they were held at gunpoint, constant infighting between managers, and it was just a morale disaster.

It wasn't just me - in the last 3 months, 3 of us quit and 2 others transferred to a different department. That's between 35-45% of my manager's group, and the bulk of the upper level people. I managed to convince one of the others to come work at my new company, and am working on findng the right fit for 2 others

Old 09-11-2014, 02:07 PM

211 posts, read 266,778 times
Pretty much hated every job I've ever had, including this one. Well maybe hate is too strong, but I certainly would rather be doing anything else than working and find it difficult to get up on weekdays. But if you ask me to wake up at 6AM for a hiking trip, I'm up in a snap

Old 09-11-2014, 02:30 PM

8 posts, read 9,501 times
I wouldn't say I hated working in retail, but I strongly disliked it. On the one hand I couldn't stand all the rude customers, but on the other hand that is where I met my husband.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:13 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
No, I did reach a point where I quit after 17 years when I reached a dead end as far as career advancement, and moved to another state to pursue other opportunities, but even then I still liked what I did and where I did it.

Old 09-11-2014, 09:43 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,032,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbk4894 View Post
can be your present one or a past one and for what ever reason?

for me - there have been parts i have disliked about the jobs but in general they have been ok.

Never been in that situation because I always applied to jobs that I made sure I was going to like. It's important to know the salary, the duties, and how close it is to home. I know it has to be hard to constantly wake up and go to a job you hate everyday. That's why I don't recommend applying to anything when job searching.

Old 09-11-2014, 10:24 PM

16,077 posts, read 21,159,132 times
The one I have now.
It started out as a support position, very little contact with customers or co-workers.
We have restructured so often and my position has been 'recreated' so many times that 98% of my day is now face time with customers and co-workers. Not something ever I dreamed of in a million years and it drives me nuts.

Old 09-12-2014, 03:50 AM

1,369 posts, read 2,275,027 times
When I've hated a job it was because of workplace bullies, control-freaks, and domineering tyrants in charge. Right now I have a job I really like, because I just go in, do my job, and I'm left alone in peace. No office politics, no BS, no bullies, I just go about my work in peace. My dream job
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment