Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2017, 03:34 AM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
Usually the owner-drivers make $100k because they own the truck and pay the loan, buy gas, buy insurance, maintain it
Trucks do not run on *gas* and out of any revenue that is made comes the expenses that have to be paid. Unfortunately some months are negative profit for an owner-operator because they had to sit for 2 weeks while their $15,000.00 repair was being completed. If those wheels are not rolling there is no revenue being made.
This is not an industry for everyone, even short term.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2017, 07:02 AM

2,802 posts, read 3,191,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Do you understand that you cannot get a CDL with some medications that you take?
Do you understand that you still have to deal with customers day after day?
Do you understand that you will not be able to *sight see* while driving?
From what you have written you have no idea what the real world of trucking is like and I urge you to
find a different path to walk down.
That's one of the main reasons I am giving him 6 months before he washes out. He's got the wrong ideas about the industry.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:19 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,926,002 times
I know a number of owner/operators and most of them tell they would be better off just driving for someone else. But these are guys with entrepreneurial personalities who like being their own boss and would not have it any other way. They would rather sit at home furloughed for awhile than work for someone else.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:38 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
I know a number of owner/operators and most of them tell they would be better off just driving for someone else. But these are guys with entrepreneurial personalities who like being their own boss and would not have it any other way. They would rather sit at home furloughed for awhile than work for someone else.
My son loves to drive, but hated dealing with dispatchers when he was a company employee. He much prefers being his own boss.

Old 08-25-2017, 07:40 AM

4,852 posts, read 3,649,439 times
https://youtu.be/1w5arsZ19JI

My son put a series of videos on Youtube for me. Very fun to watch. He doesn't "sight see" but he does see a lot!

Old 08-27-2017, 05:11 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Sol View Post
6 figures as a truck driver? Working for who?

I was always under the impression that most truckers stay in the 40k-50k range forever.
I'm currently trying to get on with either a foodservice(delivering cases to fastfood restaurants) or a line-haul(hooking to two trailers, going 200-300 miles out, and then heading back to home terminal) trucking position at this point. Long hours with those, but from the drivers I've talked to, the $80k-$100k is actually possible in those lines of trucking.
Another line of hauling to consider is getting into hauling fuel to the gas stations. Usually shift work and guaranteed days off depending on the company you're hauling the fuel for.

Foodgrade tanking and general freight trucking are the jokes in this line of work. Pay never really goes beyond $48k/year and then you'll also have inconsistent periods of work.
I'm ready to jump out of this as soon as I get the go-ahead from wherever else I applied to. Been doing this type of work, off and on, for several years and it's time to stop taking these paycuts like a normal thing.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:19 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,466 times
There are only a handful of very niche jobs that actually make good money and/or have good hours. Most work around the clock for many weeks at a time either driving or sleeping in their cabs making peanuts and then you get to take a couple days off and do it all over again. This industry wouldn't have such a high turnover rate if the jobs where actually good.

Its a terrible industry to be in for almost all unless you are one of those very, very fortunate few working the very top jobs.

Old 08-27-2017, 05:20 PM

3,376 posts, read 6,107,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Do you understand that you cannot get a CDL with some medications that you take?
Do you understand that you still have to deal with customers day after day?
Do you understand that you will not be able to *sight see* while driving?
From what you have written you have no idea what the real world of trucking is like and I urge you to
find a different path to walk down.
On the first part, couldn't agree more. Insulin and high blood pressure meds have this unfortunate side effect of turning someone with a job into a guy holding signs on the freeway entrance ramp.
As for the second part, one would only have to deal with iffy customers for a short time until they could find their way onto a dedicated route where the behavior is more predictable. Surprises are garbage and while they can't be totally eliminated, we all have the power to mitigate them to a degree.
The third part could be a mixed bag. I carried my bicycle on the truck when I was long-haul and minded my time whenever I stopped some place. Unless there was a real need to get the given load there earlier than normal(ie,. outracing a storm, giving myself time for known construction/traffic/etc.,) I wasn't going to be kissing up to the dispatcher and making an attempt to score myself some extra brownie points for more work.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:30 PM

10,075 posts, read 7,546,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mschrief View Post
https://youtu.be/1w5arsZ19JI

My son put a series of videos on Youtube for me. Very fun to watch. He doesn't "sight see" but he does see a lot!
learned that most people don't use turn signals

Old 08-27-2017, 10:37 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,259,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
There are only a handful of very niche jobs that actually make good money and/or have good hours. Most work around the clock for many weeks at a time either driving or sleeping in their cabs making peanuts and then you get to take a couple days off and do it all over again. This industry wouldn't have such a high turnover rate if the jobs where actually good.

Its a terrible industry to be in for almost all unless you are one of those very, very fortunate few working the very top jobs.
Not entirely true, if one is an owner/operator and one knows the business well, one is able to find the perfect place for themselves, have benefits, good pay and as much home time as they want.
It all depends on the individual and how they handle the business part of the industry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment