Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2017, 07:09 AM

43 posts, read 49,924 times

Advertisements

My Bachelor's degree didn't give me any real skill-set for jobs. What Master's degree would?

I currently have a BBA and it's not very helpful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2017, 07:21 AM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
It really depends on what jobs you are talking about.

Old 09-23-2017, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
It really depends on what jobs you are talking about.
It's kind of a blanket statement just to see what master's degrees can provide what skills/potential career paths. So anything and everything that can fall under this category is what I'm looking for. Not trying to find anything specific.

I want to go back for my Master's because my BBA has done little for me, and I want more desirable skills for potential employers. I just don't know what's all out there

Old 09-23-2017, 07:52 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
You're going the wrong path. A Master's doesn't give skill sets. You should have those already. A Master's provides greater knowledge or expands on what you already have.

So instead of asking a blanket statement and not trying to find anything specific, you need to do the exact opposite -- figure out something specific you want to do and then study that. Which may mean a different Bachelors or trade school or something else.

You have a BBA -- what part of business do you like: finance, accounting, marketing, sales, secretarial? Let's just say it's accounting. Rather than look for a general Masters, you need to get training and certifications in accounting. Master's will come later as you move up.

If you don't like business, then what? Teaching? Engineering? House painting? Figure out what you want to do and then ask what degree/training gets you there.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
You're going the wrong path. A Master's doesn't give skill sets. You should have those already. A Master's provides greater knowledge or expands on what you already have.

So instead of asking a blanket statement and not trying to find anything specific, you need to do the exact opposite -- figure out something specific you want to do and then study that. Which may mean a different Bachelors or trade school or something else.

You have a BBA -- what part of business do you like: finance, accounting, marketing, sales, secretarial? Let's just say it's accounting. Rather than look for a general Masters, you need to get training and certifications in accounting. Master's will come later as you move up.

If you don't like business, then what? Teaching? Engineering? House painting? Figure out what you want to do and then ask what degree/training gets you there.

I get what you're saying but I also don't have very distinguishable skill-sets that make me a hot commodity haha. That's why I phrased it the way I did. My part time jobs if anything would make me look more tailored to be working in education.

My BBA is a track in Business Management.. so I'm feeling like I goofed. My finance/accounting people have strong skill sets where as MGMT is more along the line of soft skills. Can't hop straight into Management!

But this is where I struggle lol. I think I'm trying to also discover what all is out there because I'm unaware and there may be something that clicks with me that I just didn't know was a thing or possible for me. Kind of like getting a long list then narrowing it down to things I would like or would benefit me

Old 09-23-2017, 08:25 AM

6,230 posts, read 6,921,160 times
You have to ask yourself what hard skills you possess that will make money for the company. Just having a piece of paper isn't enough.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:44 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,037,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by York40 View Post
But this is where I struggle lol. I think I'm trying to also discover what all is out there because I'm unaware and there may be something that clicks with me that I just didn't know was a thing or possible for me. Kind of like getting a long list then narrowing it down to things I would like or would benefit me
I understand that question, but asking which Master's doesn't answer it. For example, I could say "get your Master's in Electrical Engineering." It would be a useless answer because your BBA doesn't prepare you for it; you'd need to get an undergrad first. Or I could say "get an MBA" because it follows from your BBA. But in that case, since your BBA isn't helping you, then an MBA wouldn't either since the MBA is a follow on for someone moving up from the functional to the managerial ranks.

Does your college offer a career center? Most do, even for people who already graduated. Sounds like you need some basic career counseling and testing to help figure out what skills you have and what careers best fit you. Then you can use that information to plan an education path.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1alker View Post
You have to ask yourself what hard skills you possess that will make money for the company. Just having a piece of paper isn't enough.
That's what I'm facing right now with my bachelor's degree. The paper isn't enough, and neither are my prior job experiences. So I'm at a loss of what to do or where to go to provide some stability and get the ball rolling on jobs I could start a career on.

Old 09-23-2017, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I understand that question, but asking which Master's doesn't answer it. For example, I could say "get your Master's in Electrical Engineering." It would be a useless answer because your BBA doesn't prepare you for it; you'd need to get an undergrad first. Or I could say "get an MBA" because it follows from your BBA. But in that case, since your BBA isn't helping you, then an MBA wouldn't either since the MBA is a follow on for someone moving up from the functional to the managerial ranks.

Does your college offer a career center? Most do, even for people who already graduated. Sounds like you need some basic career counseling and testing to help figure out what skills you have and what careers best fit you. Then you can use that information to plan an education path.
I hadn't considered our career center since I graduated, I forgot all about that resource tbh lol. I think I actually will make a call to them next week. Thanks for that Tnff

Old 09-23-2017, 10:31 AM

29,509 posts, read 22,630,868 times
Mba
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment