Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 01:01 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,945,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohyellowbug View Post
Thank you. Do you think it's better to call or email?
I would call.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2017, 01:09 PM

9,852 posts, read 13,701,644 times
Similar thing happened to me. I was actively looking to relocate to Austin, 2 hours away from home in San Antonio, and was offered a job that I had to start a week and a half after i was offered so I wasn't able to give my full two weeks. That should have been my first red flag. The month and a half I was there was horrible. I got another job almost 2 weeks after leaving the first job. Loved the second job, but at times I want to just quit. In the middle of all this I went through a break-up and two moves. There are days when I think about just throwing in the towel and moving back, but there are many other things i like about where I'm at that keep me here. While I agree it's a bit too soon to give up, I also don't think that a couple years is fair. I'd give it a year, maybe two. I'm right at two and almost to the point where I'm ready to say I tried but it's not worth it anymore (primarily because of work environment and cost of living).

Old 10-16-2017, 01:29 PM

560 posts, read 453,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berteau View Post
I would call.
Thank you. I still have his ext so I will give him a call. He's known for by answering so I guess I will end up leaving a voicemail.

Old 10-16-2017, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbeeigh View Post
Similar thing happened to me. I was actively looking to relocate to Austin, 2 hours away from home in San Antonio, and was offered a job that I had to start a week and a half after i was offered so I wasn't able to give my full two weeks. That should have been my first red flag. The month and a half I was there was horrible. I got another job almost 2 weeks after leaving the first job. Loved the second job, but at times I want to just quit. In the middle of all this I went through a break-up and two moves. There are days when I think about just throwing in the towel and moving back, but there are many other things i like about where I'm at that keep me here. While I agree it's a bit too soon to give up, I also don't think that a couple years is fair. I'd give it a year, maybe two. I'm right at two and almost to the point where I'm ready to say I tried but it's not worth it anymore (primarily because of work environment and cost of living).
Thanks! So I am about 4 hours from home. My first job was awful and they didn't keep the same hours that they said I would have. Wanted me to come in on weekends. It was weird and awful. The PT job I liked but it wasn't enough money to live. So I have this job now and it's okay. I just don't love it and I know my co workers trash each other so I try to lay low. I have only one good friend here and I haven't been able to meet many people.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:14 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
Thanks! So I am about 4 hours from home. My first job was awful and they didn't keep the same hours that they said I would have. Wanted me to come in on weekends. It was weird and awful. The PT job I liked but it wasn't enough money to live. So I have this job now and it's okay. I just don't love it and I know my co workers trash each other so I try to lay low. I have only one good friend here and I haven't been able to meet many people.
The best way to "get back in the grove" is to cast a wide net to capture as many opportunities as possible and don't be shy about asking question or the pursuit of a job. This is a time for you to get aggressive!!

Old 10-16-2017, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
The best way to "get back in the grove" is to cast a wide net to capture as many opportunities as possible and don't be shy about asking question or the pursuit of a job. This is a time for you to get aggressive!!
Thanks! What is your opinion on trying to get the old job back and move back home? Should I try to stick it out here longer or start looking for jobs back home (if the other won't take me back)

Old 10-16-2017, 02:36 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,057,039 times
Quote:
Thanks! What is your opinion on trying to get the old job back and move back home? Should I try to stick it out here longer or start looking for jobs back home (if the other won't take me back)
The answer to this depends on your age , your maturity level, and your personality (homebody or wanderer).

What I see from your post tells me that your first time away from home you failed to find what you expected. Now you want to return back home to what you feel is safe. That's ok but doing that will never enrich your life.

Like I said......It all depends on your personality.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired in Illinois View Post
The answer to this depends on your age , your maturity level, and your personality (homebody or wanderer).

What I see from your post tells me that your first time away from home you failed to find what you expected. Now you want to return back home to what you feel is safe. That's ok but doing that will never enrich your life.

Like I said......It all depends on your personality.
Well I am a homebody. I'm 24. I don't really like bars or clubs. I like staying home with my dog and watching HulU/Netflix.

It is my first time away from home. Minus when I went away to college for a short time, but I couldn't afford to stay out of state in college.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:43 PM

2,556 posts, read 2,285,400 times
Is there a reason that you looked for a job away from your home area? In other words, other than the job itself, did you have other motivations to leave MD? If so, I would give it more time, if you can.

Also, sometimes it is hard to move backwards, as much as you might have enjoyed your previous company. You may move back to your old job and find you are not as happy there as you expect to be.

Old 10-16-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DebNashua View Post
Is there a reason that you looked for a job away from your home area? In other words, other than the job itself, did you have other motivations to leave MD? If so, I would give it more time, if you can.

Also, sometimes it is hard to move backwards, as much as you might have enjoyed your previous company. You may move back to your old job and find you are not as happy there as you expect to be.
I wanted to try something new. I wanted to move closer to my cousin who I am close too because I don't see her a lot and then she decided to backpack through New Zealand for 5 years. I also liked the area a lot. I do like being able to go to steelers games and all the restaurant choices.

Thanks! That's true. I would be going backwards not forward. I don't even know if he would take me back. Then I would have to decide if I was willing to look at other jobs there. I wouldn't have left that job if I hadn't gotten one here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment