Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 10:01 AM

25 posts, read 28,996 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Absolutely untrue and yet again people keep spreading this misinformation.

There were no "millions of lawsuits" that caused every company not to give details on former employees. You know this and will not provide any links.

People need to stop making up stories on this forum. There are NO laws against being truthful about a former employee, and like I said while some companies as a policy may not elaborate, many companies are hardly intimidated by the empty threat of a lawsuit. Good luck trying to 'scare' Walmart with a lawsuit if you were let go for performance reasons and this is exactly what they say during background checks.

As long as it is true a company can say anything they want, as they should. Being truthful about a person being a terrible performer, always being late, always absent, is valuable information that should be disseminated. Just because you were/are a terrible worker, doesn't mean you should get a free pass in life.

Besides, even if a company doesn't give out any information besides dates, there are many other ways to weed out the bad ones.
I don't think employers are intimidated, especially F500s, but I'm not sure most of them care enough to get involved with stuff like this. It is risk at the end, even if it's reputational. I wouldn't want my company to be know for screwing over people over the whims of some middle manager.

I wasn't a bad performer btw, I was at this this place for over 4 years. That doesn't happen accidently in this firm. There's always 2 sides to a story and, in my case, no one really heard mine. It's a pretty crazy thing to impact a 27yr olds career permanently because he took disability leave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalamanderSmile View Post
What do you see when you google yourself? or google your email address? Sometimes things hide in plain sight. Social media is your vast "human talent network" that is being shared. What does your facebook account show to the public?
Someone asked this. It looks clean from what I can gather.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
Do you have any reason to believe that you are being blacklisted? Has anything happened in the past that may lead you to believe this?
Yes, I've had several firm go cold turkey on me as soon as they start investigating my background or put me in their system. That includes a firm where the hiring manager absolutely loved me. And they always give some BS excuse that tries to be neutral... this Fortune 500 firm has instituted a hiring freeze across all departments....

That can't be coincidence once it happens more than once.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:08 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating_narwhal View Post
Yes, I've had several firm go cold turkey on me as soon as they start investigating my background or put me in their system. That includes a firm where the hiring manager absolutely loved me. And they always give some BS excuse that tries to be neutral... this Fortune 500 firm has instituted a hiring freeze across all departments....

That can't be coincidence once it happens more than once.
That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you've ever done something that would make a company want to blacklist you.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left-handed View Post
That's not what I'm asking. I'm asking if you've ever done something that would make a company want to blacklist you.
I don't think so. The closest bad thing I've done is been hired for a job that I was under-qualified for. That wasn't on me, the hiring manager was a cowboy and wanted to do something different. I explained my skillset and that there would be a learning curve. Not sure he told anyone else though...

Bottom line is every hiring manager I've left has offered to help me in some way other than this firm. I really don't know if anyone else would have blacklisted me. There's definitely places that I worked at as a temp when I was ill who wouldn't want me back there because my memory was shot and I didn't do a good job.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:19 AM

10,755 posts, read 5,672,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
From the old Bobby Bare song:

Ever been in a fistfight? Ever won a fight? Ever won a fight, and had your nose bloody and your shirt torn, and your girlfriend is in tears and the bouncer has thrown you both out and your talking to the police?

Yeah, not worth it, is it?

Same thing with the lawsuit. He can still sue, and he can still cost the firm a lot of money in legal fees, even if it never sees a courtroom. Far better to simply verify start and end dates.

So you tell me, if you're head of a company are you going to let your manager be honest as he wants (which is probably sour grapes) since you know you'll prevail in court, or are you going to focus on your business and keeping the firm productive and profitable?
The simple threat of a lawsuit, especially one such as that being described, is minimal. You are way over stating the downside. But if I'm wrong in that assessment, I can certainly admit it. Show us evidence of these lawsuits that are brought about where companies are sued for providing truthful information. If the problem is as real as you believe, it should be easy to do.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:25 AM

2,894 posts, read 2,452,688 times
Quote:
I don't think so. The closest bad thing I've done is been hired for a job that I was under-qualified for. That wasn't on me, the hiring manager was a cowboy and wanted to do something different. I explained my skillset and that there would be a learning curve. Not sure he told anyone else though...

Bottom line is every hiring manager I've left has offered to help me in some way other than this firm. I really don't know if anyone else would have blacklisted me. There's definitely places that I worked at as a temp when I was ill who wouldn't want me back there because my memory was shot and I didn't do a good job.

You said this is a very closed industry - there's no getting around that. I tried - this same type of thing happened to me in a segment of the construction industry. I quit - and after that, they started lying to people about me - none of it was true, and once I had a lawyer contact them and threaten them with a suit, it ended. But nobody in that industry wanted to get involved in ANY of it.

So I found another industry in which my skillset was needed and have been doing that since - hmmm - 1996 I believe. It IS possible to get hired by another company in a different industry even if your old company and old industry are trashing you. There is no "blackball" list or system that you're in - what you're experiencing is the result of just plain gossip/meanness. Unless you can PROVE that your old company is bad mouthing you, then there's not a whole lot that you can do about it but find a different industry, IME anyway.

Old 11-07-2017, 10:50 AM

2,241 posts, read 1,476,460 times
Quote:

I personally would go with the advice below. We don't know that you're being blacklisted or if there's something else going on. Maybe there are other candidates they are choosing over you. It may very well be a coincidence. But at any rate, I don't think there is a downside to trying another industry out, just to try something different out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missy2U View Post
You said this is a very closed industry - there's no getting around that. I tried - this same type of thing happened to me in a segment of the construction industry. I quit - and after that, they started lying to people about me - none of it was true, and once I had a lawyer contact them and threaten them with a suit, it ended. But nobody in that industry wanted to get involved in ANY of it.

So I found another industry in which my skillset was needed and have been doing that since - hmmm - 1996 I believe. It IS possible to get hired by another company in a different industry even if your old company and old industry are trashing you. There is no "blackball" list or system that you're in - what you're experiencing is the result of just plain gossip/meanness. Unless you can PROVE that your old company is bad mouthing you, then there's not a whole lot that you can do about it but find a different industry, IME anyway.

Old 11-07-2017, 12:11 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone knows how you can verify if you've been blacklisted and if there's anyway to remove yourself from that situation. I think this is very common and easy to do today with the vastly integrated talent management systems that exist today.

The reason I suspect that I'm blacklisted is because I've had several companies that completely don't want to talk to me anymore when they start verifying my details. One company, the hiring manager and team loved me but as soon as I submitted an HR application I was told the company wasn't hiring anymore (referred in to firm by 3rd party). Another situation, they again really liked me but as soon as HR was involved... I was told there was a hiring freeze. There's been several other fishy situations but they weren't as obvious as the ones above.

I know something is up. I just have no idea how to verify what is going on and how I can remedy it.

Any advice? I have over 10 years of work experience but did have a pretty bad falling out with 1 employer in the past. Also not sure if my last employer would do something like... I was laid off but didn't think it was on bad terms.
This should be easy if you generally list the same past employers on your references.

Hire someone perhaps even a private detective to do the usual pre-employment check. Have them draw up an affidavit with your attorney.

Then have your attorney draw up and serve a letter on the HR/Company that is destroying your references.

Another suggestion would be to contact Dept. of Labor and speak to someone there about your options. Most companies are only allowed to give the dates of your employment and to verify that you were employed. Anything else can get them in trouble. I'll bet that DOL can help you. Please continue to update.

https://www.dol.gov/

Old 11-07-2017, 12:15 PM

1,454 posts, read 1,944,373 times
OP you still haven't answered why not look outside of your current industry if you think you're being "blacklisted"?

Everyone has transferrable skills; do you at least have good references? That may be your problem - always check with references listed before giving the info to a potential employer. Make sure they are informed of the job and it's requirements so they can assist. We've seen stories here where people weren't checking with years-old references (who weren't saying nice things!)

Take control of your job search - period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment