Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 11:13 AM

25 posts, read 28,979 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wanted to see if anyone knows how you can verify if you've been blacklisted and if there's anyway to remove yourself from that situation. I think this is very common and easy to do today with the vastly integrated talent management systems that exist today.

The reason I suspect that I'm blacklisted is because I've had several companies that completely don't want to talk to me anymore when they start verifying my details. One company, the hiring manager and team loved me but as soon as I submitted an HR application I was told the company wasn't hiring anymore (referred in to firm by 3rd party). Another situation, they again really liked me but as soon as HR was involved... I was told there was a hiring freeze. There's been several other fishy situations but they weren't as obvious as the ones above.

I know something is up. I just have no idea how to verify what is going on and how I can remedy it.

Any advice? I have over 10 years of work experience but did have a pretty bad falling out with 1 employer in the past. Also not sure if my last employer would do something like... I was laid off but didn't think it was on bad terms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 11:57 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
There are services such as Alyson Taylor that can call your references posing as an employer, document and even notarize what they say and report back to you. If they are being malicious and/or untruthful a cease and desist letter (you can make one yourself from a template or pay a lawyer) will almost always get them to back down and only confirm titles and dates of employment.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There are services such as Alyson Taylor that can call your references posing as an employer, document and even notarize what they say and report back to you. If they are being malicious and/or untruthful a cease and desist letter (you can make one yourself from a template or pay a lawyer) will almost always get them to back down and only confirm titles and dates of employment.
Thanks for confirming. I just checked them and I'm not sure they have access to any of the systems that HR firms use. I suspect at this point, checking folks is not like the old days and you need access to talent management systems to move further with a check. Do you know any company that would access to them that does discreet reviews of your background?

Old 11-06-2017, 12:22 PM

254 posts, read 458,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floating_narwhal View Post
Thanks for confirming. I just checked them and I'm not sure they have access to any of the systems that HR firms use. I suspect at this point, checking folks is not like the old days and you need access to talent management systems to move further with a check. Do you know any company that would access to them that does discreet reviews of your background?
...do you imagine companies share a talent management system? They do not.

Old 11-06-2017, 12:26 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
have a pretty bad falling out with 1 employer in the past.
If you are in the same line of work, word travels fast.

In my job, I'm have a niche of skills, and if I screwed the pooch with my employer, I would expect all the other contractors to find out about it. That's why I am very careful about burning bridges.

What is the nature of your falling out?

Old 11-06-2017, 12:35 PM

10,326 posts, read 17,425,894 times
Quote:
There is no secret HR database with dirt on employees and blacklists. Most likely when you fill out the app it asks for your former supervisors' numbers and when they contact him/her as part of the background check they are saying bad things about you which causes the hiring company to quietly reject you.

That happened to a colleague from grad school. She had a string of mysterious interview failures so she hired the service and they reported her PI was saying awful stuff about her despite her leaving on good terms. The guy was just a closet sociopath. She warned me about him.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:25 PM

29,513 posts, read 22,641,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchemist80 View Post
There is no secret HR database with dirt on employees and blacklists. Most likely when you fill out the app it asks for your former supervisors' numbers and when they contact him/her as part of the background check they are saying bad things about you which causes the hiring company to quietly reject you.

That happened to a colleague from grad school. She had a string of mysterious interview failures so she hired the service and they reported her PI was saying awful stuff about her despite her leaving on good terms. The guy was just a closet sociopath. She warned me about him.
This.

Also, an employer is allowed to give any information about you and your past performance so long as it is true. If you were a bad performer, then yes they could say that.

Some companies may not give further details than dates of employment, but not all.

And in many industries it can be a small world and all it takes is one person to give a bad reference "off the books" and bye bye application.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
If you are in the same line of work, word travels fast.

In my job, I'm have a niche of skills, and if I screwed the pooch with my employer, I would expect all the other contractors to find out about it. That's why I am very careful about burning bridges.

What is the nature of your falling out?
I was on disability leave a few years back. I think my manager went around and said I made the whole thing up. Personally think he was just a sociopath but I had no ability to investigate or fight the claim (btw my claim and entire medical record was investigated by a 3rd party to go on and stay on leave). Sadly, I was a very junior guy and didn't even know it happened till much later.

I think the COO of the company got involved and took at as a personal issue on his side since him and my boss were close. The whole thing is crazy and I have no idea if it was that firm or someone else. I've worked in a few places since then on temp assignments [in all kinds of fields] and was just trying to get back on my feet.

I know word travels very fast. But it has to be in a system somewhere as the people who are making the calls on turning me away are in HR. They definitely are matching my record somewhere and I'm being flagged right away by them. I haven't given any references that they've called so far and some of these places, I'm just too early in the process for them to make an effort to call anyone.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:38 PM

16,711 posts, read 19,407,583 times
Quote:
I was on disability leave a few years back.
Was there a problem with absences?

I'm asking because one of my coworkers may have this issue in the future, and I'm curious how word was spread. I know we do not give info. We just say "Yes" or "No" to whether or not he would be rehired.

Old 11-06-2017, 01:49 PM

420 posts, read 403,217 times
Quote:
I was on disability leave a few years back. I think my manager went around and said I made the whole thing up. Personally think he was just a sociopath but I had no ability to investigate or fight the claim (btw my claim and entire medical record was investigated by a 3rd party to go on and stay on leave). Sadly, I was a very junior guy and didn't even know it happened till much later.

I think the COO of the company got involved and took at as a personal issue on his side since him and my boss were close. The whole thing is crazy and I have no idea if it was that firm or someone else. I've worked in a few places since then on temp assignments [in all kinds of fields] and was just trying to get back on my feet.

I know word travels very fast. But it has to be in a system somewhere as the people who are making the calls on turning me away are in HR. They definitely are matching my record somewhere and I'm being flagged right away by them. I haven't given any references that they've called so far and some of these places, I'm just too early in the process for them to make an effort to call anyone.
Was the disability mental health related?

There is no “blacklist”, but there is reputation for sure. How does your linked in look? What happens when you google your name? Any crazy social media?

Never mind. Just found this from you:

Quote:
Also I work in a well connected industry and I wouldn't be surprised if word had traveled fa
Only solution. Legal name change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment