Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 02:56 PM

666 posts, read 643,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Guy View Post
Ok but I'm trying to give him 2 months before I pull the plug.

I can't..... Why?! He is only going to get worse, not magically become more reliable. Although I also wonder now how many days he has actually called out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2017, 03:25 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,050,479 times
Quote:
Bad idea.

Along with most other posters, I think this employee is probably a dud, but I am a strong believer in due process.

Rather than give him a period of time, then making a decision, you should develop objective standards then judge him against those clearly communicated expectations.

If you really feel strongly about setting a time, you need to tell him what to expect during this time. No time off w/o pay, some sort of productivity standard, etc.

As far as probationary periods go, this isn’t a guarantee of employment either. If you say two months, that means you can terminate without explanation, at any time, inside of two months. It simply means that after two months you will provide more warnings.

Old 12-06-2017, 04:41 PM

10,599 posts, read 17,900,561 times
Quote:
You're kind of stuck. As a new manager of a bad new hire with no company policy.

That's why I said go to the owner or your supervisor.

Who hired him, you? Is that why you're a little hesitant to fire him?

If not, go to the hiring manager and get coaching.

Generally speaking, you'd fire the guy but in the very least tell him ONE MORE absence or tardy we have to let you go. IN WRITING and bring a management person into the room with you as a witness and note-taker. If you're feeling benevolent or sympathetic you can review his attendance then ask if he'd like to explain why he can't be at work. You don't ask about health issues you ask why aren't you coming to work?

Then you get an admission (that he KNOWS it's "wrong") and hopefully a commitment that he'll stop calling out.

Nothing magic about two months. The longer you go without doing anything, the more of a big deal it could turn into.

Especially with NO disciplinary action thus far.

I PROMISE you it only gets harder. Building a case. Documentation. One on Ones...blah blah blah...

Does he have healthcare benefits yet? What are you gonna do if he goes to rehab on medical and then you have to start ALL OVER AGAIN. Yuk.

And I hate to even say this but you should be evaluating his work week by week, too as a new hire. MORE documentation and feedback/discussions. Cuz if he manages to stick around, lets say your boss overrides you from firing him....you'll need some proof that he's not a great match.

Old 12-06-2017, 11:53 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,153,772 times
If he is calling in day of, that is a call out, so treat it as one. If he requests it a week in advance, approve it or dont. Do it only if
-he can make a "confirmed switch " with another co worker week before ,
-or you can cover the manpower.

start a rule, 3 call outs in a pre determined period, and you get disciplined, eventually fired. Do this for lateness too.

everyone needs to be treated the same, slackers and slaves alike. once you start asking him for something that no one else has to do, you will be singling him out, and it can turn on you. In the bigger picture, it is up to your boss as to what to do. Are you the one that hires and fires? pays the salary? Let your boss figure out how policy should be implemented and handled.

After all, doctors appointments are planned ahead of time. there are walk in clinics, but an on the spot need to visit the doctor, are what sick days are for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment