Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2017, 11:14 AM

1,917 posts, read 1,278,514 times

Advertisements

I'm a supervisor at my place of work. I have a question for those of you who are supervisors. Do you always tell someone that has an appointment of some kind to bring a note in the next day? Reason I'm asking is because I generally don't. The company I work for doesn't really enforce it so I usually don't ask the people that report to me to bring in a note. BUT!!! Lately there's one guy that has been coming up with a new excuse almost every week for why he can't come in to work. And it just so happens that it is usually on Mondays. I really want to start asking him to bring in a note if he uses the doctor or dentist excuse. I feel like people would take offense to that because it shows that you are skeptical. How many SUPERVISORS here require some form of proof or a note from the people that report to them?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2017, 11:45 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,542,084 times
not sure you can ask for it legally...

if it becomes an issue, fire him, no laws prevent you from firing someone if they are not doing the work. you cant fire them for the health issue directly, but if they arent there to work, that is separate

Old 12-04-2017, 11:51 AM

1,602 posts, read 1,915,606 times
What is your company's official policy? Unless there's a superseding agreement in place, like a PIP or some sort of employment agreement addendum, then that's what rules. If your company does not require proof of doc visits then you will likely not be able to force this employee to provide them, as that's likely a violation of HIPAA.

Additionally, when this employee calls out, is he using some kind of sock or PTO time? Is he being paid? Does someone need to cover his work, or is it left for him when he comes in on Tuesday? Those are all factors in a very gray area discussion.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizfromtheBronx View Post
What is your company's official policy? Unless there's a superseding agreement in place, like a PIP or some sort of employment agreement addendum, then that's what rules. If your company does not require proof of doc visits then you will likely not be able to force this employee to provide them, as that's likely a violation of HIPAA.

Additionally, when this employee calls out, is he using some kind of sock or PTO time? Is he being paid? Does someone need to cover his work, or is it left for him when he comes in on Tuesday? Those are all factors in a very gray area discussion.
Very informative. My company has very little HR in place. He's not being paid on his "sick" days because we don't have sick days, only PTO. And he's not using it. Others have to fill in for him which is a huge burden since our company is not that big. It sets us almost a whole day back.

Old 12-04-2017, 12:40 PM

12,108 posts, read 23,281,885 times
Notes are required after 3 days of absence for a medical reason. Is he saying he is sick? Does he have to ask in advance? Does he have to fill out a form? Have you ever told him that his request for time off is denied? Are you allowed to address the pattern of abuse?

I am not sure I understand your above post. Is he taking the day as unpaid time off? If so, why do you allow it?

Old 12-04-2017, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Notes are required after 3 days of absence for a medical reason. Is he saying he is sick? Does he have to ask in advance? Does he have to fill out a form? Have you ever told him that his request for time off is denied? Are you allowed to address the pattern of abuse?

I am not sure I understand your above post. Is he taking the day as unpaid time off? If so, why do you allow it?
One week it's a transportation issue, the next week it's a medical issue, the next week he's sick, etc..... We try to employ individuals that are reliable. We are a small company. This time off is not asked for in advance. He just calls me the morning of.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:05 PM

6,601 posts, read 8,982,581 times
It sounds like it's time for you to talk with him about how you need more notice. You understand that sometimes "stuff happens", but you need as much notice as possible.

If it's still a problem, it sounds like it's time for your company to get more HR than it has (be that actual HR staff or just implementing policies).

Is the job exempt or non-exempt?

Old 12-04-2017, 01:08 PM

45,393 posts, read 60,575,206 times
If your policy allows you might be able to require a note since he's set up a pattern.

Does he call in the day of or does he give you notice say on the preceding Thursday or Friday?

Old 12-04-2017, 02:11 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times
If you ask for notes, you need to do it with some sort of consistency. After 3 days, or 3 last minute notifications, or whatever. Make a policy for your Dept, get your boss to sign off on it, and implement it.

However, in this case I don’t think it necessary. If you call out with no leave to cover the absence, that is reason enough to terminate. I don’t care if it is taken without pay. The reason to have a designated leave bank is to be able to manage your work force.

First, make them cover the missed time with PTO. Then, the first time they miss a shift with no PTO you give them a written warning. The second time is a final warning. The third time is termination for cause.

Old 12-04-2017, 02:19 PM

137 posts, read 134,439 times
In our employee handbook it states that an excuse is required after 3 days for medical absences; however, the supervisors have the discretion to request an excuse if they feel that the employee is abusing the leave policy. Most of the supervisors don't request it, they operate on the honor system but most of us provide an excuse anyway. When I was a manager, I didn't request it but my employees were aware that it was a policy and at the discretion of the supervisor to ask for it. I would discuss things with the employee and find out if there is an underlying issue without being too invasive, if that's possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment