Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 10:20 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,029,336 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
IF you get your Job done and on time and meet the deadlines and are competent, I don't see why anyone should ever give a crap if you're "on time" and clocked in and in your seat like a some kindergarten student when the bell rings. . Its just more games on the employers to denigrate their employees to children or less than human . Its a sick corporate game.
What an absurd proposition. This depends entirely on the nature of the work. There are many functions/departments that need to be running at 100% at a specific time because somebody else needs them to be, whether it's customers or another part of the business.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2017, 10:24 AM

28,226 posts, read 36,861,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
We have "core hours" where everyone has to be here but otherwise free to flex around that. It does bother some of the old school employees who can only think in terms of specific start and stop times but hasn't really impacted productivity.

Also many in the younger generation think in terms of work accomplished rather than hours worked. And it doesn't matter to them when or where they do the work. They're just as happy signing on from home or a hotspot as from their desk.
100% agreed. It is only a problem when work is unevenly distributed.

I do think in certain roles, it is critical to set an expectation about time at the desk and time in the office to build good habits and the right culture. One of our teams has been underperforming precisely because the team culture was too lax.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:25 AM

95 posts, read 89,317 times
In the bottom feeding world I dwell in being one minute late can be grounds for termination. The higher up you get the less concerned with being on time it gets. My dad is 40 years into the coroporate world and he shows up at 11am and leaves at 4 most days...the company is too huge to either care or notice. Those in middle management must do the dirty work of rounding up the laggers and late folks and weed them out.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:39 AM

170 posts, read 316,348 times
Depends on the industry and how high you're up. If you're a store then of course , 10am everyone on the dot. If its inside of an office with no customer interaction then maybe being a few mins late and "socialize" should be fine. (with balance)

Some jobs which are demanding, you always should be early though. I have driver who's very old school and usually picks up loads and drops it off. He starts pick up when the manufacture opens (6AM) and drops it to my customer even before someone comes in. I have another one who's my age, on the younger side (30s), he picks up at 9AM or 10am.

Both work hard and I don't really care, I just use the guy on time on "time sensitive" projects.

End of the day did you get your work done in a timely manner?

Old 12-15-2017, 10:44 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
As long as I am walking across the parking lot to the door from my car by 7:59 AM, I am not late. I don't drink coffee, I have a 10 minute commute and take care of bathroom trips before I leave. I walk in, sit down, and go right to work.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:57 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,947,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
IF you get your Job done and on time and meet the deadlines and are competent, I don't see why anyone should ever give a crap if you're "on time" and clocked in and in your seat like a some kindergarten student when the bell rings. . Its just more games on the employers to denigrate their employees to children or less than human . Its a sick corporate game.
I work in a steel sales office with business hours from 8 AM to 5 PM M-F, and yes, we ARE expected to be on time if we don't have an excused absence planned, and if we are detained we are expected to call in and let our manager know.

I work the switchboard so I can't just show up whenever I feel like it, and if I have to be late, like yesterday when I locked my keys in the car, my first call was to AAA, and my 2nd was to my boss so my sub could work the phones until I was able to arrive. I also had the PTO to cover the 45 minutes I was late getting in.

Old 12-15-2017, 10:59 AM

923 posts, read 526,352 times
In my line of work, as an employer, there are times when I expect them ready by x:00. I won't wait 2 minutes for someone late.
Other times I'm a bit lenient. I'll put up with 5 minutes.
I respect them enough to pay them on time, they should respect me enough to be to work on time.

As far as being on time is like being treated like a kid, act like an adult and maybe you'll get treated as one. Show some respect.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:01 AM

844 posts, read 2,019,744 times
If they don't get their jobs done, this is a management problem. It's not about "being on time". I am a stickler about being on time when I'm meeting someone because it's rude to keep them waiting, but not for someone else's arbitrary idea of what time the work day should start.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:01 AM

3,465 posts, read 4,836,778 times
The past few years I have noticed a lot of "What difference does it make as long as I get my work done." It has already been posted as a response a couple of times in this thread. It is part of the self entitled attitude these days and typically goes hand in hand with the "it is my cell phone and you can't tell me when I can be on it."

It all boils down to work ethic. There seems to be a lack of it lately, especially with those under the age of 25 but it seems the immaturity is lasting into their 30's more and more.

The day will come when they are still sitting at the same job wondering why the guy that used to the in the cube next to them that was always there banging the work out when they came dragging in a 8:30, has been promoted a couple of times to supervisor and then manager or now owns their own business. I have friends like that and they just can't figure out why they are getting passed over for promotions. All I can say is thanks for making it easy for us to kick your ass every day. lol

Old 12-15-2017, 11:05 AM

35,057 posts, read 31,271,982 times
It depends on the role and the corporate culture.

I officially start at 8. I'm usually in my seat no later than 8:10. I'm salaried and an IT analyst.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment