Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2018, 02:35 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,285,621 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyforger View Post
Yeah and H1s as well. So that we can go back go back to our countries and stay together
That would be ok with me, I think H1B's do more harm to in terms of suppressing wages and increasing layoffs of US Citizens than illegal border crossers who pick strawberries ever did.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:55 PM

932 posts, read 543,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Yes, because every day Seal Team Six descends upon Mumbai and abducts dozens of young techies, brings them back to America, and forces them to work for just 10x the wages of their comrades left behind.
I don't expect People who have spent all their lives in just one country to understand it.
But at least try to put yourselves in our shoes.

There is a whole different world out there buddy.

I have learn't a lot from USA and am very much thankful for that.

That's why I love the people over here. Its the system that's rotten just like any other country.

Only point is....love the people and fix the system and have a wonderful life

If you hate the people , you would be blinding yourself from reality.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
That would be ok with me, I think H1B's do more harm to in terms of suppressing wages and increasing layoffs of US Citizens than illegal border crossers who pick strawberries ever did.
Its the system buddy. Stopping H1Bs from changing employers easily suppresses wages.
H1Bs bring in tax money and prevent jobs from being offshored.
Give them level playing field so that they can demand more.

Wages were going to be overall suppressed anyways....if not for H1B, jobs would be off-shored.
Its not greediness...its plain business of supply and demand.

Try to setup a company and compete. You would understand things much better.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:11 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,219,693 times
Quote:
I don't expect People who have spent all their lives in just one country to understand it.

That's why I love the people over here. Its the system that's rotten just like any other country.

I don't hate the people. My boss is Indian. I do and have worked with Indians. Never met one I didn't like.

It has nothing to do with that. H1B is not good for this country. It may have had a purpose in specific situations but it has been abused and misused until it has morphed into something else.

There is one problem with H1B - there are too many of them. Therefore, the only real solutions are those which reduce the number of them. In addition to a lower annual quota, there should be a maximum total in the country. Renewals should count against the annual quota.

Old 03-08-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
I don't hate the people. My boss is Indian. I do and have worked with Indians. Never met one I didn't like.

It has nothing to do with that. H1B is not good for this country. It may have had a purpose in specific situations but it has been abused and misused until it has morphed into something else.

There is one problem with H1B - there are too many of them. Therefore, the only real solutions are those which reduce the number of them. In addition to a lower annual quota, there should be a maximum total in the country. Renewals should count against the annual quota.

Glad to know that we are on same page

Old 03-08-2018, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Its the system buddy. Stopping H1Bs from changing employers easily suppresses wages.
Wages were going to be overall suppressed anyways....if not for H1B, jobs would be off-shored.

I'm not your buddy, ok? We don't need H1B workers period. They are just a way for US employers to fire citizens and replace them with people from other countries who will work for lower wages. And the last thing we need is to allow them to shop for jobs And if those jobs could have been offshored that already would have happened, since it didn't your point is invalid

Old 03-08-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
It's not about hating people. I think the solution to the H1B issue could easily be resolved if employers were required to pay them 150% of prevailing wage, that way we could be sure that their skills were really needed and that they weren't just bargain basement labor brought here to displace citizens from their job.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:25 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:

H1Bs ENABLE jobs to be offshored. It's called "knowledge transfer". They bring in Indians, make Americans train them, then fire Americans. Rinse and repeat. Eventually, when enough Indians are on staff, move the whole operation to India.

That system has no more integrity than a Viking coming to an area, looting all the goods, then returning home, leaving the looted land in desperate straits.

Old 03-08-2018, 04:26 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,587,826 times
Quote:
I'm not your buddy, ok? We don't need H1B workers period. They are just a way for US employers to fire citizens and replace them with people from other countries who will work for lower wages. And the last thing we need is to allow them to shop for jobs And if those jobs could have been offshored that already would have happened, since it didn't your point is invalid
No, job shopping would help. We also need to allow green cards for that reason. The crooked system in India and the crooked guys here have the green card people in 70 year backlogs, hence the only way to get here is to be an H1B indentured servant.

Old 03-08-2018, 08:27 PM

Quote:
It's not about hating people. I think the solution to the H1B issue could easily be resolved if employers were required to pay them 150% of prevailing wage, that way we could be sure that their skills were really needed and that they weren't just bargain basement labor brought here to displace citizens from their job.
Yes....that is what we want to as well.
This should reduce the exploitation of H1Bs.

Majority of H1Bs are in favor of that.

At the same time, they should be allowed to freely change jobs and be treated equally.

Lot of people from other countries don't even need to wait in queue. They get their Green Card in less than a year of being on H1B and they work menial jobs.

What about them? Whole immigration system is messed up. Don't just focus on one small aspect of it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment