Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2018, 02:46 PM

335 posts, read 357,304 times

Advertisements

I am in my mid-30s and have about 10 years experience in sales and marketing.

For the past 5 years, I was well liked at my old company and was making around $140k a year. I loved my industry, was able to travel, basically was able to come/leave whenever I wanted. Looking back on it, it wasn't all that bad. However, the problem was that I hated my boss and she was hard to get along with (no one at the company likes her).

Six months ago, I took a paycut to escape my boss. I was under the impression that I'd be around the same amount per year with bonuses and was able to work from home with the new job. The only problem I saw was that it wasn't at all related to the industry I knew I loved and had good connections with... no worries, try something new, right?

Now that I'm a half a year into this job, I realize that it's no where possible to make that type of money. I'll be pulling in around $85k - $90k if I'm lucky. I'm not excited about my company, our product or the overall industry. My boss is ok at best. I'm essentially a glorified sales rep... which isn't what I was doing previously or envisioning for this role.

I made a terrible, terrible mistake. I feel like I want to start over. I've had thoughts about just quitting and interning somewhere that I'm really passionate about. Or, maybe going back to school for a completely different field. Or, maybe I ask for my old job back with the crazy boss and just deal with it? (I left on good terms, I think they might take me back?)

Sigh, I just dont know what to do with life.

Thankfully, I have a supportive wife with a good income and no kids so we are ok.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2018, 03:13 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,996,038 times
140K and flexibility, come and go as you please? And you left?? Jeeesh. Where the hell do people find these good jobs? Good lord.

I don't know how you can't put up with one human for those kind of perks/pay.

I have to put up with multiple, uneducated idiots all day for a QUARTER of that pay now do I get to come and go as I please.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
140K and flexibility ? Jeeesh. Where the hell do people find these good jobs? Good lord.
I know..

To be fair, "flexibility" was used loosey. I needed to be in a office from around 9am and leave around 5pm. No one really watched the clock or cared if I was out meeting a client or left a bit early for something.

The boss was a nightmare. She was extremely unprofessional. On top of calling people who worked for her names behind their backs, she would volunteer extremely personal information about people who worked for her around the office, throw me under the bus in front of clients, and put her wants first before the company. She wasn't business savy and I personally think she is running the business into the ground... not sure if she knows how to read a P&L statement yet.

Last edited by ima30something; 01-02-2018 at 03:47 PM..

Old 01-02-2018, 03:27 PM

4,988 posts, read 2,723,010 times
Default Risk

The problem of "trying out something new" is that it might not work out. You have to steel yourself to the fact that you are taking a risk and jumping into the unknown no matter how good the new opportunity may look. Once you jump into the new opportunity, there should be no looking back. You made the choice, for better or for worse. At least you don't have that unpleasant boss anymore.

However, if you had stayed at your old job, you also cannot be sure how that would have worked out. Perhaps your boss would have become even more unpleasant. Perhaps something else bad would have happened. There is no way of knowing for sure.

But since you left on good terms, perhaps you can see if you could go back. Explore that possibility with former colleagues to see what is going on at your old company. If you think that possibility exists, then raise that question with your old management.

I wish you the best.

Old 01-02-2018, 03:42 PM

609 posts, read 506,561 times
Are these the only two places you can work at (your old job, your current)? Can't you look for another job? I mean ... if you are good, you will be able to find a team ... NO?

Old 01-02-2018, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Are these the only two places you can work at (your old job, your current)? Can't you look for another job? I mean ... if you are good, you will be able to find a team ... NO?
^ This is accurate. Good point.

Old 01-02-2018, 05:04 PM

609 posts, read 506,561 times
The economy is fine. Trust yourself. Have confidence and get out there and land a new dream job.
Also, make sure you continue to network online as well as in person ...
I'm sure there is a job out there for you. Don't sell yourself short.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
^ This is accurate. Good point.

Old 01-02-2018, 06:28 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,472,640 times
Even when I have the "Why did I evers", I know I probably wouldn't return to a former employer (at least not in the same capacity). I left for a reason. Forward!

Old 01-02-2018, 06:50 PM

5,724 posts, read 7,490,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima30something View Post
I am in my mid-30s and have about 10 years experience in sales and marketing.

For the past 5 years, I was well liked at my old company and was making around $140k a year. I loved my industry, was able to travel, basically was able to come/leave whenever I wanted. Looking back on it, it wasn't all that bad. However, the problem was that I hated my boss and she was hard to get along with (no one at the company likes her).

Six months ago, I took a paycut to escape my boss. I was under the impression that I'd be around the same amount per year with bonuses and was able to work from home with the new job. The only problem I saw was that it wasn't at all related to the industry I knew I loved and had good connections with... no worries, try something new, right?

Now that I'm a half a year into this job, I realize that it's no where possible to make that type of money. I'll be pulling in around $85k - $90k if I'm lucky. I'm not excited about my company, our product or the overall industry. My boss is ok at best. I'm essentially a glorified sales rep... which isn't what I was doing previously or envisioning for this role.

I made a terrible, terrible mistake. I feel like I want to start over. I've had thoughts about just quitting and interning somewhere that I'm really passionate about. Or, maybe going back to school for a completely different field. Or, maybe I ask for my old job back with the crazy boss and just deal with it? (I left on good terms, I think they might take me back?)

Sigh, I just dont know what to do with life.

Thankfully, I have a supportive wife with a good income and no kids so we are ok.

Thoughts? Ideas? Suggestions? Advice?
I would just look for another job.

Old 01-02-2018, 08:27 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,212,574 times
you could always apply for positions at your old company. I've left and come back to the same company, and got a 66% salary increase for what was essentially the same job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment