Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 06:21 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Perhaps nothing? Perhaps quite profound.

I am an amateur musician. I've always dreamed of making a living playing music.

In the past year, three rock singers killed themselves. Chris Cornell, Chester something, and Dolores O'Riordan (allegedly). Two of which have been a pretty big part of my life, the third none.

Regardless, these are persons that in a 'career' sense seemingly had it all.

They were all (I assume)...

1) Wealthy enough to quit working and doing music all together and do whatever they wanted if they so chose.

2) Or could keep working based on their past hit music, yet...

3) ... were out of the limelight enough that they had creative flexibility to write new songs, go in new creative directions (or do #1).

4) Along with the last point, and the type of music they played, the work wasn't that demanding. In other words, not like being the first chair violinist with the London Symphony Orchestra, you have the pressure of being on top your game or being usurped.

5) They were old enough and out of the rock star life enough to not be on suicidal massive drug and alcohol induced week long benders.

Basically what everybody wants in a career. Something they are passionate about. Something where you have job security. Something where your financial security is guaranteed. Something where you have some autonomous flexibility to exert your creative juices.

Yet. Depression. Suicide. Why?
This is why you should never ever forget that whatever your career choice, it is but ONE part of your overall life. I learned the hard way what happens when your identity is your profession. Wait until that profession is gone and you’ll see what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2018, 07:17 PM

199 posts, read 165,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
This is why you should never ever forget that whatever your career choice, it is but ONE part of your overall life. I learned the hard way what happens when your identity is your profession. Wait until that profession is gone and you’ll see what I mean.
That's not a problem for me. I've always hated my careers and have been happy when they've ended. I do love my weekends and vacations though.

The only way my weekends and vacations will end is if I'm dead and in the ground. Even if I'm broke, I can go hiking in the woods for free.

Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 PM

1,257 posts, read 2,654,175 times
Default Irony: in creating meaning for others you lose your own.

I don't know about having too much money and being depressed. I did play music as a young guy I did remember, as I got a song down the thought of playing it over and over and over even if I wasn't in the mood sucked the enjoyment out of it. I suddenly understood why many musicians were into drugs and alcohol.

What you love has become a job. A repetitive job with expectations that you will do it over and over with a smile on your face. Sounds too much like my job (minus the love). Excuse me while I go look go look for a tall bridge......

Old 01-21-2018, 08:24 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,736,617 times
I hear an interview with Larry the Cable guy who talked about how he had all this money that could get him anything he wanted, all the fame, everything and he was miserable and depressed. I guess it gets depressing when you can have everything in life and it still doesn't satisfy.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
I find it don't talk about jobs. Honestly rock stars are more likely to have mental issues. Sia, Demi Lovato, Elton John, Sinead O'Connor, Chester Beddington, Brian Wilson, Syd Barrett, Kurt Cobain, etc. all were bi-polar, depressed, skitzo, had eating issues, had addictions or multiple mental illnesses. I am not sure if the artistry drives people with mental issues into the arts or the arts drive them into mental issues, or if it is a combination. If you look at Chris Cornell, he hid any mental health issue well until he hung himself. Even his wife didn't know until she got the call no spouse wants to hear.

Old 01-21-2018, 08:54 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
Most deaths in that demographic involve drugs, so apparently sex and rock and roll don't matter all that much?

Old 01-21-2018, 09:04 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,903,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
Most deaths in that demographic involve drugs, so apparently sex and rock and roll don't matter all that much?
Eh, I think there are several Weinsteins' and Spacey's in the music business. I mean Michael Jackson was an unconvicted child molester. Mariah Carey has her claims by a male. Also you have the whole Melanie Martinez allegations.

Old 01-21-2018, 09:48 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Short answer: clinical depression has nothing to do with your goals, acheivements, or desired lifestyle.

You can be on top of the world, by your own definition, and still suffer from depression and suicidal ideation. Some poor souls feel they must go through with it.

Old 01-22-2018, 01:38 AM

5,151 posts, read 4,530,502 times
People end their lives when they have no hope for the present or the future, when they are lost, when it all seems like a meaningless void. Age, gender, socioeconomic status, race are all irrelevant. Often, things that happened to them in the past just can’t be overcome.

Nearby where I live is a bridge that many people have jumped off, I think about 3 in the last couple of months. They were young & old, had families or had no one, all races, male & female.

Old 01-22-2018, 03:55 AM

18,728 posts, read 33,396,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
1st world problems.
I have too much money and all I ever need in life and still off myself.
Dangerous statement. Anyone can suffer major depression and depression is not usually about one's job or possessions or place in life. It's a *mental illness* and not necessarily ABOUT anything. It is not a First World problem, you just hear about the well-known people who kill themselves. I work in the psychiatric field and ordinary people with or without success or money or love or not kill themselves every day because they are suffering from a mental illness.

I will always miss Chris Cornell. What a giant of music. Another casualty of mental illness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment