Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 08:57 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,097,759 times

Advertisements

Perhaps nothing? Perhaps quite profound.

I am an amateur musician. I've always dreamed of making a living playing music.

In the past year, three rock singers killed themselves. Chris Cornell, Chester something, and Dolores O'Riordan (allegedly). Two of which have been a pretty big part of my life, the third none.

Regardless, these are persons that in a 'career' sense seemingly had it all.

They were all (I assume)...

1) Wealthy enough to quit working and doing music all together and do whatever they wanted if they so chose.

2) Or could keep working based on their past hit music, yet...

3) ... were out of the limelight enough that they had creative flexibility to write new songs, go in new creative directions (or do #1).

4) Along with the last point, and the type of music they played, the work wasn't that demanding. In other words, not like being the first chair violinist with the London Symphony Orchestra, you have the pressure of being on top your game or being usurped.

5) They were old enough and out of the rock star life enough to not be on suicidal massive drug and alcohol induced week long benders.

Basically what everybody wants in a career. Something they are passionate about. Something where you have job security. Something where your financial security is guaranteed. Something where you have some autonomous flexibility to exert your creative juices.

Yet. Depression. Suicide. Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2018, 09:56 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
You can be depressed and commit suicide in any job. You can have money and commit suicide. Furthermore, what does your job have to do with committing suicide? They committed suicide because of their JOB? What about Robin Williams?

I didn't look into the details of anyone who did it, rock singers or not. Why were they depressed, is the real question? Is that revealed to the public? Why didn't they LOOK depressed? Did they have an on/off switch that they could turn off while on on the job? I don't think you could tell Robin Williams was depressed. I doubt any singer moped around on stage while performing. So when they weren't distracted and had down time at home and their thoughts to themselves, what were they thinking? How were they feeling?

Old 01-20-2018, 10:25 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
1st world problems.
I have too much money and all I ever need in life and still off myself.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:30 PM

199 posts, read 165,969 times
A lot of musicians have had major drug problems, often leading to death, which is suicidal in a way. I think it's a combination of a.) being surrounded by yes men, b.) attracting drug dealers with expensive drugs, and c.) turning to drugs to cope with the fame. That's probably why a lot of them outright commit suicide like Kurt Cobain, as well.

Let's face it. There is nothing normal about the life of a famous person. They can't go to Walmart or take a walk in the park like a normal person without weirdos begging for autographs. Seriously, they can't go ANYWHERE without that happening. Can you imagine Justin Bieber wandering around out in public like any John Doe? There would be crazy fangirls mobbing him.

That in itself would make most people depressed.

Old 01-20-2018, 10:52 PM

3,661 posts, read 2,948,846 times
No, depressed to me is no job, no money and food is whatever is left at the food bank. The people are weak mentally and well if you're that weak with money and everything those genes probably should not be passed on.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:03 PM

605 posts, read 491,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
I doubt any singer moped around on stage while performing.
You obviously never saw Chris Cornell perform. I saw him at SUNY Buffalo a few years ago, in a show without his band Soundgarden. It was an extremely depressing show, even as it was simultaneously 'a good show'. You could tell the lyrics of 'Fell on Black Days', to mention the standout performance of the show for me, still really resonated. I hate to say that I wasn't surprised by his suicide, but...I wasn't surprised by his suicide.

Old 01-20-2018, 11:12 PM

605 posts, read 491,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 87112 View Post
No, depressed to me is no job, no money and food is whatever is left at the food bank. The people are weak mentally and well if you're that weak with money and everything those genes probably should not be passed on.
Wouldn't call it mentally 'weak'. All three people mentioned in the OP had a history of depression. Sadly, fame/wealth did not change things for them, ultimately. From what I recall reading, Chris hung himself after a show in Detroit where he'd taken 4 times the recommended dose of Ativan, a benzodiazepine (aka, anti-anxiety drug). His wife blamed the drug for his suicide; I'd have to google to see if she talked to him between the close of the show and the suicide (he hung himself in his hotel room not long after the conclusion of the show)

Old 01-21-2018, 12:08 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Let's face it. There is nothing normal about the life of a famous person. They can't go to Walmart or take a walk in the park like a normal person without weirdos begging for autographs. Seriously, they can't go ANYWHERE without that happening. Can you imagine Justin Bieber wandering around out in public like any John Doe? There would be crazy fangirls mobbing him.

That in itself would make most people depressed.
I agree. There are a lot of factors at play here. Personally, I think the entertainment industry in general attracts and preys on people who are really insecure. This is not a judgment. I think it's sad, really. Because then they get in situation where they can feed those insecurities, and it becomes an addiction. Plus, a lot of musicians aren't really free. If they aren't independent, they are basically owned by their records labels. It looks like a glamorous life to outsiders, but it comes with its own set of golden handcuffs.

Old 01-21-2018, 12:27 AM

3,117 posts, read 4,587,033 times
It doesn't tell anybody anything. Throughout history, the best artists the world has cultivated have always been heavily skewed towards the mentally unstable or tortured soul types. They channel their pain through their medium, whether it's painting or sculpting or music or whatever. That's what makes it seem real to everyone else, and what makes what you see/hear/etc. feel like it's telling you a story.

Money doesn't suddenly make that inner strife gho away. Hell, it amplifies it, because now not only are they tormented, but they've got to always be on guard for those looking to take advantage of them or willing to impose upon their privacy.

Old 01-21-2018, 02:00 AM

5,466 posts, read 3,065,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Perhaps nothing? Perhaps quite profound.

I am an amateur musician. I've always dreamed of making a living playing music.

In the past year, three rock singers killed themselves. Chris Cornell, Chester something, and Dolores O'Riordan (allegedly). Two of which have been a pretty big part of my life, the third none.

Regardless, these are persons that in a 'career' sense seemingly had it all.

They were all (I assume)...

1) Wealthy enough to quit working and doing music all together and do whatever they wanted if they so chose.

2) Or could keep working based on their past hit music, yet...

3) ... were out of the limelight enough that they had creative flexibility to write new songs, go in new creative directions (or do #1).

4) Along with the last point, and the type of music they played, the work wasn't that demanding. In other words, not like being the first chair violinist with the London Symphony Orchestra, you have the pressure of being on top your game or being usurped.

5) They were old enough and out of the rock star life enough to not be on suicidal massive drug and alcohol induced week long benders.

Basically what everybody wants in a career. Something they are passionate about. Something where you have job security. Something where your financial security is guaranteed. Something where you have some autonomous flexibility to exert your creative juices.

Yet. Depression. Suicide. Why?
I've always liked sia, she hides her face because she doesn't want the problem of fame.
She wants to be able to go shopping for bread without being mobbed. At first I thought she was nuts then realized she's way ahead.
And she is very talented.

https://youtu.be/ILTZ8qZbNK0
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment