Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2018, 10:33 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times

Advertisements

"Oh crap, who's knows how to do his work?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2018, 10:42 AM

22,278 posts, read 21,733,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Okay, do you regularly hang out with your coworkers on the weekends? Do you know what they REALLY think about the company/management?

When you quit or get fired, will these people still talk to you or will they just disappear from your life? You might be surprised.
We hang out after work, yes, but not weekends as we have families and none of us live close together (more like 50-100 miles apart) And yes, we are very candid about what goes on in our org. We know where all the bodies are buried.

If I quit or get fired, we absolutely will stay in contact, as we believe in professional networking. I rarely lose touch with people I have worked with in the past. LinkedIn is great for staying close with former colleagues.

Old 01-29-2018, 11:07 AM

8,166 posts, read 8,528,805 times
"Died?" "Who?" Where'd he work?"

Old 01-29-2018, 11:15 AM

11,760 posts, read 14,656,809 times
People would be devastated. I've been here almost thirty-five years, there are tons of people here who would say that they have learned everything they know from me, and based on retirement parties I've attended I know that many, many people would want to be at the funeral. Unfortunately for me, since I don't plan to retire, I don't ever expect to hear the things that people would say about me at a retirement party (or funeral).

Old 01-29-2018, 11:50 AM

2,382 posts, read 3,502,455 times
They would toss my corpse into the dumpster, then put out a "help wanted" sign.

Old 01-29-2018, 12:11 PM

2,415 posts, read 4,247,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Where I work, a few of the people might pretend that they are sorry about my death for a few minutes, but that would be it.

I would be forgotten about the next day, except that my boss would post a job ad to replace my position.
They would be unemployed. I own the company.

SS

Old 01-29-2018, 05:29 PM

16,289 posts, read 32,350,015 times
Do you think about the people that retire from your place of employment? What about those that quit or get fired?

I have been working at the hospital for a couple weeks shy of 20 years. I have seen people come and go. When they leave that it is. You may think about the funny or stupid things people do. I don't think that most of us will be remembered long when we leave.

Old 01-29-2018, 05:58 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
I have worked at my institution for 7 years in two different offices, and my role causes me to interact with hundreds of people across campus. My loss would be very felt on a personal level in addition to a professional one. Many on my team get lunch together or go out after work, and we have a very close relationship in general. I suspect my department would shut down for about a week.

I know this because I'm currently dealing with the death of a good friend who also works at the same institution, though we never worked together. We met at work but we had a circle of friends of coworkers who hung out after work pretty frequently. She passed away 2 weeks ago in her sleep from the flu, and was gone at least 3 days before I went to check on her after hearing from her family that they hadn't been able to reach her. It's been awful. The senior manager of my department gave me carte blanche to take time off to grieve without it counting against my PTO. My direct coworkers have been bringing me food and checking in frequently. They've also enabled me to enlist our special events team to plan a memorial this week - they handle the details and I just add the color. Many went to her funeral despite it being 2 hours away.

I recognize I'm very lucky in this regard, and that's part of the reason why it's so hard to leave despite making below market wage and having a very high stress, overworked role. I am aiming to be out by summer, especially after I was recently told I was getting a promotion and raise, as well as a staff to help manage the growing workload, only to be told three days later that there was a budget meeting and it would no longer be possible. But I know I won't get this work environment elsewhere and that's a hard pill to swallow.
Are you leaving the Boston area?

Old 01-29-2018, 06:09 PM

15,866 posts, read 21,445,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Are you leaving the Boston area?
That's the plan. I'm currently only applying for jobs outside of Boston, though still hoping to stay relatively close but in a city with a lower cost of living (Providence, Worcester, Albany primarily). I love my job, warts and all, but the cost of living is skyrocketing faster than my compensation.

It's really obvious to me reading this thread that I would miss a lot of the congenial relationship building I've become accustomed to at other employers.

Old 01-29-2018, 06:29 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,921,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charolastra00 View Post
That's the plan. I'm currently only applying for jobs outside of Boston, though still hoping to stay relatively close but in a city with a lower cost of living (Providence, Worcester, Albany primarily). I love my job, warts and all, but the cost of living is skyrocketing faster than my compensation.

It's really obvious to me reading this thread that I would miss a lot of the congenial relationship building I've become accustomed to at other employers.
It's possible to live in Providence and Worcester and still keep your job in Boston, though...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment