Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:58 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,816,297 times

Advertisements

Well I left my job almost three years ago, yet over 30 people from my old job wished me a happy birthday on Facebook. We were like a happy family working together, especially on the holidays.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,485,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
That's true for easily 90% of the people in the world.
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
I attended the funerals of all my colleagues. I went to every one of their funerals because I liked them or wanted to be supportive and attend for the family's comfort.

If you think work people are your friends, you are mistaken. they are your colleagues, not family or friends.
Never had to deal with a coworker's death, but I'd imagine it'd be much like this. Many would attend. Some out of genuine show of respect. Others would, but only to keep up the imagery that they're not disrespecting a death. Truth be told, there are some cases where if you can't make it, then that could be fine. No judgment.
When people got fired, management sweeps that news under the rug and moves on. Others get the cue that they shouldn't press on with more questions if they have them.
When people leave, or get laid off, they typically hold a going away event for them. An actual, catered party, but more so, drinks/meal at a restaurant, or as simple of bagels and cream cheese in the mess hall.

Old 01-30-2018, 11:58 AM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
It depends upon HOW you die. I lost 84 of my coworkers in one day. Another one survived in the burn unit for almost two months before succumbing to her injuries. Because it was a national tragedy, we mourned them all even if some people might have liked some of them better than others.

Another coworker died a few years after that. She was complaining that she was feeling bloated from going to too many holiday parties in December and eating too much rich food. The week after Christmas, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and she was dead by the first week in February. She could be a biatch and very abrupt. I got along OK with her, but even people who were put off by her personality were shocked and horrified at her death at 45--except one. A secretary in the office loudly declared that she didn't like "Sue" and that she wasn't going to pretend to be sad that she was dead because she wasn't.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:02 PM

88,689 posts, read 85,015,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by retired58 View Post
If I had died while working and my wife called them to let them know,their reply would be He still has to be here at 7 o' clock as they don't listen very well
That reminded me--years ago ago a secretary where I worked dropped dead of a heart attack next to her car in the garage while getting ready to go to work. Her husband found her.

He called the office, and the phone was answered by another secretary, who was a friend of mine. She said he said, "This is Elaine Brown's husband. Elaine won't be in today. She's dead."

Old 01-30-2018, 12:04 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,353,566 times
My customers and coworkers and supervisors will miss me whether I die or relocate and resign. Hoping for the latter.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:18 PM

75 posts, read 44,012 times
No one would care, especially management. My desk would be picked over before my body got cold. And my job would be posted asap.

Old 01-30-2018, 12:44 PM

272 posts, read 184,711 times
Maybe be sad for a day then they'd hire someone else to replace.

Old 01-30-2018, 03:29 PM

15,652 posts, read 10,421,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It depends upon HOW you die. I lost 84 of my coworkers in one day. Another one survived in the burn unit for almost two months before succumbing to her injuries. Because it was a national tragedy, we mourned them all even if some people might have liked some of them better than others.

Another coworker died a few years after that. She was complaining that she was feeling bloated from going to too many holiday parties in December and eating too much rich food. The week after Christmas, she was diagnosed with ovarian cancer, and she was dead by the first week in February. She could be a biatch and very abrupt. I got along OK with her, but even people who were put off by her personality were shocked and horrified at her death at 45--except one. A secretary in the office loudly declared that she didn't like "Sue" and that she wasn't going to pretend to be sad that she was dead because she wasn't.
i understand what you are saying. customers we worked with for two decades, one good friend, and innocent family members and neighbors of people we knew for years were murdered by Muslim terrorists on 9/11/01. we went to the funerals. we went to show the family we cared.

Last edited by texan2yankee; 01-30-2018 at 03:56 PM..

Old 01-30-2018, 03:54 PM

13,287 posts, read 8,482,644 times
It was a rude awakening where I worked. Supposedly we were like 'family'.til: a co worker pulled over on the side of the road,called 911 and the office. He was experiencing a heart attack. He was 27 with a child on the way. Our place of business said: so you aren't going to make it to your next service call? Tell us where the car is so we can take care of the customer.

What a wow! Moment. Needless to say....when he was released from the hospital he resigned. He understood that all they cared about was a sale or service...being human or healthy made no difference. Business is heartless. And mostly blind.

That place has the 'business as usual'. Carry on and all that.

So relieved to not be part of that mind set. Sure where I work currently they'd need to hire a replacement,but our boss would still be human and comfort the staff when a member has passed. She understands living ppl need that.

Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,743,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whateverblahblah View Post
Where I work, a few of the people might pretend that they are sorry about my death for a few minutes, but that would be it.

I would be forgotten about the next day, except that my boss would post a job ad to replace my position.
I was put out to pasture, at least a year before I retired. It ended up being a good time, even if I didn't die.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment