Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 04:11 PM

10,930 posts, read 11,723,439 times

Advertisements

The statistics are pretty basic. It's the data that causes problems, calling for some special skills in how to massage and work with large data sets.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2018, 04:18 PM

2,241 posts, read 1,475,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frihed89 View Post
The statistics are pretty basic. It's the data that causes problems, calling for some special skills in how to massage and work with large data sets.
Do you use a lot of R, Python, and SQL?

Old 02-15-2018, 04:23 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
I started out as an actuary but then changed to it. I had a minor in math but majored in something else. No one cared. This was years ago.
Piece of advise - pass your first few tests while in college and you should have no problem getting a job.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:33 PM

24,559 posts, read 18,254,477 times
My Computer Science undergrad had enough joint math courses that I could have been a math major. A physics or chemistry degree heavy in quantum mechanics would work since it’s all probability theory.

Old 02-15-2018, 04:55 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,621,161 times
I know 2 guys with accounting degrees who are actuaries.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 PM

3,452 posts, read 4,618,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
I know several people that work in the field that do not have math degrees but for the most part they are math intensive degrees like physics, engineering etc. (I have an actuarial degree and work in the field)

If you communicate well and pass 2 exams or so you should have a shot of getting a job starting *somewhere*, especially if you can get into an insurance related position like underwriting and then try to transition.

I'd strongly suggest you read the links provided earlier in the thread to learn more.

Are you in college? Looking at colleges? Out in the workforce?

The answer to that changes things a lot imo.

To give you an idea of what your competition is, a solid applicant for an entry level position has a couple exams done and an internship under their belt. Don't pillory me, there are always exceptions but that is your typical scenario.

This. The exams are king when it comes to becoming an actuary.

And to pass the first you will need to have a thorough understanding of calculus based probably which is an upper level mathematics course that requires both calculus 1 and 2.

Chances of a person pasing the exams without taking at least three years of college level mathematics is slim.

I say get the mathematics degree and begin studying and taking exams during your third year of school.

Old 02-15-2018, 08:04 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,130,025 times
Someone in my family (30 years old) works as an actuary. She has a bachelor's degree in philosophy, with no additional master's degree. She has two remaining actuarial exams to take. Not only is she really great at math, but she also got lucky with her immediate family and has a math genius father who tutors her.

Old 02-15-2018, 11:33 PM

1,609 posts, read 1,600,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usamathman View Post
This. The exams are king when it comes to becoming an actuary.

And to pass the first you will need to have a thorough understanding of calculus based probably which is an upper level mathematics course that requires both calculus 1 and 2.

Chances of a person pasing the exams without taking at least three years of college level mathematics is slim.

I say get the mathematics degree and begin studying and taking exams during your third year of school.
I have a degree, but its a general humanities degree with a minor in general history—nothing to do with math. I’m pretty good a math, too, though. I’ve always been something of an academic jack of all trades...its just more practical matters I’ve always struggled with.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:24 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,518,456 times
I went to a college where they actually had a degree offering in actuary sciences.

Is it worth you time to go back to school? Maye there is something online you can take.

Old 02-16-2018, 06:39 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,281,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
I have a degree, but its a general humanities degree with a minor in general history—nothing to do with math. I’m pretty good a math, too, though. I’ve always been something of an academic jack of all trades...its just more practical matters I’ve always struggled with.
I think being an actuary is more than just being "good at math," TBH. I've worked in insurance so I've met quite a few actuaries; most had at least a bachelor's degree in mathematics or statistics.

I should add that I have also known some people attempt to make a lateral move into actuarial science; these people pulled 5s on their Calculus AP exams, won mathematics competitions in school, and took advanced mathematics courses in college (though none had degrees in mathematics). All of them failed the first exam. So study study study!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment