Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2018, 10:29 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times

Advertisements

Whenever Ive seen companies play it cheap to hit a short term expense reduction to look good for the shareholders it almost always NEVER ends well in the long run. Because all you're doing is adding responsibility on those who didn't get cut. The result:

1. A burned out workforce that quits
2. Low Morale which affects output anyways
3. Loss of valuable/knowledgable employees with years of institutional knowledge etc. Resulting in the blind leading the blind.
4. More call-ins by employees (And work is generally left untouched until they get back)

This all affects the operation long term and as a result business declines and could eventually close. There is only so many hours in the day. And an overwhelmed workforce is going to have trouble keeping up sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2018, 10:52 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,224,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drooliette View Post
Hi all,

My department recently laid off 3 people last month. 2 people have also resigned in the past few months and their positions were never replaced. People are now taking on a much bigger workload. Is this a sign that the department isn't doing well income wise? Should I start looking?

Thanks!
That depends. Do you anticipate this requiring you to work large amounts of unpaid overtime?
Companies are doing this whether they are doing well or not. They've destroyed the union movement, now they mean to work you until you break down. Then you will be replaced.

Old 02-25-2018, 11:31 AM

7,019 posts, read 3,751,659 times
Plus you have to hope that the vacancies are filled with the right people.

Old 02-25-2018, 01:00 PM

10,225 posts, read 7,587,698 times
Quote:
Hi all,

My department recently laid off 3 people last month. 2 people have also resigned in the past few months and their positions were never replaced. People are now taking on a much bigger workload. Is this a sign that the department isn't doing well income wise? Should I start looking?

Thanks!
That's what a layoff is. Laying off people whose jobs are no longer needed. That can happen because those duties are no longer needed in the business, or because of a move to more efficiency.

A cutting-back program is two-pronged: A layoff, and not replacing people who leave. (attrition)

It could be because the company is having some financial issues (maybe not serious...just not as good as they like), or it could just be to become more efficient.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:49 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
That's what a layoff is. Laying off people whose jobs are no longer needed. That can happen because those duties are no longer needed in the business, or because of a move to more efficiency.

A cutting-back program is two-pronged: A layoff, and not replacing people who leave. (attrition)

It could be because the company is having some financial issues (maybe not serious...just not as good as they like), or it could just be to become more efficient.
lay offs are not attrition. Attrition is what state governments and federal government does, when someone retires or quits the positions is not filled. Lay offs are not attrition, they are lay offs.

The whole idea behind attrition is that no one is involuntarily displaced and their families potentially destroyed. This is why I have been overwhelmingly applying to govt jobs because they care more about their work force.

Old 02-25-2018, 03:49 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,911,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If you had to work till 60 then it could not have been that good of money .... either that or you had massive spending issues. The saddest thing is watching people wreck their lives for peanuts, I quoted a specific number because what people think is good money really isent.

Anyone with any signficant STEM training / degrees and experience is worth a minimum of 120k to just do 40 hours a week without too much stress. In situations like yours where there is excessive OT or worse travel to remote sites away from family for more than a day or two is 220k.c.
Where is that? I'm ready to apply. Electrical Engineer.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:04 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,116,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pvande55 View Post
Where is that? I'm ready to apply. Electrical Engineer.
Where you are treated like a slave but paid well, I have been offered a few of these sorts of Jobs in the middle east, the problem was the pay was somewhere around 150-180k so they are trying to whittle the pay down even for those jobs. I have talked to people who have taken these jobs and they are unimaginable hell, both in terms of the natural environment and the people you work with. They said the countries they worked in the managers were sub human trash that should have been hit by a reaper drone. From what I gathered these people were irritated that we did not have complete control of their nation and extract the oil for free as they lot the war in the middle east. The only exception I would make is if you can get a gig in Isreal, the Israli's hate all of the sub human trash around them and are Gods chosen people.

If you go to Saudi or Iraq and you are not a civilian attached to a military unit that leverages the barrel of a gun to ensure politeness of the trash then I would not go. You want to make sure people smile and say hi because the fear the reaper, litteral reaper up in the sky loitering.

The better question is where can I go where I have a well respected stable LEGALLY PROTECTED job and the answer to that is Germany. Trying to get my wife on board to make the move is the issue.

You will make 60-100k in Germany but the country supports and funds engineering and science, once they purge all of the undesirables it will be even nicer.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:45 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,768,929 times
Quote:
I work for one of those too big to fail companies. Other departments seem to be doing okay, but it's my department in particular that decided to do the lay offs.
Read what the OP says. It is not something that is going on throughout a very large company. It is only one department it is happening in. This means it is not a company in trouble, as most posters seem to think. It is only one department this is going on. This is following large corporation trends.

Lets look at what is going on.

Only one department is having troubles, so they have been laying off the dead wood, and a few have quit. They have not replaced any of those that have left. They are getting ready to make one of the following changes if they follow what is the normal pattern in large corporation.

1: Do away with that department entirely, as the corporation no longer needs those employees. They may be in the process, automating those people out of existence.

2: Are preparing to move the work done in that department, over onto other departments.

3: Going to fire the manager, and bring another on board. They will let the new manager evaluate current employees and keep the ones the new manager approves of, and hire and approve all new people in that department. If this is the choice, they are still selecting or training the new manager.

Those are the three alternatives companies follow, when they have an under-performing department. As the OP says, it is not company wide, but in one small department. The company feels those in the department are either not earning their salaries and are getting ready to make some changes. Making drastic changes, or eliminating the department, and is SOP (standard operating procedure) for large corporation.

In my corporate days, I was the one brought in to solve problems on two occasions.

Old 02-25-2018, 04:58 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,642,029 times
Quote:
I work for one of those too big to fail companies. Other departments seem to be doing okay, but it's my department in particular that decided to do the lay offs.
No, you don't work a too big to fail company, you could be swallowed up in a merger or the company could fold.

Don't know how old you are but there were companies who if you told people years ago would disappear they would have looked at you like you were insane.

Start looking.

Old 02-26-2018, 03:06 AM

4,972 posts, read 2,714,147 times
Default Layoffs to Save On Labor Costs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post

Layoffs also happen when the jobs of the laid off workers are still there and are needed, it is just that the workers in them are making too much money, so management lays these workers off and replaces them with new workers who are making less money.

This happened to me and my colleagues (about 40,000 employees in all). We were layed off by my former company because we were making too much money. Our jobs are still there, it's just that other people are now doing our jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment