Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2018, 05:19 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,860,522 times

Advertisements

I evaluate people based on their performance. I wouldn't be so sure he's worse than you if he gets the job. It would make me look bad to help promote the wrong person and my own job comes first so if your manager is not an idiot, he/she will do the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2018, 05:30 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Stay with what you wrote, don't be saying "I stay within the lines, not like Mr. Snotty" do not speak of the other candidate. Tout your abilities only....
Exactly.

I sense the OP is angling to do something to highlight his work while perhaps off handedly trying to make the other guy look bad. I say this, and some of you probably sensed it also, because the gist of the original post is that this other guy is a 'bad' worker that doesn't stay in his lane, and the OP feels he deserves the position more than he does. People see right through those sorts of things and it never makes anyone look good on the job to try and undermine others.

It's not hard to focus on your strengths and what you bring to the role in an interview while being positive, and not badmouth others. There's plenty of resources online on how to give great interviews.

I will say that since this other worker is good friends with the department director, the OP may be facing an uphill battle, and not to get consumed if he doesn't get the position. But it never hurts to try, you never know.

Old 03-06-2018, 06:24 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post
Need some advise from the group regarding an internal candidate interview coming up in a couple weeks.

I have worked in the same position for several years. Lets call this job "Level 1".

I have done excellent at this job for 5 years, always get excellent annual appraisals, and have earned educational certifications related to the job.

A year ago, we hired on another person who is at the same level as me. This person is condescending, acts like he knows everything, and is known to be rude to clients. However he is good friends with my departmental director.

My main problem with this co-worker is that he does not do his "Level 1" job, he insists on doing the "Level 2" job. He has been talked to by his direct supervisor, and told that he needs to do his own job and not ones above him.

Meanwhile I am grinding it out, doing the work of two people at the "Level 1" job, while he messes around and thinks he is some super high end employee.

Anyways, a job posting came up for this "Level 2" job, and both of us have applied.

What are some good lines to use to express that I am a loyal employee, work within my scope of work, and am willing to learn, but also follows rules of the organization.
Personally, I would be leary of hiring either of you. You are way too fixated on “the other guy” and his faults, which is clouding your perspective and likely limiting your potential should your supervisor catch wind of your feelings. The other candidate apparently has a problem staying in his own lane, however that could also be looked at as drive and initiative. Do your job to the best of your abilities and leave others to do the same.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:07 PM

179 posts, read 149,696 times
If providing a resume, use spell/grammar check, have someone else review it; include current contact information, and make sure your voicemail isn't full (in case they do want to contact you)
Groom/dress appropriately for the interview
Listen to the questions, answer the questions with specifics (not generalities), answer each part of the question.
Be respectful to all interview panel members (if more than one)
Brag (but be honest)
Take your time, don't rush
Leave your cell phone at your desk; if you must have it with you, turn it OFF

I've been part of interview panels, the above are some of my pet peeves (we structured interviews, and usually candidates have 30 minutes for prep with questions prior to the interview. We do some competency questions..."tell me about a time.., what did you do, were you successful, what would you change...? That's a 4 part question, most people stop after 1st question. We have to rate based on a 9 point scale for each question, that way everybody has the same scoring criteria. If you don't answer the entire question, you haven't demonstrated past behaviors.

Most of all, I hate when candidate brings cell phone, even if it's on vibrate, and picks it up or looks at it during the interview; I then think the interview isn't that important that you can't stay focuses for the short duration of the interview.

Old 03-06-2018, 09:49 PM

1,425 posts, read 1,387,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
The hiring manager will end up hiring his/her nephew or friend doing “level 0” work from outside the company. Just watch

Reality is, no one cares about a hard working, dependable, loyal employee anymore. Those days are long gone

If it just between you two, you may get overlooked because you are just that (hardworking dependable, loyal). Those people are generally glossed over. The last good for nothing that’s in the bosses ear all day gets the nod. Connections trump performance every time. And most times laziness trumps hard work. Lazy people aren’t deemed a threat
I need to memorize it by heart and start every morning from repeating of this mantra.

Old 03-07-2018, 06:20 AM

138 posts, read 114,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post

If it just between you two, you may get overlooked because you are just that (hardworking dependable, loyal). Those people are generally glossed over. The last good for nothing that’s in the bosses ear all day gets the nod. Connections trump performance every time. And most times laziness trumps hard work. Lazy people aren’t deemed a threat
I don't endorse this way of thinking, but it's very much reality. They aren't glossed over because of the other person's connections. They are glossed over because now the boss needs to replace his/her star from the Level 1 position, and that might not be easy. OP has stayed in the Level 1 position too long. Promoting the more mediocre person from Level 1 into Level 2, means he/she won't lose their Level 1 star, and the boss gets on the mindset that the other person can be "trained" into the position.

OP stayed at the position too long. Their only hope for advancement is to get a job at the competitors "Level 2" position.

Old 03-07-2018, 08:03 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,738,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Disgustedman View Post
Stay with what you wrote, don't be saying "I stay within the lines, not like Mr. Snotty" do not speak of the other candidate. Tout your abilities only....

EXACTLY!

The worst thing you could do is bring up the other candidate! I would actually type up a summary that shows all of your accomplishments the last 5 years and why you feel you would be the best qualifies (hard worker, dependable, goes up and beyond, you are looking to be with the company long term and want to continue to move up the ranks, etc).

Old 03-07-2018, 08:58 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samantha830 View Post
I don't endorse this way of thinking, but it's very much reality. They aren't glossed over because of the other person's connections. They are glossed over because now the boss needs to replace his/her star from the Level 1 position, and that might not be easy. OP has stayed in the Level 1 position too long. Promoting the more mediocre person from Level 1 into Level 2, means he/she won't lose their Level 1 star, and the boss gets on the mindset that the other person can be "trained" into the position.

OP stayed at the position too long. Their only hope for advancement is to get a job at the competitors "Level 2" position.
This happens for sure but it’s a completely asinine way of thinking on the employers part. Since it just destroys morale and the better candidate will either quit putting in the effort after they see how the hole runs or just quit all together and you’re gonna end up losing them completely. You should always keep your valuable employees happy and motivated. If not they become unhappy and unmotivated.

Higher performers don't stay high performers if they find out theres no incentive and their work is not rewarded or they see people less qualified getting the promotions

Last edited by DorianRo; 03-07-2018 at 09:07 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 09:52 AM

348 posts, read 460,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JH6 View Post

My main problem with this co-worker is that he does not do his "Level 1" job, he insists on doing the "Level 2" job. He has been talked to by his direct supervisor, and told that he needs to do his own job and not ones above him.

Meanwhile I am grinding it out, doing the work of two people at the "Level 1" job, while he messes around and thinks he is some super high end employee.

Based on the above, some might say neither of you should get the position. The way companies I've worked for typically do internal promotions is based on the person in Level 1 doing his/her current job AND some of the job of the level above him/her. It's not about staying in one's lane and just doing that nor is it about doing the job above yours and neglecting your current job. The criteria for promotions is typically excelling in your work and showing you can also do the work (at least some of it) of the next level.

Last edited by fbf2006; 03-07-2018 at 10:09 AM..

Old 03-07-2018, 05:46 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
Its about who you know. I would imagine he gets the job. Not because he is more competent, but because he is friends. So apply, focus on you and what you bring, and hope for the best. But if you don't get it...don't stress. If he cant handle the job at all eventually that will open up again.
..Or they just end the position entirely. I've seen this happen quite a bit recently with expense cutting and downsizing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment