Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 11:45 AM

1,931 posts, read 2,170,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLSFan View Post
all you have to do is live up in alaska where it is -80 in the winter...

but with 2 months off a year, you can miss most of winter
obviously you don't live in Alaska, because everyone knows that Winter is 9 months long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 11:49 AM

1,104 posts, read 919,622 times
Don't feel too down OP, you clearly need challenges and stimulation outside of your current job. Well done for at least recognizing this - some people spend their entire lives trapped in situations they don't want.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
OP, you have seven years of warehouse experience. Your next move could be a warehouse manager at a company that offers opportunities for advancement outside the warehouse for two jobs from now.
This is good advice, but why even limit yourself to warehouses? I think you should experiment. Look at jobs all around in your area. Banking, insurance, engineering, logistics, anything around you. With the right ATTITUDE, you can do well anywhere.

Old 03-28-2018, 12:42 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
You may have dodged a bullet with the customer service job. There is a reason there is high turnover. Of all the jobs I have ever done, customer service was the most frustrating. It's dealing with complaints non-stop and with people who don't want to understand your explanations. I lasted just 6 weeks in customer service, broke my telephone in half during a call and went up to HR. They put me in bad check collections which was a breeze in comparison.

The one thing you didn't say was whether you like the work, money and people aside. If you do, you might look at other firms, or companies. Maybe warehouse work at a pharma or higher tech company. I imagine not all warehouse jobs are the same.

Also your attitude can make all the difference. For years I felt stifled because of the place I worked. It was in a sketchy neighborhood, lots of muggings, bums sitting outside the building. I liked the work but longed for a better location, possibly with better pay. At some point the lightbulb went off and I realized I was in the place that suited me best. I wouldn't have fit in in a more upscale environment. At that point I really started to enjoy my work to the max and stopped looking for anything else until I retired from my company.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:13 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post

The one thing you didn't say was whether you like the work, money and people aside. If you do, you might look at other firms, or companies. Maybe warehouse work at a pharma or higher tech company. I imagine not all warehouse jobs are the same.
Money and people aside, no I don’t like the work either. I’m looking for a total change into another line of work.

Old 03-28-2018, 04:22 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Good luck and choose carefully. I completed a year of law school before realizing I didn't want to be a lawyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Money and people aside, no I don’t like the work either. I’m looking for a total change into another line of work.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:07 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dumb View Post
This is good advice, but why even limit yourself to warehouses? I think you should experiment. Look at jobs all around in your area. Banking, insurance, engineering, logistics, anything around you. With the right ATTITUDE, you can do well anywhere.
ATTITUDE is the key. I always had glowing recommendations from my past employers. But I was never working for them; I was working for myself. I always worked hard so I could hold my head up high and look the next employer in the eye; while telling them that I was a hard worker and I had no fear of them contacting any of my past employers - I encouraged them to do so. I even kept the telephone numbers of all of my supervisors and foremen just for those recommendations.

If you totally burn your bridges and never look back; you wasted all of those years. You end up with nothing to show for it and many fear that references will not help get them hired. I have just seen too many workers, that lose track of the fact that they are not working for the company; they are working for themselves. You just do not want the company to know that; but they are doing the same. It's simply the dance you have to do to succeed.

Old 03-28-2018, 06:11 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,813,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspez View Post
Good luck and choose carefully. I completed a year of law school before realizing I didn't want to be a lawyer.
Thanks. What did you choose to do instead?

Old 03-28-2018, 06:18 PM

3,402 posts, read 3,576,183 times
There are pros and cons in your situation.

Pros:
1)You been working there for a long time, and that 3 weeks vacation is unlikely something you get with the new job. The seniority your dad mention just means you been there for a long time, but without the benefit of choosing your own schedule. I would expect the company to allow you pick a better shift.
2) At least you get a paycheck, better than not having a paycheck.

Cons:
1) Like you said, your lack of job skill might not get you any better job (but I wouldn't say you don't have the ability to learn quickly and adapt to the new work environment, so think positively on this)
2) You are miserable like you said (nothing can be worst for being miserable at work. Why? Because you spend the most of your waking time at work, so you get my point)
3) You are at your max pay (I am sure there are other jobs that you can get pay for $20 and above, like municipal government or your county office)

I say do what you can. Keep looking for a job that you think works for you. However, make sure the new job won't lay you off any time.

Good luck.

Old 03-28-2018, 09:22 PM

468 posts, read 356,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeCastro View Post
Then learn a trade....check your state's trade unions to see about becoming an apprentice....plumber for example......since you live in GA and they have a state lottery check employment opportunities at their website.....maybe drive around an assigned area of the state visiting lottery retailers....restocking tickets and vending machines etc....or maybe land a job holding up Million Dollar Jackpot checks for big winners.....but I still would suggest to learn a trade that automation will not be replacing anytime soon...healthcare is another option....x ray tech training etc....

Get something lined up solid and than leave the job that is making you miserable....your father and others mean will but live your life your way.....and being miserable at a job where you have already achieved the highest pay will just give you health problems in the future.....Learn a trade !!...Long distance truck driving is another option and trucking companies are always looking for good reliable drivers and are willing to pay for them.....Domino's pizza, Walmart and many other companies have their own fleet and rigs.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:20 PM

12,340 posts, read 26,132,425 times
The weakness question in interviews is very common and you're going to have to be more prepared to answer it next time it comes up. It makes me think that you didn't do any prep work for the interview, which is ok since it's in the past, but if you intend to have other interviews, you should do a LOT of preparation.

First Google "how to answer interview weakness question" and once you start reading a few sites, you will then find other questions that you can learn how to answer better.

A possible answer is to find something that is a genuine weakness (that wouldn't affect your performance on the job) and then state how you are addressing the weakness. For example, I've always been anxious in public speaking situations, but I have joined a toastmasters club to learn skills and practice that are already making me a more confident and skilled public speaker. (You wouldn't want to use this example if the job you're applying for has public presentation skills as part of the job description.)

Also Google the STAR method for behavioral interviewing.

I realize this advice is jumping the gun since you're just at the exploration stage but I wanted to mention it since you brought up the interview and why you didn't get that customer service job in your post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment