Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2018, 06:43 PM

639 posts, read 973,120 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
No. You can't build a small business with only $250 in inventory. You know that and I know that.
No one said inventory. It's start up for the demo display.

And yes, that's exactly what I started with. And in my first full year, I sold $66,000 worth - 13 years ago.

I don't know why you're arguing with me on this. I'm sorry if you've had really bad experiences or whatever it is - but there's another side to what's being posted contrary to what your experience has been. You're free to believe whatever you'd like. I'm certainly not trying to sign you, or anyone else on this thread. All I'm offering is another experience to someone who genuinely asked a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2018, 07:05 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,750,073 times
My neighbors sell Herbalife. They actually own 3 nutritional shake shops that make shakes from Herbalife products. You get an aloe and tea for digestion and then the shake. They also sell the products to use at home to make your own shakes. They help others start up the shake shops as well.

They do quite well! They own a house valued at about $360k, own a vacation condo, several cars, a boat and send two kids to private school. They have no other income.

Old 05-17-2018, 08:05 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,872,021 times
The only successful person I knew in MLM was a rich family money inheritance guy. He was selling a lie, that his MLM made him rich.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:11 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,402,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
The only successful person I knew in MLM was a rich family money inheritance guy. He was selling a lie, that his MLM made him rich.
Many people in MLMs have earned money some other way (spouse, inheritance, previous or current job) so it's easy to fool others into thinking they got rich through the MLM itself. When they did not. These businesses are built on packs of lies. It's a proven fact that over 95% of people in MLMs earn very little or nothing.

Old 05-18-2018, 06:30 AM

4,272 posts, read 6,306,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CypressHeat View Post
Most of us who have social media have that one friend. Usually a young mom with a young kid or two who doesn't have a real job, posting constantly about "GREAT deals!" she has available that's only available for a "LIMITED TIME!!" 9/10 it's for a product people don't want, nor need. Worse yet are the people you don't know who post constantly on community pages about this great work from home opportunity they have.
A bunch of women in my 'hood got upset a couple years ago when a woman posted on our neighborhood FB page that she thought it would be fun to have a girls' night - drinks, games, whatever. Just a nice meet & greet since our neighborhood is large and it would be a fun way to meet new women in the neighborhood.

Smelling something amiss, I did not attend. Several of my friends in the 'hood did - and it turned out to be a Lipsense party. The attendees were SO ANGRY. NO WHERE in the description of this girls' night did it say anything about it being an MLM party. Everyone truly thought they'd just be hanging out, having drinks, meeting new people and getting away for a few hours.

The next day women flocked to the invite on the FB page and tore the woman a new one, saying it was really devious to promote a girls' night to get to know each other but really have it be for sales. The host apologized and said she never intended to dupe anyone, but the damage was done.

Old 05-18-2018, 08:10 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,561,569 times
It really amazes me that in 2018 ANYone makes money from an MLM. The brand names just bring chills to my body, Herbalife tells me to run the other way as fast as possible, as does Amway and Primerica.

Old 05-18-2018, 09:31 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,885,867 times
I was 18, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, looking for a college job. I saw the now-cliche Vector Marketing "work for students" ad. When I called the recruiter, he told me I'd be a product demonstrator. "Sure, I can do that", I said. He scheduled me for a group interview.

When I showed up, the "group interview" turned out to be a sales pitch for a "Cutco business opportunity". The direct sales/telemarketing aspect was never mentioned, but it became increasingly transparent as the "interview" went on. Sure enough, I was hired. So I came for what they called a "training session". That's when I knew something was amiss. I found out that I will need to hassle personal contacts to buy the stupid Cutco knives under the pretext of "practicing for a new job". I did not return after that day.

Last edited by MillennialUrbanist; 05-18-2018 at 10:31 AM..

Old 05-18-2018, 10:23 AM

141 posts, read 244,178 times
All the MLM products you can sell, whatever service, you could make a affiliate niche website using Amazon products and market that to your friends or family without hoodwinking them. If you want a sales job, get one at a car lot, or telemarketing. It's uncomfortable but if you get good at those you'll never be without a job or a way to make money.

Old 05-18-2018, 10:44 AM

12,322 posts, read 17,151,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillennialUrbanist View Post
I was 18, bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, looking for a college job. I saw the now-cliche "work for students" ad, for Vector Marketing. When I called the recruiter, he told me I'd be a product demonstrator. "Sure, I can do that", I said. He scheduled me for a group interview.

When I showed up, the "group interview" turned out to be a sales pitch for a "Cutco business opportunity". The direct sales/telemarketing aspect was never mentioned, but it became increasingly transparent as the "interview" went on. Sure enough, I was hired. So I came for what they called a "training session". That's when I knew something was amiss. I found out that I will need to hassle personal contacts to buy the stupid Cutco knives under the pretext of "practicing for a new job". I did not return after that day.
This is what they commonly do. Once people are there they will try to stick it-out often even ignoring the initial feeling something is not right due to the fact they already made the effort to attend. They use all sorts of jargon to spin things. Then the implanted visions of lots of free time while making a lot of money. Most wind up disappointed though, often causing friction with family, friends and others.

Old 05-18-2018, 11:02 AM

17,403 posts, read 11,994,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
So you're implying that people who can't make it in MLMs are just "lazy". Not buying that. It's very common for MLM-brainwashed people to believe that those who aren't interested in the MLM "opportunity" have something wrong with them. Why can't you accept that many people simply don't want to do this? Sure, I know people who hate their jobs but at the end of the day, they have health insurance - something you don't get from MLM. Along with paid vacation time, stock options, 401K, etc. I wouldn't throw all that away to hawk lipstick or leggings. You see, when you try to recruit me I know I'm going to have to cough up several thousand dollars to buy into this "business". And in order to make real money, I'm going to have to recruit other people to do the same, which (whether successful or not) is going to jeopardize or end my relationships with other people. And I don't mix money and friendship that way. I want my friends to remain my friends. I have someone right now trying to recruit me into Norwex and I'm already losing respect for her along with my patience.
This!

I lost a friendship of over 30 years thanks to MLM. My college roommate retired from her teaching job, and got involved in a MLM scheme. She asked once if I wanted to get involved, and I told her "no". She kept her distance for awhile, but I noticed on FB that she was going to conferences, and retreats, and getting completely sucked into that life.

Then she asked if I would take a call from her, so she could "practice" her pitch. No obligation, she assured me. I said yes, and when she called, her "up-level" person was also on the phone. They both assured me it was just for practice. Still fine. Then the other person started asking over and over why I wasn't interested in getting involved. I told her no a few times, at first politely, then more firmly. I finally asked my friend, who was pretty much quiet during the whole thing, what she was doing. They both proceeded to whine about "why I wasn't interested in getting rich, and asking why I didn't want to quit my job to make more money and work less hours". I was done at that point, and told my friend that if I heard one more word from her about it, our friendship was over. She continued, "but...." and I disconnected the call. We haven't spoken since.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment