Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 04:04 PM

3,285 posts, read 2,668,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Simple mistakes happen from time to time, no one is perfect. Majority of recruiters and almost half the hiring managers out there will automatically reject the candidate, even if that candidate is exactly what they are looking for (minus the typo of course), simply because of one single typo. Automatic rejection. That type of thinking is asinine.
You're always free to start or buy your own company and then run it correctly!

But if you think people are going to see you posting on the Internet and thinking, "Oh, golly gee, High Altitude doesn't approve of the way we do things, we had better change!"... you're going to have a long, long wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2018, 05:37 PM

9,301 posts, read 8,358,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If you have degrees and extensive work experience and have had such a hard time finding work that you have become homeless is the problem you or the society in which you live.

Is it insanity to apply for the 200th job from a library computer or to work on finding a new country or home?

I mean how many times can you tweak your resume, do free work (ie voluenteer work), put on a new suit, etc?

Do other countries have government agencies who act as a sort of clearing house that welcome resumes and applications to see if your skill sets, personality, etc are a match for their nation and then facilitate your arrival. Rather than the USA where you just have to sort of randomly go out and apply to what ever you can find. I realize that this might sound like crazy talk for life in the USA but I cant imagine that every single country in the world operates like the USA does.
As someone who's gone through this particular circumstance, my recommendation is to become a freelancer and work for yourself.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:47 PM

7,032 posts, read 4,912,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
By definition, if a person has a green card, they are not illegal. A green card is a permanent resident card issued by the government. the only thing a green card holder who uses check cashing places is guilty of is poor financial literacy.
You're right and it's not green card I meant to say. Now I can't think of what they're called. I know some illegals come in with a Mexican DL or ID or something. It just has their picture and a few words in Spanish on it. Our manager made us take those for ID. I know one time I had someone come into the 7-11 I worked at with his picture slid underneath where the picture should be. You could tell he added it because the picture was raised under the coating. We also saw a lot of fake out-of-state DLs. Our store had a booklet of all the DLs in every state, and some of those fake ones didn't even come close.

Of course, the illegals couldn't hold a candle to the number of American-born teens that brought in fake IDs trying to buy alcohol.

Note: when you're trying to copy a DL and use whiteout to change your birth date, don't throw the bad copies in the garbage can right next to you and don't forget to take the original DL with you when you leave.

Old 05-22-2018, 10:58 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,190,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
You're always free to start or buy your own company and then run it correctly!

But if you think people are going to see you posting on the Internet and thinking, "Oh, golly gee, High Altitude doesn't approve of the way we do things, we had better change!"... you're going to have a long, long wait.

Lol, no one who posts here is thinking that. At least I'm not and I doubt anybody else is either.

It is a discussion board, where people give a variety of opinions on topics, read others etc.....

Golly gee???? Haven't heard that in a long time.

Old 05-23-2018, 03:13 AM

3,739 posts, read 4,639,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Altitude View Post
Lol, no one who posts here is thinking that. At least I'm not and I doubt anybody else is either.

It is a discussion board, where people give a variety of opinions on topics, read others etc.....

Golly gee???? Haven't heard that in a long time.

You know you have hit a nerve when someone posts: "Start your own company and then you can run it correctly"

Old 05-23-2018, 08:54 AM

11,582 posts, read 6,750,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechaMan View Post
There is a YouTube channel all the naysayers should look at.

It is called "Engineered Truth" https://www.youtube.com/user/EngineeredTruth

Some of these people who post in this forum have literally NO IDEA what the job market is like for relatively low/inexperienced 18-25 year olds today. In my experience, the door was barely open in 2010. As of 2016 it is officially closed to "Insiders only". I mentor many young grads today and we always have to use workarounds and alternative methods to get them a decent job. These are grads with 4.0 GPAs from good known schools and quality internship experience.

You can knock all you want, some young people are just going to be locked out of this economy and of course somebody who graduated in college when these kids were born are not going to get it They are partly responsible for closing the door and keeping the system as-is (self-serving) to begin with.

I beg to differ!

I think it depends on where you're looking. I have a lot of cousins that are millennials and all were able to get a jobs after college graduation with no problem. My one cousin just quit her current job to accept another. They are Mechanical and chemical engineers, teachers, bankers, office managers, accountants and a few in IT. All received good job offers right away. Most live in the Chicago land area, but one lives in California, the other in New York and one in Boston. You have to live where the jobs are!

Old 05-23-2018, 09:13 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,528,669 times
Power dynamics people. If you want something from me, you meet my requirements. My requirement is no typos in a resume.

You are free to have your own requirements by not applying to my open job if you see a typo in my job posting.

Both parties are satisfied.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:35 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,399,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Power dynamics people. If you want something from me, you meet my requirements. My requirement is no typos in a resume.

You are free to have your own requirements by not applying to my open job if you see a typo in my job posting.

I don't apply to job postings that have errors in them.

It's a reflection that the person isn't diligent enough to proofread. I don't want to deal with people and potentially a company that isn't diligent & conscientious in how they work.

Old 05-23-2018, 09:39 AM

5,429 posts, read 4,469,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You should hear my mom and my brother. My mom's never worked since she got married (1952). My brother hasn't looked for a job in 30 years. My brother was mad at me when I couldn't find another job in 2008 and he said all I had to do was go into every business I saw and pick up an application. Then, I needed to call those businesses every day and make a pest out of myself until they gave in and hired me. Riiiiiiight.

They both come from the time when you turned in a paper application and started work the following Monday.
I wish I got to experience that world. It is awesome that your brother, who I am guessing still isn't retired, has stayed with one company for 30 years.

Being unemployed in 2008 was not fun for anyone. You are right that no one could pick up applications by that point. Also, in the 21st Century, there's very little that can be done in terms of in-person visits to potential employers or incessant phone calls, even if someone wanted to use those tactics.

Old 05-23-2018, 01:02 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,190,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post

I don’t think anyone is saying you can’t or you don’t have free choice, just how smart or not that type of policy is considering where we are at now and the ramifications it has on society.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment