Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 11:11 AM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,607 posts, read 1,086,246 times

Advertisements

OP...yes, it will only get worse as robots take over, more illegals / immigrants are ushered in by the dems and the pop swells.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2018, 11:18 AM

102,218 posts, read 107,956,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
If you have degrees and extensive work experience and have had such a hard time finding work that you have become homeless is the problem you or the society in which you live.

Is it insanity to apply for the 200th job from a library computer or to work on finding a new country or home?

I mean how many times can you tweak your resume, do free work (ie voluenteer work), put on a new suit, etc?

Do other countries have government agencies who act as a sort of clearing house that welcome resumes and applications to see if your skill sets, personality, etc are a match for their nation and then facilitate your arrival. Rather than the USA where you just have to sort of randomly go out and apply to what ever you can find. I realize that this might sound like crazy talk for life in the USA but I cant imagine that every single country in the world operates like the USA does.
The US is a country that has the type of job clearinghouse you describe. They're called "headhunters" in the US, but they're not only for executives. Your city may have such an agency, for people with office administrative skills. It may not cost anything to submit your resume to them, either. Also, if you've taken a community college course at any point, to update your skills, you can use their "career services" department for free. They'll help you find jobs, will help you write your resume or tailor it for different job openings, and will email you updates on their job listings.

Also, many cities and small towns, even, have a public agency that offers free seminars in resume-writing, interviewing skills, and other aspects of the job search. Go to the Department of Labor in your location, to see what they offer. These are free services that are taxpayer-funded.

Old 05-19-2018, 01:52 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,481,757 times
Some of the "advice" in this thread...my God, have many you applied for a job after 1990?

Old 05-19-2018, 02:11 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,187,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Not true at all but go on believing this. We haven't seen the OP's resume to know if he is even a good candidate. There could be a perfectly good reason why the OP hasn't found a job.
Yes true.

Lets start with the fact that many, many companies automatically refuse to hire anybody, no matter how skilled or experienced, if they haven't worked in 6 months or more. Automatic no hire. This policy, among many others, is causing it to happen.

Ageism is another.....

ie. we only hire perfect even when others would be great hires and do a great job, and if we don't find perfect we don't hire, which is causing the situation of highly educated and skilled people not being in the workforce in a capacity they should be, which is holding the country back.

Last edited by High Altitude; 05-19-2018 at 02:33 PM..

Old 05-19-2018, 02:37 PM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,623 times
One thing that helped me is that I didn't give up. I'm starting a new job on Monday. Blaming society doesn't get money in your pocket to pay bills so I stopped doing it.

Old 05-19-2018, 02:56 PM

Quote:
If you have degrees and extensive work experience and have had such a hard time finding work that you have become homeless is the problem you or the society in which you live.

Is it insanity to apply for the 200th job from a library computer or to work on finding a new country or home?

I mean how many times can you tweak your resume, do free work (ie voluenteer work), put on a new suit, etc?

Do other countries have government agencies who act as a sort of clearing house that welcome resumes and applications to see if your skill sets, personality, etc are a match for their nation and then facilitate your arrival. Rather than the USA where you just have to sort of randomly go out and apply to what ever you can find. I realize that this might sound like crazy talk for life in the USA but I cant imagine that every single country in the world operates like the USA does.
Now, more than ever, we need a FED program where anybody that is unemployed that wants to work is put into a fed job that is relevant to their education, skills, experience etc... and paid a market wage. Plenty to do in this country. We could go on another massive infrastructure rebuild and expansion.

This would create lots more demand economically as more and more worked, then as companies need more people, to handle all that increase in demand, we could funnel off these workers from government to industry. They would now have recent experience etc..... and hopefully companies would hire them.

It would be a temporary program to get all these people back in the labor market where they should be instead of being unemployed, underemployed, unemployable and being a drain on the country economically.

Old 05-19-2018, 04:10 PM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:

It is unfortunate to see such a post. I have seen you being vocal of late about immigrants taking away jobs, but I am truly sorry if you the post if about your present condition. :|

So many IT people in this forum , feel free to PM .

There are Chemical Engineering positions available in safe countries like Kazakhstan, Middle East etc. And dont worry, you wont be killed or treated badly. If you are a White person, you will treated better than a brown or black person in those places.

There are agencies like Bolashak, Hays or Bahwan who deal extensively with Asia and Middle east. Did you try them??

Last edited by shanv3; 05-19-2018 at 04:19 PM..

Old 05-19-2018, 08:07 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackercruster View Post
OP...yes, it will only get worse as robots take over, more illegals / immigrants are ushered in by the dems and the pop swells.
Oh nonsense. "Illegals" are not taking ENGINEERING jobs. Illegals, in fact, are not taking any jobs that a citizen would even want. The population is DROPPING (birth rate is down and has been for years) and we actually NEED immigrants to swell the numbers of people of working age.

Seriously, what have you been smoking?

Old 05-19-2018, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyewackette View Post
Oh nonsense. "Illegals" are not taking ENGINEERING jobs. Illegals, in fact, are not taking any jobs that a citizen would even want. The population is DROPPING (birth rate is down and has been for years) and we actually NEED immigrants to swell the numbers of people of working age.

Seriously, what have you been smoking?
Not really true.

Who do you think built all the homes, or mowed all the lawns before the big illegal invasion. Americans.

I would love to start a lawn care company, but there is no way to compete with all the illegals doing it, and still be profitable. They pay artificially low wages, don't pay taxes, don't get licenses, don't get insurance etc.... If it wasn't for illegals plenty of jobs in residential construction and other jobs, like lawn care, would pay much better and Americans would do them.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:21 PM

2,129 posts, read 1,778,151 times
Bull. The vast majority of lawn care services here are run by people of Hispanic descent, but they have business licenses and insurance. All the ones that I have ever had dealings with were able to provide documentation for both. AND they checked out. So I seriously doubt there is any great number of "illegals" in the biz.

All the evidence is to the contrary. ALL of it. And while businesses do still hire illegals and try to pay them under the table, sooner or later they get caught.

So no. Start your lawn business or don't, either way it has nothing to do with illegals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment