Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2018, 01:12 AM

7,654 posts, read 5,112,882 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Yes, of course the security and benefits are nice... I’m just saying that most of chose our careers first, rather than specifically wanting to be UNION employees. I didn’t even fully understand the benefits of having a union until after joining, and would have gone into the same field regardless.

The other poster (who I quoted) made it out like we’re all rabid pro-union nutcases, who care more about that than our actual jobs. In my experience that is far from true, and it’s also unfair to call us “dicks and jackasses” based on a few extreme examples. I’ve worked with some wonderful folks over the years, and only had/have a few colleagues who could even be described as “passionate” about the union stuff. For the rest of us it’s more like car insurance - annoying how you have to pay a monthly bill (dues), but great to have when you need it! How many people are rabidly pro-insurance, though?
I think saying that its nice is putting it way too lightly, if your laid off or let go all the other discussion and agruments are moot. All of the rest of the stuff in your post all becomes irreleavent, you wont have to pay a monthly bill becasue you will be collecting unemployment and putting on a dog and pony show in interviews.

The reason some people are "rabid" pro union is because they know the hardships it puts people in when companies can sh!^ can you for any reason, they know the destruction it causes to a community, the increase in crime, loss of dignity having to grovel for a new job in a bad market where employers have choice. Long term unemployment, forced moves, etc, etc.

What I dont understand is why there are still people that think these things are trivial issues? Why would anyone every vote against unions and pro-buisness.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2018, 09:44 AM

2,516 posts, read 1,695,368 times
Unions are important and will protect and fight for your rights, benefits and wages. Many want to do away with unions because they want to have complete control over their employees.

Old 05-31-2018, 09:50 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
How would you like to not survive? Where do people come up with these statements.
Coming from the "Please save me from becoming homeless because every job out there is beneath me" guy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
The reason some people are "rabid" pro union is because they know the hardships it puts people in when companies can sh!^ can you for any reason, they know the destruction it causes to a community, the increase in crime, loss of dignity having to grovel for a new job in a bad market where employers have choice. Long term unemployment, forced moves, etc, etc.

What I dont understand is why there are still people that think these things are trivial issues? Why would anyone every vote against unions and pro-buisness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
Unions are important and will protect and fight for your rights, benefits and wages. Many want to do away with unions because they want to have complete control over their employees.
Because we all know people that have been laid off repeatedly, and for long terms, from large Union controlled companies, or are one of those laid off people ourselves?

These Unions sure haven't had any success in keeping all those manufacturing jobs from going to non-union states, or completely different countries....The Union didn't do jack squat to save my job, other than recommending that I commit fraud on a felony level...

Old 05-31-2018, 10:08 AM

6,417 posts, read 1,430,476 times
I live in a right to work state. Companies can fire people at will. No unions allowed. Thankfully, I work for the Federal Government and I am in a Union, a Federal Union, and it is strong.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:22 AM

213 posts, read 216,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Coming from the "Please save me from becoming homeless because every job out there is beneath me" guy?

Because we all know people that have been laid off repeatedly, and for long terms, from large Union controlled companies, or are one of those laid off people ourselves?

These Unions sure haven't had any success in keeping all those manufacturing jobs from going to non-union states, or completely different countries....The Union didn't do jack squat to save my job, other than recommending that I commit fraud on a felony level...
What would you suggest a union do? Seriously, make a positive suggestion or recommendation. Unions have been crippled over the years due to changes in laws and government regulations such as right to work. Unions are not normally allowed to use membership dues for political purposes, yet companies can spend as much as they wish.

Old 05-31-2018, 10:25 AM

58 posts, read 76,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
I'm not in a union, never have been, and never will be. I have job security... my employer is always trying to bring on good people and retain those they have. So are our competitors and others in noncompetitive verticals. I get raises and promotions... at my last employer, when the annual reviews didn't result in enough of a bump, my response was to leave and give myself a 10% in base comp. I get time off... twenty days per year, plus holidays, plus a two-week shutdown around the holidays, and if I call in sick or with an emergency nobody carps. I don't have a pension, but I do have my 401(k), IRA, taxable savings, etc. and will never be looking for the taxpayer to come bail me out because I happened to be around at the wrong part of the Ponzi cycle.

Unions are a cancer. They exist to exploit working people and direct their hard-earned money to distasteful political causes. They do not protect the hard-working and productive... they penalize those folks by holding them down to the lowest common denominator and making it difficult or impossible to get rid of the deadwood, which increases the workload on those with a work ethic.

Quite frankly, when someone starts going on about unions, I have serious questions about how much of a contributor they could possibly be... it's the do-nothings who are largely eager for special protections from being fired. Those who produce and contribute have little to fear, but an awful lot of people believe just showing up every day is "contributing", and they're the ones who are always carping about "Businesses hate good people and want to fire me to hire some incompetent nephew." BS.
Unions are a Communist plot to brainwash your children and turn them away from the Lord.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:17 AM

12,106 posts, read 23,271,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Fox View Post
I live in a right to work state. Companies can fire people at will. No unions allowed. Thankfully, I work for the Federal Government and I am in a Union, a Federal Union, and it is strong.
Unions are not prohibited in right to work states, nor are they prohibited in at-will employment states.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:24 AM

892 posts, read 1,499,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arabus View Post
What would you suggest a union do?
Cease to exist.

I haven't seen anything positive come out of unions since the early 1900s.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbex View Post
Cease to exist.

I haven't seen anything positive come out of unions since the early 1900s.
You lived in the early 1900s? Tell me about it and why unions came about.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe from dayton View Post
Unions are not prohibited in right to work states, nor are they prohibited in at-will employment states.
"Right to work laws" allow unions in theory. However, any employee has a "right to work" without paying union dues or joining the union and is fully entitled to any and all benefits that a union negotiates for its members.

In practice the union dies or can't be formed because no one has any incentive to pay dues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment