Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2018, 11:29 AM

9,398 posts, read 8,369,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
They are definitely rotting, with incredibly black plaque and build-up around the teeth, and it is clear the bottom teeth are loose and ready to fall out. Whenever she speaks there are several that move around. The upper teeth have large spaces between them and it appears perhaps the gumline is being eroded. The stench is consistent with decay.
So on top of having this tooth issue she's also likely mentally ill to some extent to allow her teeth to get to such a level.

I say go to HR, it's what they're there for.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:29 AM

841 posts, read 553,695 times
Any chance she had weight loss surgery? That can really exacerbate dental issues, even with people who had none to start with.

https://www.bariatric-surgery-source...s-surgery.html

Old 05-31-2018, 11:33 AM

1,112 posts, read 1,144,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa6660 View Post
Any chance she had weight loss surgery? That can really exacerbate dental issues, even with people who had none to start with.

https://www.bariatric-surgery-source...s-surgery.html
Not that I know of. She has been roughly the same weight for years.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:55 AM

Also, even if she lost weight 10 years ago, her teeth had to have been in terrible shape for many years.

Old 05-31-2018, 11:55 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,587,643 times
Wow. I have no additional advice to give, but I feel sorry for you, and for her, as well. There is no way she isn't in a lot of pain.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catgirl64 View Post
Wow. I have no additional advice to give, but I feel sorry for you, and for her, as well. There is no way she isn't in a lot of pain.
I have wondered if it is painful to eat. She may have a sinus issue because she is unable to breathe with her mouth closed. Her office always smells because her mouth is open most of the day. She does seem to have pretty poor self-esteem and has compared herself to me a few times. As her subordinate that made me very uncomfortable.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:30 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
also what if she did not take the dental insurance offered by the company ?. we all don't know even if she has the insurance and if she does not then it would cost her out of pocket upwards of maybe 3-4 thousand dollars to get everything pulled and false teeth , this is not easy I'm sure and could potentially be a job ender for one of you , tread lightly my friend .

Old 05-31-2018, 12:31 PM

560 posts, read 540,266 times
gosh, that is such a dilemma to have. I have dealt with bad breath in office enviornment but not to the extent you have, to the point of incredible bad decay like that.

honestly, with something effecting the office morale to such a degree that you have comments telling you to find another job, the supervisor REALLY need to be made aware of it. Whether by you, HR, her boss, but it really sounds like she needs to be told. Now just because someone needs to be told on a very sensitive delicate nature, one doesn't need to be mean or heartless. It can be said tactfully.

A lot of corporate and official businesses have dress codes, behavior expectations, and so on and the way I see it. teeth/breath falls under personal grooming/clothing code. Someone would be called to attention if an employee kept showing up to work in tank tops and inappropriate bottom wear when the expectation is business casual apparel, so this is no different. Every employee is upheld to the standard expectation of reasonable grooming.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:32 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,546,864 times
Its most likely severe dental phobia. I once met a woman who had not been to a dentist in over 20 years and she ended up with major dental problems as a result of it.

I have dental phobia myself. It wasn't so bad when I was younger. Up until my mid-30's, I went for cleanings twice a year. Its gotten gradually worse as I get older, but I force myself to go to the dentist at least once every year or 18 months. I go to a dentist who specializes in patients with dental phobia. I take xanax and get nitrous oxide at each appointment. I won't go to a dentist that doesn't provide nitrous. If I ever reach the point where I need a major dental procedure, I will probably choose to be sedated for it.

Fortunately I had excellent dental care throughout my childhood, so my teeth are in great shape despite this problem. I floss and use a Sonicare daily, and do not have bad breath.

Old 05-31-2018, 12:37 PM

2,762 posts, read 3,186,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabber_wocky View Post
They are definitely rotting, with incredibly black plaque and build-up around the teeth, and it is clear the bottom teeth are loose and ready to fall out. Whenever she speaks there are several that move around. The upper teeth have large spaces between them and it appears perhaps the gumline is being eroded. The stench is consistent with decay.
Wow.

If you can't ignore it and live with it, I would go to HR and roll the dice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment