Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2018, 02:31 PM

45,427 posts, read 60,623,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Nope.

A continuum is based on the same set of values.

The values are changing from "make people more valuable" to "make people worthless and dehumanize them" - those are not on the same planet and mutually exclusive.
Did you ever work in a factory? Cogs and wheels always. To think work policy towards employees is in some way worse today than in the past is incorrect.

What do people complain about here? Only getting two weeks vacation when you first start. Limited sick leave. And on and on.

In the past you had to work X number of years to even earn one week of vacation. Sick days? What were those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2018, 02:35 PM

4,686 posts, read 6,143,235 times
More and more people are starting to look at many of the food documentaries on Nexflix, Youtube, etc and see the damaging effect of fast food and processed foods in general on your health, could be a main reason why McDonald sales is going down as well.

Their burgers arent really that good, the fries are typically very salty, and te milkshakes are okay, assuming the machine is even working. Add that to the fact that McDonalds isnt really cheap anymore. IF you are going to pay $4 for a luke warm Angus Burger or Grilled chicken sandwich, you might as well go to Subway if you are going to spend $6-7 on a meal. The $5 footlongs really has to be hurting McDonalds as ell too.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:33 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,389,369 times
People that don't eat at McDonald's or fast food in general never pass up any opportunity to congratulate themselves.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:34 PM

5,225 posts, read 6,152,814 times
These are troubling times for businesses, all businesses. Socio-economic factors play heavily on business now. Technology and innovation can bring you from first to last in a heart beat. Just ask Subway and Applebee's.

I am 58 and growing up McDonalds was about it as far as the fast food franchise in town. As time went on Burger King, Burger Chef, Walts Roast Beef started cutting in to market share. Here were are in 2018 and between Taco Bell, Subway, Jimmy John's, Chipolte, and about ten other fast food type franchise which I did not name like Panda Express and McDonalds is no longer the top dog and it is competing for market share as a tired and old warrior.

I first saw the kiosks in Europe and those locations were still full of employees. The article mentioned corporate......I don't know how it is around your town but there are help wanted signs in everyone of our fast food restaurants. Zaxbys has been paying $10 an hour for a while now. Our McDonalds occasionally has to shut down and only operate the drive through as they find themselves short handed. Teenagers don't work after school and on weekends anymore like my generation did. I enjoyed my part time jobs. Obviously this generation doesn't need jobs after school.

My opinion is McDonalds needs to find itself again (reinvent or go back to their roots). In and Out is basically an old school McDonalds with burgers and shakes the way McDonalds used to make them and people fall all over themselves for an In and Out.

If you have a Chik-filet in your town, have you noticed the double lines around the building and servers taking your orders on IPads at lunch time? They are killing it and their business model of getting ingrained in the local schools is working, also have you noticed the clean cut teenagers working behind the counter........that was McDonalds years ago.

There is to much competition for market share right now and yes McDonalds is going to have to restructure in order to find its path.

Interesting article in the link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/03/u...-shortage.html

Old 06-08-2018, 05:41 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,389,369 times
JBtwinz is spot on.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:45 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,231,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Uhm... why not? Is it out of some weird principle that you have?

The kiosks at McDonald's are actually great. They're touch screen, you cycle through the menu, make any adjustments that you'd want (extra pickles, no onions, etc.), pick up and enter the number of the table "tag" thing, pay and find your seat(s). The employees will then bring out the food to your table by finding the table "tag" thing.

Exactly. I much prefer ordering from a kiosk. Far more likely to get the order right, at least on the ticket.

I think it's one of the reasons doing transactions online is so much more popular than doing them over the phone. Just take out the intermediate step that is the source of so many errors.

Old 06-08-2018, 05:59 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,948,107 times
Do you people EVER actually read anything beyond a headline anymore? Apparently not. They are laying off employees from their REGIONAL OFFICES. NOT fast food workers. McDonald's restaurants are franchises, so the franchise owners would decide if they needed to lay off employees. Turnover is so high in fast food that they wouldn't need to lay off people anyways even if they decided to.

And another thing. People like to bash McDonald's like their food sucks and they are going downhill, yet they are by far the largest fast food restaurant in the WORLD, ar about 3 times larger than Starbucks. All the posters in here who think they are geniouses and have it all figured out about why McDonald's is "failing" aren't even smart enough to read the story and know that McDonald's is still the biggest and most successful and only regional office jobs are being lost!

Old 06-08-2018, 06:48 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,605,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The problem with McDonald's is their food, not their employees. The sandwiches and other food portions are too small. When you order a meal at McDonald's you get a message by the size of the portion that says "I don't care about my reputation, I just want to save money by giving you the smallest amount of food that I can get away with."

For a long time this has been the case. I avoid going to this "restaurant" because of these small food portions that seem to be meant for little children rather than adults.

McDonald's can restructure all it wants, but if it doesn't improve the size of their food portions then they will continue to be buffeted around by their competitors
I don’t think it’s size. I think it’s poor service and crappy food (overall). I would rather pay more for real chicken nuggets with quick and friendly service than wait for junk nuggets to be given to me by a rude employee after a 10 minute wait.

Old 06-08-2018, 07:26 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qtbrye View Post
Uhm... why not? Is it out of some weird principle that you have?

The kiosks at McDonald's are actually great. They're touch screen, you cycle through the menu, make any adjustments that you'd want (extra pickles, no onions, etc.), pick up and enter the number of the table "tag" thing, pay and find your seat(s). The employees will then bring out the food to your table by finding the table "tag" thing.

So now instead of the frustration of having to order and rely on someone behind the counter to get it right, you have total control as well as have service closer to a regular restaurant.

I went to one McDonald's with a kiosk yesterday for a quick bite, and today at a non-kiosk one to get my son a chocolate sundae treat and an iced tea for myself. The experience was night and day. At the former, it went fine. At the latter, the teenager employee was uninterested and barely communicated with me on my order. It took a lot of energy to remain patient with him and that was on a simple order. And he gave me the wrong change.
I'm guessing when they're making MW, they just don't give a ****. Another "you get what you pay for" type situations.

That said, vast majority of the cashiers who took my order (from greasy teens, to middle aged adults) have gotten it right (price and order accuracy), and some of them were even friendly to boot I don't doubt that others have gotten "imbeciles-for-brains", but I have to wonder where all these types of employees are. I've been around 5 different regions in the nation, and still have overall satisfactory experiences with their "service".

Old 06-08-2018, 11:35 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,119,173 times
Why do people care, your loosing a poverty level job. IF you cant find another job thats outside of your control, the suffering before you die might suck but its not your fault.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment