Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2018, 02:02 AM

24,643 posts, read 9,468,698 times

Advertisements

McDonalds rather lay off employees to keep up profits in the age of minimal wage hikes and slow business, imagine that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2018, 03:49 AM

5,225 posts, read 6,150,147 times
McDonalds maybe the largest but bottom line it's business model needs refreshing. I am no business genius, but it doesn't take one to see their model has to change........do I care if they do? No, but I am just offering my two cents as an occasional customer and while I travel quite a bit and occasionally grab a quick bite at McDonalds on the road I have visited some stores that are spot on unlike ours in town. For that once or twice a month we get meals for everyone we continue to go inside as it is 50/50 if the order is correct.

They are attempting to stay relevant and in the game. They recently offered a pretty sweet education package for its employees trying to attract a younger workforce. Looking at that link provides other links that offers news on their dividend payouts and sales numbers. Which looks like it contradicts the doom and gloom original link!

McDonald's Triples Crew Tuition Assistance for Restaurant Employees, Lowers Eligibility Requirement to 90 Days | McDonald's Corporation

Last edited by JBtwinz; 06-09-2018 at 03:58 AM..

Old 06-09-2018, 05:41 AM

7,189 posts, read 9,325,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Here are your steps to success McDonald's. I'll be waiting for my check:

1. Improve the quality of the food. They have been increasingly taking shortcuts and using fillers or whatnot and the food just sucks now.

2. Cut back on your menu. Go back to what made you; burgers, fries, soft drinks, shakes.
Agree^^^

When I was a kid in the 50s, and McDonalds was new, their menu was simple: Hamburgers, Cheeseburgers, fries, milk shakes and Coke.

It was a once every other month treat to go there. I remember the food tasted good; back then Coke was made with real sugar, not high fructose corn syrup.

That would still work today, indeed it is the formula used today by In and Out Burger:

http://www.in-n-out.com/menu.aspx

I have no idea why McDonalds thinks having a menu with 70 items would improve quality or service.

Old 06-09-2018, 06:45 AM

16,282 posts, read 10,421,470 times
LOL at all the McDonald's haters here. I'm no fan, there's one a mile away and I only go now and then for a quick breakfast on a day when I have meetings. A Big Mac tastes a lot better when you are 19 then when you are 59 and they didn't change the recipe. When on trips I usually search out another chain because there are only so many Big Macs you can eat in a lifetime before they lose their appeal.

So I'm no big customer or anything but McDonald's is clearly doing something right to be as large as they are. They offer fast, fairly inexpensive meals for people without a lot of time. Nothing wrong with that.

Old 06-09-2018, 07:17 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,850,938 times
I was just thinking the other night, as was sitting in a fast food drive thru, how these chains have declined in recent years. I eat at various fast food places maybe 2 nights a week, because we work late at our shop, do not feel like cooking, and are driving right past a few of them. All of them, be it Taco Bell, McDonalds, Wendys, and Arbys, have gotten really bad , and slow.

We constantly encounter a 20 minute wait to get through the line, they forget something EVERY TIME we get our bag (not just saying EVERY TIME, I mean EVERY TIME) and their computers are down, so they can only take cash, or they are out of some food that we wanted to order.

I realize this is not 5 star dining, but they should at least be able to get you through faster and remember to put everything you ordered into the damn bag. It also seems they are having trouble getting and keeping employees, because we see new faces all the time, and most of them seem to be just learning the job.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:02 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocko20 View Post
mcdonalds rather lay off employees to keep up the CEO's bonus check in the age of minimal wage hikes and slow business, imagine that.
Fixed it for you.

Old 06-09-2018, 09:30 AM

13,480 posts, read 8,388,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
So I'm no big customer or anything but McDonald's is clearly doing something right to be as large as they are. They offer fast, fairly inexpensive meals for people without a lot of time. Nothing wrong with that.
I think McDonald's will be even better once they get self-serve kiosks. Their food isn't bad.

Old 06-09-2018, 10:15 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I think McDonald's will be even better once they get self-serve kiosks. Their food isn't bad.
Not really. The kiosks are not programmed very well and not all options are available. Cheap out on QA and customers always pay the price.

In addition, there won't be any discounts offered if you use the kiosks. More money for the CEO's bonus check!

Old 06-09-2018, 10:32 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusinessManIT View Post
The problem with McDonald's is their food, not their employees. The sandwiches and other food portions are too small. When you order a meal at McDonald's you get a message by the size of the portion that says "I don't care about my reputation, I just want to save money by giving you the smallest amount of food that I can get away with."

For a long time this has been the case. I avoid going to this "restaurant" because of these small food portions that seem to be meant for little children rather than adults.

McDonald's can restructure all it wants, but if it doesn't improve the size of their food portions then they will continue to be buffeted around by their competitors
The "normal" size serving of meat for an adult is 4oz. Americans are pigs.

Old 06-09-2018, 11:05 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,037,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
June 7 (UPI) -- McDonald's said it's planning more layoffs to turnaround business that's struggled to compete with other fast food chains in recent years.

The Wall Street Journal obtained an email that McDonald's President Chris Kempczinski sent to employees, suppliers and franchisees Wednesday saying the restaurant will restructure.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/US/2018...h&utm_medium=7
They have to start selling food to attract more people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment