Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2018, 10:37 AM

199 posts, read 129,186 times

Advertisements

Is it worth it? Without this income we could barely pay the bills so I have stuck it out now for 4 years but it’s getting worse and worse. I’m placing 60 plus purchase orders and half of them come back incorrect because the sales reps enter wrong part #’s, pricing, minimums and nothing is done about this. We just have to fix it (which isn’t an easy process working in an AS400 system) and send revised PO’s. I average 300 emails a day. Most people can’t handle it and quit. I’m crying at my desk, my head is pounding. This isn’t good for my health. Nothing can be done though because the work just keeps coming in. Plus I do extra work that nobody else wants to be trained on and the supervisor won’t do anything about it. I’ve sent my resume out but no luck. No job seems to be worth this.

Last edited by Joanna4k; 06-13-2018 at 10:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2018, 11:01 AM

1,063 posts, read 696,096 times
What are your qualifications?
Hourly wage (or range)?
Do you have a degree?

Old 06-13-2018, 12:19 PM

1,104 posts, read 918,974 times
It sounds like you're very responsible and caring, so take it easy. Your health is more important than some e-mails from sales reps who are making commission off their sales. If you're having to deal with everything all the time, you are probably more valuable than most. I also have to deal with incorrect POs and our system really sucks when people make mistakes. Just slow down and take it easy, think rabbit and hare, it isn't worth destroying yourself over purchase orders.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:31 PM

801 posts, read 547,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
Is it worth it? Without this income we could barely pay the bills so I have stuck it out now for 4 years but it’s getting worse and worse. I’m placing 60 plus purchase orders and half of them come back incorrect because the sales reps enter wrong part #’s, pricing, minimums and nothing is done about this. We just have to fix it (which isn’t an easy process working in an AS400 system) and send revised PO’s. I average 300 emails a day. Most people can’t handle it and quit. I’m crying at my desk, my head is pounding. This isn’t good for my health. Nothing can be done though because the work just keeps coming in. Plus I do extra work that nobody else wants to be trained on and the supervisor won’t do anything about it. I’ve sent my resume out but no luck. No job seems to be worth this.
You are absolutely right. Never kill yourself over a job.

Why are you having trouble finding a job if you have at least 4 years worth of experience? Surely you've learned some transferable skills that can help you switch to another company.

Last edited by Liar_Liar; 06-13-2018 at 12:42 PM..

Old 06-13-2018, 12:36 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
As Liar_Liar said, don't kill yourself over a job.

Immediately update your resume and conduct a stealth job search. This means don't tell anyone at work you're looking for work. When you talk to recruiters, tell them not to contact your current employer and that your job search is confidential.

Then do your awesome work and find a better job.

Old 06-13-2018, 12:44 PM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Change your resume. If you aren't getting responses, it's possible your resume needs lots of work. There are many examples online. Start reviewing other resumes with similar keywords as yours. You'll soon see a pattern of what good resumes look like. Rewrite yours and do more job searches.

Old 06-13-2018, 01:39 PM

I’ve had my resume professionally done and I have 20 years experience. Last job before this was for 2 year, 8 years before that, and 6 years before that.
I don’t have a degree though. Can that be the reason I don’t get calls?
And nobody is going to pay me 47K

Old 06-13-2018, 01:57 PM

4,951 posts, read 2,706,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
I’ve had my resume professionally done and I have 20 years experience. Last job before this was for 2 year, 8 years before that, and 6 years before that.
I don’t have a degree though. Can that be the reason I don’t get calls?
And nobody is going to pay me 47K
You may be too old for many employers. The reality of today's workforce.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:01 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Is it the work itself or the people at work? Is there any way to take a deep breath, step back and work at a slower place if that needs to be done? What would happen if you did that? Or refused to do extra work? If the management isn't going to do anything if you work at a reasonable pace, and just methodically do the work that needs to get done without taking each crisis as the end of the world, maybe just a change in mindset could go a long way toward alleviating your stress.

However, if you have supervisors and bosses who yell, create stress, nitpick, criticize, and threaten to fire you or somehow make life miserable, then it might be worth quitting, even if you can't make the same salary elsewhere. If that is the case, just slow down and do the work as well as you can, but without making yourself sick. If they fire you, then you can collect unemployment.

Old 06-13-2018, 02:05 PM

No you can’t teally slow down or you would fall behind and sales reps would complain.
And I would think at 43 I was too old but my friend is 50 and gets many job offers and she can’t keep a job, 5 jobs in 3 years. She has masters in education though but could never find a job in teaching. So she does sales support and customer service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment