Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2018, 05:15 PM

11,122 posts, read 5,604,163 times

Advertisements

I doubt very much that it is coincidence that your current employer has just given you a matching salary boost and a promise of manager status. They know what's going on with the new, prospective employer. There might even be a mole in the new company, who has informed the old one of the offer they've made to you.

You say you like your current job and working conditions. If they will give you a solid commitment to the promotion to manager, I would stay there. There's a good chance the new job would turn out to be less than you imagined. There could be performance pressures (unreasonable ones) and unethical people in the hierarchy and it could be the worst mistake you've ever made, by going there.

If you turn down the new job offer, make sure that company knows it's because you got a raise and promotion to manager, at your current job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2018, 06:41 PM

989 posts, read 2,444,274 times
It's possible the co-workers let it slip to one of their other co-workers, and in turn it got back to the boss....rather than his friends/co-workers ratting him out. Loose lips sink ships.

What did OP decide?

I would have stayed or negotiated better terms with [snip].

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:31 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 06:46 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,062,004 times
Get the package from [snip]. Right this minute you have nothing in hand but a verbal offer. Talk is cheap. Wait and get the papers. In the meanwhile do some heavy duty thinking about which job gives you the best shot to get where you want to go. That's the job you should take!!!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:13 PM

91 posts, read 71,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty61 View Post
Since you love your present job and have a promotion and you havent signed anything with [snip] then call [snip] and say your situation has changed and you won't be taking the position.
This. You're happy where you are. You're appreciated, love your job. Don't leave for the unknown. There are always more opportunities down the line.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:32 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:20 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOpUpUp View Post
Hey guys - just a clarification: I've only told CLOSE friends (co workers) about it, I can bet my life they didn't say anything to my boss.

PLUS we all have different bosses, I haven't told anyone that works for my boss. We can just get that out of the picture.

If you say so but maybe they told a "close" friend who was a close friend of the boss? Or maybe the boss has a close frien at [snip].

If you're sure it's a coincidence and not a counteroffer then I'd stay as your job security and working environment is good. You might get to the other place and hate the people or the work environment.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:33 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:22 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,251,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoOpUpUp View Post
Exactly, you get my story lol.

So what's happening right now is:

I'll be making 85K at [snip]. Current Employer coincidentally gave me a salary bump to 85K.
Current employer 'promises' managerial promo in 9+ months.

I'll be working harder for current employer + having a direct report (more stress) for the same amount of money I'll be getting at [snip] doing probably half the workload.

I've got 2 more hours to think about this...

It's just extremely odd and uncommon for a boss to approach an employee and give a big bump in salary that was not asked for when there is no immediate shift in title.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:34 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 07:30 PM

1,660 posts, read 1,212,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
It's just extremely odd and uncommon for a boss to approach an employee and give a big bump in salary that was not asked for when there is no immediate shift in title.
if they were underpaid compared to market , and they dont want to lose the employee, and the manager actuallycares, they will try to give a raise, which could occur anytime of the year.

since the op is a senior financial analyst, and hes now at 85k after the bump...im guessing it was 70-80k before. sounds like he was paid below average. market rate in NYC for a SFA is 90 - 100 salary, not including bonus,

Old 06-25-2018, 07:33 PM

66 posts, read 41,019 times
Hey guys, update:

I did get the package. I have yet to sign it electronically.
I emailed the hiring manager saying that my manager countered at 90 (which is KIND of a lie, lol) and was wondering if they could match my original ask of 90.

I've sort of made up my mind. If they give me 90, I'll go with [snip]. If not, then I'll just stay.
I know $5K isn't much, but it's enough incentive for me to leave.

And again, I think it's just coincidence. Or not..........

Actually I told my ex- boss about it. She might've told my current boss. Lol.

At this rate, I don't know anymore - but I guess it worked towards my favor?

I'm deciding tomorrow.

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:35 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:24 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,066,662 times
[snip] > retail so good luck!

Last edited by PJSaturn; 06-26-2018 at 08:37 AM.. Reason: Company name deleted.

Old 06-25-2018, 09:45 PM

61,286 posts, read 87,497,027 times
They know about the other job offer
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment