Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2018, 10:40 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,820,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Apparently, they aren’t good enough to get those coveted jobs. Hits a little close to home, doesn’t it?
Why would you think that they are not good enough?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:50 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,589,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
Your linked article doesn’t say that. Why make stuff up?
The bulk of the H1B visas actually go to Indian body shops like Tata, Infosys, Wipro. Companies like Disney then use them to hire indirectly so that they can fire Americans and make them train their foreign replacements in order to get severance pay. That way, when Congress comes along and asks, Disney says "I didn't do it!".

Also, sometimes there are chain agencies. Like H-1B Sanje Poorsap comes along and gets hired at Bank of America through Scheming Staffing Inc who works with Wealways Cheatem Hiring, which works through Takeurdough Consulting which works through Gimmedat LLC which hires the H-1B. Bank of America might pay the going rate, maybe, but Scheming Staffing Inc, Wealways Cheatem Hiring, Takeurdough Consulting, and Gimmedat LLC all take their cut and make the H-1B go through horrible working conditions. Since Sanje Poorsap works for Gimmedat LLC but Congress is only checking on Bank of America, or, at most, Scheming Staffing, they don't see the full picture, and the public usually doesn't either.

Bank of America might pay the "standard wage" of $60K or so (which is, in some areas, itself questionable, as it's a "standard wage" rather than the actual market rate for an American in that area) but by the time the money makes its all the way down to Gimmedat LLC, Sanje Poorsap is only seeing $25-30K/yr or less in a high cost of living area, and so has to room with 5-10 people to get by.

Meanwhile, any one of the above will offer the job to an American for those rates of $50K, $40K, etc in a high cost of living area, get turned down, or ignored (on bogus reasons) even if they do show up, and then they use that data to say "Look, no qualified Americans."

Increasingly, Bank of America (whom I'm picking on as an example) goes through these agencies only for hiring. But, if anyone tries to audit them, they say "Look, we're paying standard market rate of $60K (or whatever it is), we don't know why Americans aren't applying. Guess they're just lazy and playing video games and studying gender studies in college instead of STEM. So we need to raise that H-1B cap."

Old 06-29-2018, 12:35 AM

5,462 posts, read 3,039,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonym9428 View Post
So I should ignore the opioid crisis and just say who cares...people can kill themselves if they want.

I'd say that is immoral.

As a citizen, most of us love America and want to see this country do well. Thus, we will continue to push and advocate for policies that help Americans.
As a first step ask your party to pass an immigration compromise law that also includes mandatory e-verify.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:18 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
Quote:
At most companies, the majority of the H1B's are average.
For companies like Google, Apple, Genentech, etc, they will get the best of the best.
However, the majority of H1B's at the majority of companies are just average.

You can't seriously tell me that someone who graduated from the University of Pune or University of Mumbai is on the same level as someone from IIT or IIM.

I'm all for bringing in grads from IIT, IIM, and other tier 1 universities in India, Denmark, Thailand, etc.
But what is the point of bringing over average people?

IIT / IIM graduate will not join a lowly ranked University for MS Course after paying Full Tuition. thats why increasingly International Student Advisors of Universities are collaborating with Agents in India to organise "Education Fairs" in various Indian Cities and look for Private Engineering colleges from Pune, Mumbai,Hyderabad and those students will come as for them, this is immigration opportunity !!! After MS, OPT cycle starts and the role of "Desi Consultancy" comes into play where they will file for H-1B visa.

Old 06-29-2018, 03:23 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,692,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MongooseHugger View Post
The bulk of the H1B visas actually go to Indian body shops like Tata, Infosys, Wipro. Companies like Disney then use them to hire indirectly so that they can fire Americans and make them train their foreign replacements in order to get severance pay. That way, when Congress comes along and asks, Disney says "I didn't do it!".

Also, sometimes there are chain agencies. Like H-1B Sanje Poorsap comes along and gets hired at Bank of America through Scheming Staffing Inc who works with Wealways Cheatem Hiring, which works through Takeurdough Consulting which works through Gimmedat LLC which hires the H-1B. Bank of America might pay the going rate, maybe, but Scheming Staffing Inc, Wealways Cheatem Hiring, Takeurdough Consulting, and Gimmedat LLC all take their cut and make the H-1B go through horrible working conditions. Since Sanje Poorsap works for Gimmedat LLC but Congress is only checking on Bank of America, or, at most, Scheming Staffing, they don't see the full picture, and the public usually doesn't either.

Bank of America might pay the "standard wage" of $60K or so (which is, in some areas, itself questionable, as it's a "standard wage" rather than the actual market rate for an American in that area) but by the time the money makes its all the way down to Gimmedat LLC, Sanje Poorsap is only seeing $25-30K/yr or less in a high cost of living area, and so has to room with 5-10 people to get by.

Meanwhile, any one of the above will offer the job to an American for those rates of $50K, $40K, etc in a high cost of living area, get turned down, or ignored (on bogus reasons) even if they do show up, and then they use that data to say "Look, no qualified Americans."

Increasingly, Bank of America (whom I'm picking on as an example) goes through these agencies only for hiring. But, if anyone tries to audit them, they say "Look, we're paying standard market rate of $60K (or whatever it is), we don't know why Americans aren't applying. Guess they're just lazy and playing video games and studying gender studies in college instead of STEM. So we need to raise that H-1B cap."

Sometimes it is not even H-1B. Companies make their employees work on B-1 visa which is strictly Business and cannot be used for billable work. Suppose IBM has a project. It will transfer the work to IBM India. IBM India will send their employees to USA on IBM campus for 3 or 4 months on Business Visa and do the billable work. Besides salary in india, these employees might get 50 dollars per day for expenses plus Hotel.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:15 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,226,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highpointer View Post
I live in the greater Seattle area, which has a thriving, high-tech economy. One of the things that I notice is that people working at high-technology companies like Microsoft, Amazon, and others in living and working in Seattle and upscale Eastside suburbs like Bellevue, Redmond, Kirkland, and Issaquah tend to be disproportionately Asian, especially Indian or Chinese, or from other countries outside the USA.

Despite having earned several STEM education credentials, I have been unable to succeed at a technological or engineering job, while many other people from outside the USA have been able to achieve great success. That is why, for example, the upscale Eastside suburb of Sammamish, where many tech employees live and has an average household income of over $100,000, is 20% Asian, considerably higher than the percentage of population of people of Asian descent nationwide.

Therefore, why do people from ethnic groups such as Indian and Chinese do so well, and yet I have not been to achieve the level of success of most of these people despite having the advantages of growing up in a middle-class family in the USA and earning higher-level education credentials in supposedly marketable majors from top-tier American universities?
Two reasons.
1. They come here like the starving Europeans did. They have a hunger for the opportunities that America presents. I knew a couple that have a house in India as well as America. With the money that the husband is making in the USA, they will be able to afford servants when they go back to India.
2. They put up with crap from employers that Americans don't tolerate, therefore American employers seek them.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:29 AM

Location: In a city within a state where politicians come to get their PHDs in Corruption
2,907 posts, read 2,070,917 times
Quote:
So I should ignore the opioid crisis and just say who cares...people can kill themselves if they want.

I'd say that is immoral.

As a citizen, most of us love America and want to see this country do well. Thus, we will continue to push and advocate for policies that help Americans.
Only delusional people think they can help anyone but themselves and those closest to them.

Old 06-29-2018, 06:37 AM

1,768 posts, read 1,639,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanv3 View Post
As a first step ask your party to pass an immigration compromise law that also includes mandatory e-verify.

What? I'm not part of any party...aka, I don't drink anyones kool-aid

Old 06-29-2018, 07:25 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocky1975 View Post
THIS! Indians and Chinese live for their careers and acquiring knowledge. They are not wasting their time binge watching Netflix, drinking all weekend, partying, and pursuing 'entertainment'.
Eh...I went to school with a bunch of Indians and Chinese (1st and 2nd generation Americans). They definitely partied just as hard if not harder than the white kids.

Usually they'd go balls to the wall partying in Freshman and Sophomore year, but would nail down a decent internship at the end of their So. year and then straighten out a bit in Junior and Senior year.

Old 06-29-2018, 07:31 AM

2,916 posts, read 3,003,235 times
It's not that Asian parents value success MORE than other parents....it's that they want a return on their investment. Many sacrifice quite a bit just to make it to this country (this applies to African immigrant parents as well, many of whom think Medicine and Law trump anything else including Tech).

If you scrimped and saved and struggled just to be middle class in America, you're going to want your kids to ignore pursuits that make them "happy" in favor of pursuits that make them money and push them to the next tier of success.

Sustained success and income (and the stress that can come with high paying jobs) makes you step back and realize that there's a limit to how much money makes you happy. Of course everyone's limit varies. Coming from abject poverty can mean that your limit is much higher than someone that grew up comfortable and never had to wonder where their next meal came from.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment