Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2018, 10:25 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,227,783 times

Advertisements

Ask the recruiter what they recommend.

I don't recommend overdressing - unless the recruiter recommends it.

If they're business casual, dress business casual - but no sneakers - use dress shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 AM

46,961 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Rule of thumb is to dress one step up from the day-to-day dress code. If people are coming to work in t-shirts and jeans, you go business casual. If it's business casual, jacket and tie. So on and so forth.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:30 AM

348 posts, read 460,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
I always wear a suit, period. I don't care if it's Mark Zuckerberg in his jeans and t-shirt, I want to let them know the interview is important to me and dressing up sends a message to them that you're a professional and taking the interview very seriously.

The ONLY exception to this would be if you're interviewing for some kind of labor/trade type position. In that case I'd still wear dress pants and a button up dress shirt.
They'll just say you don't fit into the culture.

You dress according to the culture/corporate environment you're interviewing in. If as a software engineer in Silicon Valley, you definitely dress more casual. IF at a law firm in NYC, you dress up. I agree with Dane_in_LA.

Old 06-28-2018, 10:36 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nccoast View Post
Always dress *one* notch more formally than the folks interviewing you. If they wear jeans, you go "business casual". If they are business casual, you wear coat and tie for men, and the equivalent for ladies.
You won't know what they're wearing till you go in though.....Best advice, "Dress to impress"...

Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 AM

297 posts, read 166,876 times
is wearing a suit and spewing out crap out of the mouth the same as wearing jeans and a tshirt and saying all the right things?

A job interview is speed dating. You hope they like you enough to pay you and they (nowadays) hope you like them enough to not ghost them. So, what you wear is at the very least, 2% of the whole thing. And if they have preconceived notions on what you're wearing, it'll show during the interview. That'll tell a lot about your future boss as well. So, I say wear whatever you want, but make sure it's clean and tidy.

However, if you are looking for a job when you don't have a job... wear the crap out of that suit!!!!

Old 06-28-2018, 10:53 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,476,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joanna4k View Post
I’ve been on a few interviews recently and dressed business like with a black suit jacket and when I got there everyone was dressed casual in jeans etc....is it still proper attire to dress in a pants suit or skirt and blazer or can we dress business casual now in a decent shirt and pants? I’d rather wear that because I always feel awkward being dressed up since I never notice anyone dressed like that anymore. I work for a large company now and they just went casual.
I always dress in business formal to an interview, unless they explicitly tell me not to. Doesn't hurt to be overdressed for an interview.
One case I read was Amazon did imply that a while a suit and tie wouldn't hurt, they did explicitly state that it won't impress anyone either. For example, if you're being hired to do software or technical work, but the other candidate who's dressed very casual did better in the interview, you can probably bet that your suit and tie won't get you any points.

I've had one internship that I didn't go through the interview process. The "interview" was actually at the job fair where we first came into contact with each other. I showed up to my first day of work in a suit and tie, to find everyone else in jeans and T-shirt-like attire. Some in sandals, others in shorts. My manager suggested that I NOT come in such attire, but more so on the lines of everyone else. I might be "upstaging" them, but more so, there was a bit of labor involved (moving computer equipment, getting underneath and around desks to hook up computer, power, and Ethernet cables, etc.), so it was better to NOT be doing that in business formal attire.

Old 06-28-2018, 11:17 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,535,425 times
I always wear a suit for jobs outside of retail type jobs. If they decide I'm not a good fit because I was too dressed up for them, then I don't want to work with such people at such a place anyways.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:15 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times
Easy for a man just put on any blue or grey suit and a red tie. For women it can be tricky, because there are many options and women tend to be judged more on their attire and appearance more so than men.

A guy can come ungroomed with sloppy hair and unshaven face as long as he's in a tie and suit.

Old 06-28-2018, 01:19 PM

8,340 posts, read 6,787,311 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
Easy for a man just put on any blue or grey suit and a red tie. For women it can be tricky, because there are many options and women tend to be judged more on their attire and appearance more so than men.

A guy can come ungroomed with sloppy hair and unshaven face as long as he's in a tie and suit.
Reminds me of a guy who went to an interview in a white t-shirt and jeans. When they asked of his rather low attire he replied "I am here to show you what I know, not that I know how to dress smart"

He got the job. The truth was the airline lost his luggage....

Old 06-28-2018, 01:27 PM

11,582 posts, read 6,736,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffypoopoo View Post
Always better to be overdressed.

This exactly! When they offer you the job and tell you that it's a casual dress atmosphere then you can dress down.

I used to work for a national bank and HR would conduct interviews and job fairs out of my location. I would get a kick out of what people would wear to an interview for a banking job! Some in jogging pants, others looked like they were going clubbing!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment