Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2018, 10:15 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,947,919 times

Advertisements

I can see that I'm going to have more to complain about in this, my last year of employment before retiring, than in all the other over twenty combined, but that's the changing culture of today's workplace, I suppose.

Is enforced "schmoozing" now a thing? With my former boss of many years (decades), we were ignored... Treated as responsible professionals and left to do our jobs in peace. With that boss's departure, we got a replacement who very much encouraged potlucks (mostly a small-town female workforce here), which many of the employees embraced with glee. I'm an introvert who doesn't cook, so I was happy to sit those out.

Enter the third boss who wants not only weekly group meetings to "touch base," but also gatherings for comings, goings, congratulations, and how-do-you-dos and is willing to provide food out of his own pocket. When I quietly stayed behind in my office for the first (not an official meeting, but a goodbye meal; I'd already said my personal goodbyes to this employee), I was actually tracked down and "urged" to attend...

Is this not somewhat discriminatory against those with a more shy, retiring nature who don't "do" crowds?
I've managed to perform my duties quite competently all these years without forced meals around a table.

I can already see "not a team player" being etched in my permanent personnel record, threatening future part-time employment. The new boss is under 40, and retirement is looking more appealing all the time...

Last edited by PJSaturn; 07-30-2018 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2018, 10:18 AM

2,873 posts, read 2,059,786 times
Sometimes, it's easier to go along to get along. I hated events like that with a passion when I worked in an office but I always tried to attend even if just for a few minutes to show my face.

Thank goodness I work at home now. No one bothers me except a 21-month old Vizsla!

Old 07-16-2018, 10:37 AM

8,340 posts, read 6,782,018 times
I have disliked potlucks as for some reason people shun the food some people bring and thus, they don't bring any and then get the "Stink-eye" from people who did.

(sigh) just can't win some days.....

Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
So you are retiring for sure next year? Then WTF do you care about any of this. If it's not mandatory, then don't go. Do you have the guts to say no?

Old 07-16-2018, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
So you are retiring for sure next year? Then WTF do you care about any of this. If it's not mandatory, then don't go. Do you have the guts to say no?
SMH. Read the topic again: MANDATORY Socialization. When the boss personally chases after you to attend, that's pretty mandatory.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:41 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,727,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
I can see that I'm going to have more to complain about in this, my last year of employment before retiring, than in all the other over twenty combined, but that's the changing culture of today's workplace, I suppose.

Is enforced "schmoozing" now a thing? With my former boss of many years (decades), we were ignored... Treated as responsible professionals and left to do our jobs in peace. With that boss's departure, we got a replacement who very much encouraged potlucks (mostly a small-town female workforce here), which many of the employees embraced with glee. I'm an introvert who doesn't cook, so I was happy to sit those out.

Enter the third boss who wants not only weekly group meetings to "touch base," but also gatherings for comings, goings, congratulations, and how-do-you-dos and is willing to provide food out of his own pocket. When I quietly stayed behind in my office for the first (not an official meeting, but a goodbye meal; I'd already said my personal goodbyes to this employee), I was actually tracked down and "urged" to attend...

Is this not somewhat discriminatory against those with a more shy, retiring nature who don't "do" crowds?
I've managed to perform my duties quite competently all these years without forced meals around a table.

I can already see "not a team player" being etched in my permanent personnel record, threatening future part-time employment. The new boss is under 40, and retirement is looking more appealing all the time...
Yep, it is a thing very present in the workplace today. My old manager at my last job tried to force my to have a going away party when I gave my two weeks which I wasn’t feeling because I had long checked emotionally out at that point. That last week I got more stink eye than dead fish could give me because I flat out said I didn’t want a party.

Companies will use non-attendance against you for sure. Which is why I’ve accepted that illl likely have to change companies every couple of years for the rest of my career to get anywhere before I get sick of them and they get sick of me.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,500,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by otterhere View Post
SMH. Read the topic again: MANDATORY Socialization. When the boss personally chases after you to attend, that's pretty mandatory.
Some of this doesn't sound mandatory at all. You can always plan other things during these times. Book other meetings, etc. Being urged to attend is not mandatory. You're a short timer.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:07 PM

9,382 posts, read 8,351,427 times
This is probably a broader topic but in general, people who are extroverted and socially adept are typically the ones who get ahead in Corporate America. The shy, quiet folks generally get looked over. This is sort of a vicious cycle because the very people who are being promoted are the extroverts who will promote other extroverts, and so on and so on.

My mother just retired this year after 40 years at the same company, and in her last year her stance on just about everything was "Eh, so what. What are they going to do, fire me?" She wasn't slacking or not doing her job, she simply didn't care about the "extra" stuff such as these pot lucks any longer. No need to impress anyone if your days are numbered. Even if it's your boss who is the one pushing for these things, just ignore him/her as best you can.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:21 PM

6,556 posts, read 8,386,233 times
IMO, a mandatory social event is just like any other mandatory meeting/event I need to attend. I attend, participate to the extent that is expected of someone in my position for that particular meeting, and leave.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:52 PM

I plan to work part-time in retirement -- both for the income and because I enjoy working -- so I would like to leave with a decent reference for my over twenty years of devoted service, only 1 1/2 of which it was no longer okay to be introverted and during which I was expected, apparently, to be a social butterfly at work (for those suggesting I simply thumb my nose at the new boss).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment