Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 AM

529 posts, read 508,412 times

Advertisements

Unless you're working in a field that directly impacts health or lives, like social worker or doctor, I see no benefit to destroying yourself for your paycheck. Obviously, if it's your team job (or at least something you truly enjoy) the benefit is you enjoyment and pride of having done good work.

For the rest of us it ain't worth it. The idea youd have a guilty conscience or not advantage or wtv because of it is alsonot accurate. Well, ok, the latter may be the case, but the work alone need not be the reason. Other things like being sociable or having the right background or friends has an impact as well. Some people canjust workbetter than others even if they do less too. We ain't equal.

Anyway, it's great being a government employee. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 06:23 AM

23 posts, read 15,486 times
I'd say most people do as little at work as they can get away with, including many of the people in this thread who claim otherwise.

Of course they won't admit it though.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:28 AM

221 posts, read 184,029 times
I used to be one of those suckers who took initiative and went above and beyond in the workplace. My reward for doing so was more responsibilities and a heavier workload for the same end of year bonus and 2% annual raise that was given to deadweight employees who seemed to get paid for spreading gossip and sending chain emails.

I learned the hard way to never do more than the bare minimum. Never reveal to your employer how much you really know and how much you can really do. They'll just use and abuse you.

It's not worth sacrificing my mental and physical health to employers who see you as nothing more than a disposable commodity.

Old 08-13-2018, 04:25 PM

779 posts, read 506,813 times
I like to work smarter, not harder. I look for ways to make it easy for me, but not afraid to hit it hard when that is what is required. I've never been fired from a job I liked, but plenty of times from a job I did not like, and I've had a lot of jobs; paper route, shoeshine boy, dishwasher, busboy, factory worker, metal fabrication and technical documentation.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:10 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
One should only work hard if its a QUALITY company that is managed properly and they promote based on meritocracy. Anything less than that you're just wasting your time. Never work hard for some mismanaged sinking ship full of imbeciles in charge. You won't have much to show for it at the end of the day.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:52 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
One should only work hard if its a QUALITY company that is managed properly and they promote based on meritocracy. Anything less than that you're just wasting your time. Never work hard for some mismanaged sinking ship full of imbeciles in charge. You won't have much to show for it at the end of the day.
if someone voluntarily chooses to work for a company, they should work hard. If someone doesn't like the company, quit, don't use "the company is bad" as an excuse to be lazy.

Old 08-13-2018, 05:56 PM

366 posts, read 110,571 times
Work from home programmer fortune 500, fairly relaxed job but I tend to hit an app heavy at first and take forever to actually roll it out until I get a deadline set. I get good reviews and decent salary increase every year. I get a load of TOP as well. I don't feel bad

Old 08-13-2018, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
if someone voluntarily chooses to work for a company, they should work hard. If someone doesn't like the company, quit, don't use "the company is bad" as an excuse to be lazy.

Why should you break your back and kill yourself for a horrible company? The "just quit" reason would hold some water if it was still the 1950s and jobs were plentiful but they aren't anymore. gone are the days you can walk into a place of employment and leave with a job later that day. It just doesn't work anymore and people still have to Pay the bills. You can't just quit and find expedited employment after a day or two.

If the company is a mess, just do the bare minimum. they don't DESERVE hard work if they aren't going to reward anyone for it

Old 08-13-2018, 06:20 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
Why should you break your back and kill yourself for a horrible company? The "just quit" reason would hold some water if it was still the 1950s and jobs were plentiful but they aren't anymore. gone are the days you can walk into a place of employment and leave with a job later that day. It just doesn't work anymore and people still have to Pay the bills. You can't just quit and find expedited employment after a day or two.

If the company is a mess, just do the bare minimum. they don't DESERVE hard work if they aren't going to reward anyone for it
Funny how people who constantly make excuses to justify being lazy always seem to find another excuse to keep being lazy. That said, if they are choosing to do the bare minimum, don't expect a raise, don't expect to be treated well, don't expect any chance of being promoted or recognized.

Obviously you can't expect to find another job in a day or two. Someone can easily put 15-20 hours/week in after work job hunting (especially if they are putting in the minimum at work). Do that for a solid month and they will have a few interviews, at least. All that said, looking good in an interview for the next job is a huge reason to put in effort and try hard. if someone puts in minimum effort, they will be put on crap projects, and won't have nearly as much to show for their work when interviewing for the next job.

Putting in more effort in the job you have now makes finding that next job a lot easier. Putting in minimum effort starts a cycle of it being harder and harder to find a better job simply because that person isn't building any valuable experience compared to people who actually put in effort.

Old 08-13-2018, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Funny how people who constantly make excuses to justify being lazy always seem to find another excuse to keep being lazy. That said, if they are choosing to do the bare minimum, don't expect a raise, don't expect to be treated well, don't expect any chance of being promoted or recognized.

Obviously you can't expect to find another job in a day or two. Someone can easily put 15-20 hours/week in after work job hunting (especially if they are putting in the minimum at work). Do that for a solid month and they will have a few interviews, at least. All that said, looking good in an interview for the next job is a huge reason to put in effort and try hard. if someone puts in minimum effort, they will be put on crap projects, and won't have nearly as much to show for their work when interviewing for the next job.

Putting in more effort in the job you have now makes finding that next job a lot easier. Putting in minimum effort starts a cycle of it being harder and harder to find a better job simply because that person isn't building any valuable experience compared to people who actually put in effort.

What guarantee does anyone have even if they become the most valuable employee in the company they can expect anything either if the company is just promoting on personal friendships/being relativese ala Nepotism/cronyism etc? The only guarantee is more work just gets thrown on you. Maybe your standard 1-3 percent raise that even the "deadwood employees" get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment