Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 12:35 PM

18,773 posts, read 18,154,352 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Those two things arent mutually exclusive. I would bet a lot of people working desk jobs have hard jobs. Probably best to say "I have never worked a desk job, I have always done manual labor"

OK; so that can be reworded. But I am sure that nobody, sitting behind a desk, can wring out a teacup full of sweat from their clothes as they come home! However I am sure there are plenty of very long and stressful jobs sitting behind the desk.

While I was doing all that lifting on a freight dock for a chemical company we had a second in command that sat behind a desk all day. He dropped a pencil on the floor and reached over and backwards to pick it up. He was out of work for six months and his back was never the same. Even to this day, about fifty years after that job, I do not have back problems.

I said before that you work for yourself; not the job or the manager. Be confident, be proud, of the work you accomplish. Make a name for yourself. The harder you try to do the job to the best of your abilities; the faster the time goes. If you spend your day clock watching you will spend two days at work for every one the hard worker spends.

I use to also work piece work. There is never enough time in the day when you work piece work. You want to make the most money possible and you are constantly watching the clock; not to see if the day is going to end but you are looking to see how many dollars your making. If you doubled the rate; you got double the pay. If you tripled the rate; the company would time study your rate and set it higher. The idea was that you never felt like you had enough time and hence the days flew by.

Your attitude can make work painless or excruciating!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 12:57 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,752,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nybbler View Post
Heck no, I try to do the most work with the least effort. It's a much more efficient form of laziness.
^^^^^^^^^What he said

Old 08-07-2018, 03:27 PM

3,563 posts, read 5,379,892 times
Default depends on the industry

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Don't know if lazy is the right word, but the opposite of ambitious. Don't care about raise, promotion, recognition - just want to go in/out and do the least amount of work possible.

If this is you - why? Have you always been like this?
In most of the jobs I've been in, if a guy wants to do the "backbone slide" the REST OF US end up picking up the pace.

there aren't enough holes in the Vegas desert.

Old 08-07-2018, 03:55 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,790,192 times
Does working hard make you irreplaceable? Earn you more money, or respect? Most people are just cogs in a machine.

Old 08-07-2018, 05:38 PM

5,511 posts, read 4,479,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I'd never heard that word before until a couple of days ago. And now here it is again.
I like it and will have to use it in the future.
"Volun-told" that's cute.
It goes around in the military, but I hear businesses use it too!

Old 08-07-2018, 07:21 PM

13,005 posts, read 18,916,818 times
Son of the Boss?

Old 08-08-2018, 02:34 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,340,157 times
We do.

— Congress

Old 08-08-2018, 02:38 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,281,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
I refuse to answer that on the grounds that it might incriminate me.

But I will answer about a friend -- who after 30 years in his career field was just burned out...he wasn't young and hungry anymore was at the top of his field in pay, no room for advancement where he was...he was union covered, and the company didn't expect more than a performance level that came naturally to him anyway.

So he did just enough work to stay employed. Just enough to show management "he cared." He'd earn brownie points here and there, every now and again. But day-to-day he was bored and had no interest in the work anymore. Management loved him. He would stay for OT when needed (every once in a while). Didn't make too many mistakes. Didn't cause trouble. What more did he need to do?

He'd reconciled to himself that he was trading his time for a paycheck. That's all.
That pretty much describes my situation. It's a time for money trade off.
Show up, make the company money. Don't cause trouble. Go home at 5:00.

Old 08-08-2018, 05:09 AM

3,695 posts, read 2,416,968 times
Quote:
Don't know if lazy is the right word, but the opposite of ambitious. Don't care about raise, promotion, recognition - just want to go in/out and do the least amount of work possible.

I've worked with some of these folks - in my entry level period, years ago.

They don't last long, and end up at the bottom of the labor pool in general.

No prob, to each their own.

Old 08-08-2018, 07:45 AM

130,442 posts, read 12,124,678 times
Quote:

I used to work with someone who took 3x longer to do his job, than anyone else, he put a lot of effort into how to take a long time, he thought he was cheating the system, & getting paid, In the end, he got fired. If you don't want to work, don't, but once you are on the clock, a person needs to do their job, to the best of their ability.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment