Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 03:03 PM

1,167 posts, read 1,817,640 times

Advertisements

Don't know if lazy is the right word, but the opposite of ambitious. Don't care about raise, promotion, recognition - just want to go in/out and do the least amount of work possible.

If this is you - why? Have you always been like this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2018, 03:10 PM

326 posts, read 199,556 times
I was like that when I was 16... and then I grew up.

Old 08-05-2018, 03:27 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,917,886 times
No. Why would someone do that?

Yes, lazy is the right word.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:08 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Its easy to become that if the lay of the land around the company is filled with nepotism/cronyism. Where the only promotions you see is because people are related/Friends with someone in power. If you aren't getting promoted due to your merit/value, whats the point of breaking your back for the company?

Old 08-05-2018, 04:45 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,485,551 times
If it's work that I'm hired to do and I'm interested in, I'll work at it with passion.

If it's work that I never signed up for and doesn't interest me (like administrative duties), I'll put the minimum amount of effort and time into them.

Old 08-05-2018, 04:59 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,885,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
If it's work that I'm hired to do and I'm interested in, I'll work at it with passion.

If it's work that I never signed up for and doesn't interest me (like administrative duties), I'll put the minimum amount of effort and time into them.
This is a perfectly rational response. A stance that most workers already have taken. But management thinks it's lazy for folks to not want to take on responsibilities that don't interest them or won't help them grow.

We have a job scope misalignment problem in most corporations today. Fix it and productivity will improve across the board.

Old 08-05-2018, 07:41 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
When I worked, I neither did the least nor the most. I did quite a bit more than the minimum but it is my policy to not do so much that for the 8 hours or so that I'm at home after work before I have to go to bed to not be so wiped from work that I cannot have any time to myself, so I'm not going to work to exhaustion either (not unless it was my dream job, and likely self-employed too).

Now, if I had a bad night's sleep (perhaps yelling people in the house, idiots outside with fireworks, or something) and only got 4 or so hours of sleep, yes, I might be more likely to do the minimum to get by, only because it would be easier to mess up if I tried too too far beyond that.

(BTW, not saying I wouldn't do such that I was so exhausted afterword that I was able to only use 5 or so minutes for myself, on a busy day, but if it "busy day" becomes defined as "pretty much everyday", then I'd slack off and do enough but not go all out so that I didn't get burnout.)

Old 08-05-2018, 09:24 PM

10,222 posts, read 19,216,257 times
Heck no, I try to do the most work with the least effort. It's a much more efficient form of laziness.

Old 08-05-2018, 09:42 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post
Don't know if lazy is the right word, but the opposite of ambitious. Don't care about raise, promotion, recognition - just want to go in/out and do the least amount of work possible.

Unfortunately, the workplace is full of people just like you. They are just there to collect a paycheck, get no personal satisfaction out of doing their job well, and then wonder why they never get out of that rut. I've worked with a ton of people just like that over the past 60 years.

I can see it when someone is in their teens, but by their 20's , most people should be finding their purpose in life and want to make that life even better, and hard work and dedication are the way to achieve that goal.

But , there is an upside. People like the OP make the rest of us look great and our employers go out of their way to show their appreciation. Thank you for making my climb in all the careers I have had over the years so much easier !

Old 08-06-2018, 12:05 AM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unknown00 View Post

And will always be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment