Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2018, 07:36 PM

203 posts, read 108,485 times

Advertisements

I was looking over job postings and there's a college near my house that i've seen a few openings at that I'd be interested in. Everytime I go to apply I am asked to enter in 3 references:

Please list your references (not related to you) who can verify your work habits and experience.
3 References Pending:

They want 3. I'm sorry but this seems weird? I'll give you my reference info at the end of the process when you're about to hire me. I mean the form doesn't just ask for names, it asks for email and phone # and wont let you submit the application unless you complete this info. This is a small no named college, i've applied to harvard and mit jobs where they dont ask this.

What gives? why would they require this info so soon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2018, 07:40 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,221,653 times
It doesn't work that way. References are an important part of the hiring process. As a candidate you should be happy to provide references. If you're not, I probably don't want to hire you.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:48 PM

3,657 posts, read 3,289,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
It doesn't work that way. References are an important part of the hiring process. As a candidate you should be happy to provide references. If you're not, I probably don't want to hire you.
Nonsense. You don't want your references contacted for each job you apply for. You are going to wear them out.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:52 PM

203 posts, read 108,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastguyz View Post
Nonsense. You don't want your references contacted for each job you apply for. You are going to wear them out.
exactly! i want to give someone a heads up....also why would a company call someone's references if they hadnt started the hiring process? That is shady to me. Usually if things are going well in the hiring process you are asked for your references. Putting them on any job app when you have no idea if you'll even be called is just weird.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I was looking over job postings and there's a college near my house that i've seen a few openings at that I'd be interested in. Everytime I go to apply I am asked to enter in 3 references:

Please list your references (not related to you) who can verify your work habits and experience.
3 References Pending:

They want 3. I'm sorry but this seems weird? I'll give you my reference info at the end of the process when you're about to hire me. I mean the form doesn't just ask for names, it asks for email and phone # and wont let you submit the application unless you complete this info. This is a small no named college, i've applied to harvard and mit jobs where they dont ask this.

What gives? why would they require this info so soon?
Because it is a low-paying job, and the sooner they treat you poorly the better the chances they have of controlling you in the future. By you submitting to this, it shows their dominance over you from the start. Any job that requires references just for applying, pass on it. Because anyone who would submit to this, they know will take any offer they give and can be further taken advantage of once in the job. "The computer is slow now, you will have to stay later or come in on the weekend to do this work".

23,306 posts, read 18,852,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willamette City View Post
This. If you are so secretive or high maintenance that you refuse to comply with some standardized hiring procedure's reasonable requests for information, I might infer that you have something to hide, no one WOULD provide you with a positive recommendation, or you are simply going to be too much trouble to cater to.

I've never heard of "wearing out" a reference. I always ask permission to use someone as a reference and have never ever heard that this turned out to be a burden. They usually thought of it as a compliment and a minor pleasure. I always choose a personal reference who can provide a slightly different perspective on me as a person and a professional than some previous direct supervisor might. There can be limits or company policies about what a supervisor can say about someone.

Last edited by Parnassia; 08-07-2018 at 08:01 PM..

Old 08-07-2018, 07:56 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
That's a pretty normal thing.

I would wonder what someone's hiding if someone refuses to give references.

Old 08-07-2018, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
exactly! i want to give someone a heads up....also why would a company call someone's references if they hadnt started the hiring process? That is shady to me. Usually if things are going well in the hiring process you are asked for your references. Putting them on any job app when you have no idea if you'll even be called is just weird.

So you are applying for a job that isn't hiring yet? Write on the application "references provided on request"

Good to go.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post

I've never heard of "wearing out" a reference.
I do and often. I'm a reference for many people, but some who have applied for everything and stupidly given them references from the start have pestered me so much, I have asked those people either not to list me as their reference or not to give the references to them until much later on in the process. I'm not interested in talking on the phone for 20 minutes to everyone who works in HR that has time to kill.

Old 08-07-2018, 08:23 PM

I've been used as a reference a number of times. If I actually supervised the person I had no problem answering appropriate questions. I determined what was appropriate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment