Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2019, 05:25 PM

7,759 posts, read 3,883,639 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm 37. 1981. Technically I'm a millennial, but it doesn't feel that way. Young people are using all these words now I don't understand, lol.

WTF is finna?
That is more of a regional dialect thing than a generational difference.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2019, 04:20 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,775,842 times
"many current and former Harris employees allege that Brown is cutting costs by getting rid of more experienced and more expensive engineers in favor of younger engineers with less experience."
https://247wallst.com/special-report...-hated-ceos/2/

Looking at their job ads, it seems most/all engineering positions say something like "up to 3 years experience", instead of "minimum 3". They are located in central Florida. Looking at ads and people recently hired (LinkedIn profiles), from other companies in the region, the same pattern: fresh/recent grads only, aka slaves only. It is not that they discriminate against white haired elderly people. If you are 28 you are too old for them.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:42 PM

2,954 posts, read 1,411,905 times
My current job discriminates in favor of older workers. You might think this is a good thing, but it's now become obvious to me that they do it in order to underpay.

They lure, use and trap older workers who might not be able to easily get another job. The pay is bad and little to no raises. The workers become resigned and put up with it, just so they have a job and don't have to do a long commute to Boston in order to make some money. It's really sad. I hope to escape by this time next year.

Old 12-20-2019, 04:42 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,133,005 times
I had worked as a temporary employee for about ten years. I am (was) (partially) retired and really was not looking for a full time job; I am 72. But I was encouraged to put in a resume for the company my temp agency had me placed with. I did not think they would hire me; but I was hired full time and started July first of this year.

I don't miss time and I am always looking to improve our production and efficiency and I guess it paid off. By making this post all I want people to take away is: Never say never and always try. Of course having a great work ethic and attendance helps. But never be afraid to emphasize your strong points. I think what really helped, beside my work records, is I complained in my interview about one of my company's favorite sayings: ('It is what it is'). I made strong statements against that saying because we always have to try to do better if we want to be leaders. We must never be satisfied and always look for ways to be more productive or efficient. Of course I had examples to back up my statements and how I had worked to implement change.

Old 12-21-2019, 02:42 AM

35,063 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it...ise-2018-09-21

When the "Mainstream Media" such as Marketwatch.com or WBZ or CNBC writes articles about age discrimination, then you know its a significant issue. Also what is interesting is how millennials lump anyone over the age of 40 as "baby boomers"
The oldest Millennials are pushing 40 themselves and some are grandparents.

I don't know why there is still a narrative out there that all Millennials are new college grads living in mom and dad's basement. That stereotype is a decade out of date by now.

Old 12-21-2019, 05:01 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I'm 37. 1981. Technically I'm a millennial, but it doesn't feel that way. Young people are using all these words now I don't understand, lol.

WTF is finna?
Lol, 36 here. Finna is more of a black cultural word than a millennial word.

It's a shortened version of "fitting to," which might a slang in and of itself. Fitting to became "fitting ta," which just became "finna"

Old 12-21-2019, 05:44 AM

3,715 posts, read 3,698,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickL28 View Post
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it...ise-2018-09-21

When the "Mainstream Media" such as Marketwatch.com or WBZ or CNBC writes articles about age discrimination, then you know its a significant issue. Also what is interesting is how millennials lump anyone over the age of 40 as "baby boomers"
First off, of course it does, and it goes both ways. There are so many discriminations in the workplace, it's just the world we live in. I wish there wasn't, but nonetheless.

I'm a 36 year old millennial, and when I graduated in 2006, I faced terrible descriminiation from my first two large employers. They would call me kid, complain about me, and I wouldn't dare send a text on my flip phone after the uproar having a cell phone caused. These were F500 companies. My point is, depending on the employer the age discrimination goes both ways.

Old 12-21-2019, 04:58 PM

2,095 posts, read 1,557,748 times
been saying it for years

Old 12-21-2019, 05:15 PM

7,977 posts, read 4,985,438 times
Of Course it does. The problem is nothing is ever done about it.

Old 12-23-2019, 12:27 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
The oldest Millennials are pushing 40 themselves and some are grandparents.

I don't know why there is still a narrative out there that all Millennials are new college grads living in mom and dad's basement. That stereotype is a decade out of date by now.
That's right. My oldest is "pushing 40" married with a house and two kids. One millennial that works for me is also pushing 40, married with two kids and owns a 3 unit building.

My employer has fixed pay ranges for each position, and starting pay is limited to midpoint or below. We require experience for all positions so we often hire people well over 40. In our group the latest hire has 30 years experience, the one before that 26. We are not saving money by hiring older workers, we are taking advantage of their experience. We do still hire younger people if they have the required experience. My direct-reports range in age from 26-61 (the elder I hired at age 53).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment