Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 03:15 PM

2,026 posts, read 2,778,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
My employer has fixed pay ranges for each position, and starting pay is limited to midpoint or below..
Why is it limited to midpoint or below? If you want to hire high performers, then they are already above midpoint, they could only go to your company with a significant pay cut. Or is your corporate leadership prefers mediocrity?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2019, 09:25 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,374,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taffee72 View Post
Oh wow, guess I'm a baby boomer, lol, did not know that. I'm 46 years old.

Yesterday I had an interview where the manager was complaining how the prior "young person" in the role was constantly texting and had to be told numerous times to stop it.

Then this manager proceeded to say, "but I'm sure we wouldn't have that issue with you."
And it's because you responded with, "What is texting?".

Old 12-24-2019, 07:49 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,225,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buenos View Post
Why is it limited to midpoint or below? If you want to hire high performers, then they are already above midpoint, they could only go to your company with a significant pay cut. Or is your corporate leadership prefers mediocrity?
I suppose it's because they have done studies and determined the salary midpoints to be comparable to other employers in the area, and so that people don't hit the maximum and lose annual increases too soon after starting work here. The ranges are updated annually but these days only 2-3% increases. The range for the position I have open now, for example, pays $58-85,000. I usually bring them in at about $65-70,000, and will give them a raise after passing probation. I am not going to start someone new at more than the person who has been here 4 years doing good work.

Old 12-24-2019, 08:09 AM

12,850 posts, read 9,064,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemlock140 View Post
I suppose it's because they have done studies and determined the salary midpoints to be comparable to other employers in the area, and so that people don't hit the maximum and lose annual increases too soon after starting work here. The ranges are updated annually but these days only 2-3% increases. The range for the position I have open now, for example, pays $58-85,000. I usually bring them in at about $65-70,000, and will give them a raise after passing probation. I am not going to start someone new at more than the person who has been here 4 years doing good work.
The problem with those studies is they assume you're competing in just a local market. Perhaps true for non-skilled and low skill labor. But today high skill labor is mobile. For example ( I think I mentioned this in another thread) our local market includes chicken plants and feed mills and some manufacturing. But I'm not hiring chicken pluckers; I'm hiring scientists and engineers. My competition isn't Tyson. It's Silicon Valley and Atlanta and Denver and places like that. Sure, one can argue the cost of living is lower, but it's not enough lower to compensate for the much lower pay.

Add to that many young people are looking for more lifestyle and amenities than our local area so we might need to actually pay more to get them to pick between say, here and Denver. Now, if we can get them in the door, the work we do here is so fascinating, many will stay, but it's the initial recruitment that's hard to overcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment