Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2018, 07:03 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
This will vary by company.

I am in my early 50s, and I qualify as one of those who reached VP level. I look around my workplace, and I can see many people my age who are employed, but are not at my level. I also look at my Facebook friends from high school and college, who are obviously clustered around me in age. Some have been very successful, others not as much, but the vast majority are working. There are a number of business owners, a few artists and musicians, several teachers, a few tradesmen, some bus/truck/delivery drivers, a doctor or three, etc.

I think that OP is looking at a very small portion of the working population and seeing something that is not represented in the larger world.
A lot of this depends on the geographic area, as well as the industry in question. A regular industry in flyover country will have a different demographic than a coastal tech outfit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2018, 12:18 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,645,655 times
People in their 40s and above do all sorts of jobs: teacher, principal, assistant principal, administrative assistants, marketing, PR, sales, business analysts, nurses, CPAs, engineers, customer service representatives, A/P & A/R associates, social work, pastor, truck drivers, longshoremen, business owners.

Old 12-10-2018, 12:59 PM

15,802 posts, read 20,526,504 times
I'm almost 40 and in engineering. Most of my coworkers are in the same age range as me. Youngest is 25, oldest....well my Boss is 70 years old. Ironically i'm waiting for him to retire so I can take his managerial position.

But i'm not really too worried. Things aren't as bleak in the northeast. I deal with a lot of engineers from other companies who are the same age or slightly older than I.

The younger guys get the crap work because they just don't have the experience needed yet.

Old 12-10-2018, 10:17 PM

1,768 posts, read 1,638,983 times
I've always wondered where the old people were. I'm 33 and here is my work experience in tech as a data scientist and analyst.

Employer 1: 50 person tech start up where 3 or 4 people were 40+

Employer 2: 300 person ad-tech company where 50 or so people were 40+

Employer 3: 40 person tech start up where 8 people were 40+

I'm assuming this may just be the result of me working in tech.

Old 12-11-2018, 10:02 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,079,443 times
I work with a majority of people in their 30's-40's

Old 12-11-2018, 06:03 PM

809 posts, read 1,331,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Up or out.

Many are forced to just change industries or get a McJob in Boonestowne,Nowhere USA live with family and minimalist lifestyle under the radar. Millions of Americans in the heartland are "invisible" and live this way. CNBC vaguely refers to them in general statistical sound bytes. (Usually when referencing the Opiod crisis)
Yes they do work. I have 3 kids 30-40- all work. All their friends work. All have great jobs, own homes, have kids, travel, have retirement accts and seem to be doing very well. I personally know none of my kids have credit card debt and all have paid off student loans years ago. (Can't speak for their friends).

Additionally, all have work extremely hard to get where they are today. Have changed jobs if they wanted more or saw a better opportunity.

So yes... 30's and 40's do work.

Old 12-11-2018, 07:41 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,390,475 times
The business world is second only to the entertainment world in massive age discrimination and preference for youth in hiring.

Many people in their 30s and 40s, where I live, are working in restaurants, Wal Mart, retail jobs. These are parents of kids, some even have college degrees.

At the last place I worked, an architectural firm, everyone was under 40 except for the principals of the firm.

Old 12-13-2018, 06:54 PM

245 posts, read 153,008 times
Some of them work. Some are overgrown, pot-smoking, basement dwellers who leech off of mommy and daddy and spend their days watching TV, playing video games, and eating pizza.

Old 12-13-2018, 07:11 PM

4,974 posts, read 2,715,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
The business world is second only to the entertainment world in massive age discrimination and preference for youth in hiring.

Many people in their 30s and 40s, where I live, are working in restaurants, Wal Mart, retail jobs. These are parents of kids, some even have college degrees.

At the last place I worked, an architectural firm, everyone was under 40 except for the principals of the firm.
Yes, age discrimination is rampant.

Old 12-13-2018, 08:32 PM

715 posts, read 1,074,404 times
I find this question so very odd, like people in their 30s and 40s are some mysterious phenomena at this point in time.

The Gen X group is working. We’re either doing that or running our own business. Some may be doing both.

Maybe some of us don’t look our age. I don’t. I’m routinely thought to be early to mid-30’s at the oldest. Some people hit 40 and in less than 5 years they look over 50.

As far as industries go, we’re everywhere. Sure, there may be a few less in some industries than others, but we work regardless. You should see far less in the entry-level or hourly wage earners of an office environment. Yes, they exist, but with years of experience, there’s more likely to be growth into middle management or higher, especially in the 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment