Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 07:27 PM

203 posts, read 108,555 times

Advertisements

I'm 40 and I've noticed that the people at my company get younger and younger and I'm not the only one who's noticed. My co worker who is 42 agrees. Now the VPs tend to be older - 40's, 50's and 60s. But what about the folks who never reach VP status? What happened to these workers, they just arent hirable?

I've noticed it at other companies too so I'm really wonder, what do these people do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 08:10 PM

4,633 posts, read 3,467,226 times
Young people are cheaper and easier to control. Generally speaking.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:18 PM

102,212 posts, read 107,931,771 times
There are lots of them in state government jobs, university jobs, federal bureaucracy jobs, the post office, etc. Also in financial services of various sorts, and teaching, non-profits. IDK, OP, I haven't noticed the same thing, but I don't move in the same circles as you.

Old 12-07-2018, 08:33 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
They do not.
People in their 30s and 40s work.

Old 12-07-2018, 10:00 PM

6,311 posts, read 6,819,011 times
Given how everyone talks about how Millennials run and change the economy and the very youngest Millennials are 24 now yes, Millennials do work.

Old 12-08-2018, 08:20 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Up or out.

Many are forced to just change industries or get a McJob in Boonestowne,Nowhere USA live with family and minimalist lifestyle under the radar. Millions of Americans in the heartland are "invisible" and live this way. CNBC vaguely refers to them in general statistical sound bytes. (Usually when referencing the Opiod crisis)

Old 12-08-2018, 09:23 AM

6,590 posts, read 11,290,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I'm 40 and I've noticed that the people at my company get younger and younger and I'm not the only one who's noticed. My co worker who is 42 agrees. Now the VPs tend to be older - 40's, 50's and 60s. But what about the folks who never reach VP status? What happened to these workers, they just arent hirable?

I've noticed it at other companies too so I'm really wonder, what do these people do?

I think there are a number of factors. The most obvious is Gen. X vs. Millennials. There are simply more people in their mid-20 to mid-30's vs. those in their late 30's to late 40's. Especially now as Gen Z starts entering the workforce. Gen X is right in that sweet spot you're referring to, 40's-early 50's that are simply outnumbered.

The number of small business has also been growing, meaning people are moving out on their own. And this is more apparent with non-employer businesses. I don't know the age of these folks, but it would make sense to me that it would more likely be those who had worked for some time and gained enough experience to venture out.

Another factor is the type of company. a tech start-up is likely to have much younger workers, and the opposite will be true for a consulting firm that deals with business and leadership strategies.

Old 12-08-2018, 10:20 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
People in their 30s and 40s have a higher level of experience combined with maturity and work ethic and thus are more COSTLY. . All strikes against them in today's corporate environment. So no.. many are either unemployed or underemployed.

Today is all about short term gains. That means cutting experience and higher salary. Employers don't think long term anymore. Just Next quarter. No one cares if the company suffers long term and goes out of business due to lack of training, education, experience just as long as next quarter looks profitable on paper due to salary/expense reduction.

Age discrimination is real. Once you hit 30 you're in rough shape unless you're well connected.

Most of the "older employees" are shown the door. Thats why you don't see many around. Its mostly kids just out of college. Like I said, sure the company will suffer HEAVILY long term because of this (Ive seen it first hand) because the expertise is gone. Employers don't care. Thats why I would never do any more than absolutely necessary to get by because sooner or later once you hit a certain age and become more expensive youre out the door.

My company (that has fallen through the cracks financially, operations have tumbled and TO record high surprise surprise ) has 23-25 year olds running the process engineering dept. And their only ability is create excel sheets and throwing them out in mass emails and don't have the first clue about operations first hand and everyone marvels at the level of cluelessness from the corporate office filled with 20-28 year olds. They don't know their rear from a hold in the ground. They haven't had ANY real world experience outside of living in a classroom paid for by their parents.

You may get lucky and work for an employer that values experience, education, real world knowledge, etc. but 95 percent of them don't now. Its all about next quarter's profit and expense reduction

Last edited by DorianRo; 12-08-2018 at 10:39 AM..

Old 12-08-2018, 10:43 AM

7,977 posts, read 4,988,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
There are lots of them in state government jobs, university jobs, federal bureaucracy jobs, the post office, etc. Also in financial services of various sorts, and teaching, non-profits. IDK, OP, I haven't noticed the same thing, but I don't move in the same circles as you.
Its tougher to layoff people once they become "too expensive" in those areas. Thats why

Old 12-08-2018, 11:55 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
There is a huge amount of age discrimination in various industries. If you're in one of those industries (such as tech) and you're getting older, you will have the choice of unemployment or career change.

If you've ever gotten rejected for being "overqualified" - that shows you're in an field where age discrimination is rampant.

Career change is a good strategy - to an industry where age discrimination is not a big problem. But be aware that there are no jobs (except mcjobs and sales) that require no experience, and employers tend not to count experience in a previous field.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment