Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 07:31 PM

469 posts, read 638,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
then there shouldn't be any concern
I was thinking the same thing about the over paid people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I've only worked for companies with multiple thousands of employees (at the low end) to over 100,000 employees. As a hiring manager, I'm always looking for talented people to hire - especially when I do not have any openings.

So you would run ads just to see what is out there in the hopes you find a good one. Why especially when you don't have any openings?

Old 01-24-2019, 05:49 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,879,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
The boss is running ads and conducting interviews for all positions in the company. It is a small company and someone found the ads and confronted employer. Employer said they may be switching people around and changing people's positions because they are expanding. Also said they are just trying to see what is out there.

They never thought the employees would find out. Time to look for a new job.

Thoughts?

Yep. Never heard of a situation like this, where he is interviewing for all the positions, that is very odd. But, you have to go with your gut feelings, those initial instincts are generally pretty accurate.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:22 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,238,461 times
Immediately start running a stealth job search. This means do not tell anyone at work you're working, and tell recruiters not to contact your current employer.

Do this while you are working, so you are a coveted "passive candidate" so recruiters will trip over themselves to recruit you. Once you're out of work, employers discriminate against those out of work.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:26 AM

78,578 posts, read 60,772,556 times
A good boss, if they were expanding would have said as much instead of not telling people what they were up to and potentially causing distress because frankly nothing stays secret. I mean "Holy 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" Batman. The odds that he would put such an add out there and have nobody in the company, or their family or friends bring it to their attention etc. is nil.

To me, expansion sounds like a lie designed to keep people from leaving until they have replacements lined up but I could be wrong, OP is so much closer to the situation.

It's never a bad idea to shop around though, see what is out there and perhaps find something better.

Key point: How has the business been doing financially? If it's been doing poorly to mediocre then the "expanding" thing is more likely to be untruthful.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:34 AM

3,909 posts, read 2,127,646 times
Quote:
The boss is running ads and conducting interviews for all positions in the company. It is a small company and someone found the ads and confronted employer. Employer said they may be switching people around and changing people's positions because they are expanding. Also said they are just trying to see what is out there.

They never thought the employees would find out. Time to look for a new job.

Thoughts?
From personal experience, hit the ground running on job sites.

Old 01-24-2019, 11:49 AM

34,121 posts, read 83,106,864 times
Quote:
I am not incompetent and I am not part of the overpaid crowd.
The more I read here the more I suspect you ARE incompetent and/or overpaid as well.

Old 01-24-2019, 12:23 PM

51,659 posts, read 25,891,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Immediately start running a stealth job search. This means do not tell anyone at work you're working, and tell recruiters not to contact your current employer.

Do this while you are working, so you are a coveted "passive candidate" so recruiters will trip over themselves to recruit you. Once you're out of work, employers discriminate against those out of work.
Bingo.

I have a cousin who used to do a job search every two years "just to see what's out there." Sometimes he'd find a new job and leave. Sometimes he'd stay. Once he got hired on at a new company that bought out his old company and he ended up supervising his former boss.

His theory was that if the company decided to "change directions," they'd fire him in a heartbeat. He needed to keep on top of things, keep expanding his network.

Lots of times companies make decisions that have nothing to do with the competency of the current employees. Sometimes companies just make poor decisions. Sometimes they are losing money and think if they reorganize they can save money and keep from going under.

In any case, you are in a much better position to land a new job if you are working already.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about what the company is up to. You know what's going on.

Best to get out ahead of it.

Old 01-24-2019, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Yep. Never heard of a situation like this, where he is interviewing for all the positions, that is very odd. But, you have to go with your gut feelings, those initial instincts are generally pretty accurate.
They were interviewing at the job and we saw all the candidates coming in to be interviewed but they would not disclose for what role to us.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post

That is what I am doing now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
A good boss, if they were expanding would have said as much instead of not telling people what they were up to and potentially causing distress because frankly nothing stays secret. I mean "Holy 6 degrees of Kevin Bacon" Batman. The odds that he would put such an add out there and have nobody in the company, or their family or friends bring it to their attention etc. is nil.

To me, expansion sounds like a lie designed to keep people from leaving until they have replacements lined up but I could be wrong, OP is so much closer to the situation.

It's never a bad idea to shop around though, see what is out there and perhaps find something better.

Key point: How has the business been doing financially? If it's been doing poorly to mediocre then the "expanding" thing is more likely to be untruthful.

Business under performed this year. I am definitely shopping around now to be safe and get out ahead of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Bingo.

I have a cousin who used to do a job search every two years "just to see what's out there." Sometimes he'd find a new job and leave. Sometimes he'd stay. Once he got hired on at a new company that bought out his old company and he ended up supervising his former boss.

His theory was that if the company decided to "change directions," they'd fire him in a heartbeat. He needed to keep on top of things, keep expanding his network.

Lots of times companies make decisions that have nothing to do with the competency of the current employees. Sometimes companies just make poor decisions. Sometimes they are losing money and think if they reorganize they can save money and keep from going under.

In any case, you are in a much better position to land a new job if you are working already.

I wouldn't spend too much time worrying about what the company is up to. You know what's going on.

Best to get out ahead of it.

That is exactly what I am doing now. Now that the shock and fear has wore off, I am shopping around to see what is out there.

Thanks everyone for all your input. I appreciate all of you talking me through this and giving me great advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment