Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:55 AM

2,970 posts, read 2,770,510 times

Advertisements

My former employer did this back in December 2015.

At the end of November 2015 there was a notice on the wall near the time clock we all used to clock in and out for work stating that there is a mandatory meeting that after-noon.

My employer had a contract with a client, and every December my employer renewed that contract.

My immediate supervisor heard that there would be changes coming, but he was not told what type of changes.

We were all told at the meeting that the client and our employer were making some changes.

A new division was taking over our jobs, and everyone had to interview for their job again.

According to one of the managers, the client was not happy with how well we were doing our jobs.

And there would be a shift change. We worked first shift and second shift. The new shift would be an over-night shift.

There was also a new job that we would all interview for, and our employer would choose the top 5 candidates.

The majority of us were laid off New Years Eve 2015.

New employees were hired for our jobs.

I found out from one of workers, during the summer of 2016, who stayed on, that half of the new staff were laid off by the client.

Then I found out from the same co-worker in 2017 that the remaining staff were laid off by the client as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 10:26 AM

838 posts, read 555,351 times
I once dated this guy. My friend found his online dating profile. I confronted him. He said he was just curious as to what kind of single ladies were out there on the prowl. I think the last thing I said to him was something along the lines of "good luck with that", followed by a hand gesture.

OP - it's time to hit the proverbial pavement.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:52 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,544,097 times
Stay, they haven't fired you yet so why would they later? Even if they are looking for someone new, that new person may not be as good so they let him go instead.

Besides the next place you go to, how do you know you weren't the one replacing someone else? You could be that person

Last edited by MLSFan; 01-23-2019 at 11:15 AM..

Old 01-23-2019, 11:14 AM

102,211 posts, read 107,931,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
A vague answer of "just trying to see what is out there" does not inspire confidence.

It reminds me of something a cheating spouse would say when caught in the act.
Plus, they wouldn't have to advertise for ALL the positions, just to "see4 what's out there".

OP, do you have a way of reviewing the company's financials, to see if they've had a downtown (which would support your "looking for cheaper labor" theory), or if they've had a growth spurt (which would support the "we're expanding" statement)?

They're setting themselves up to spend a LOT of time interviewing candidates for all those positions. Something must be up.

Old 01-23-2019, 11:51 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,116,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3littlebirdies View Post
They never thought the employees would find out.
I don't buy this. With the job site web searches I have set up, I would find out within 24 hours if my job was posted somewhere. HR people know how these sites work.

By responding evasively after advertising existing position titles openly, the bosses may be hoping that some people they want to get rid of will take the hint and save them the trouble of showing them the door. Think hard about whether you fall into that category, OP. It will give you insight into whether you should be packing your parachute.

Or if you are on good terms with your manager, offer to help with training of the new people who will be doing the same job as you. Catching your manager off guard with a friendly offer to help and seeing how they respond will give you insight into what those ads really mean.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:24 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Maybe the company needs more highly skilled employees. Maybe they are looking for better employees. Maybe you (not you personally, but collectively the employees of the firm) haven't kept your skills current or have become complacent and no longer earn your paychecks (again, not you personally, but collectively the employees of the firm).
Sadly, no mere employee thinks they are not pulling their weight and mistakenly think their employer sees it that way also. If employees spent more time on their own value to the company versus always thinking the company is going to screw them over, they wouldn't be in these situations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
By responding evasively after advertising existing position titles openly, the bosses may be hoping that some people they want to get rid of will take the hint and save them the trouble of showing them the door. Think hard about whether you fall into that category, OP. It will give you insight into whether you should be packing your parachute.
Usually those who jump to the worst case scenario are the ones the company is looking to can.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:39 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Irregardless of what is actually going on with this company, it is very inappropriate to parade potential replacements around where current employees can see them. Unless I found a way better job than the one I have, I would stick around and see this play out. If they terminate everyone or lay them off you can draw unemployment while searching. From what I hear there are plenty of infilled jobs out there.

Old 01-23-2019, 01:49 PM

13,130 posts, read 21,001,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Irregardless of what is actually going on with this company, it is very inappropriate to parade potential replacements around where current employees can see them.
Nobody paraded no one through the office! That was just some paranoid delusional what-if comment by the OP. But they never said it actually happened.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:41 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabrrita View Post
Nobody paraded no one through the office! That was just some paranoid delusional what-if comment by the OP. But they never said it actually happened.
But don't you think the employer's behavior that the OP has shared so far is strange if all is well with the company and the status of its current employees? I certainly do.

Old 01-23-2019, 04:55 PM

469 posts, read 637,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
Plus, they wouldn't have to advertise for ALL the positions, just to "see4 what's out there".

OP, do you have a way of reviewing the company's financials, to see if they've had a downtown (which would support your "looking for cheaper labor" theory), or if they've had a growth spurt (which would support the "we're expanding" statement)?

They're setting themselves up to spend a LOT of time interviewing candidates for all those positions. Something must be up.

They spent a lot of time interviewing. Everyone at the job is nervous no one knows what is going on. I have never been written up or had performance issues but I don't think that matters. I did overhear that they said their needs have changed and they are going in a different direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment