Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:01 AM

5,820 posts, read 3,877,553 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
I thought that Catholic rule about not eating meat on Friday went the way of the Dodo bird?
It's still true during Lent. It used to be year-round, even during Ordinary Time (not Christmas or Easter season).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2019, 08:39 AM

41 posts, read 24,128 times
Swiiiisssh.. glop glop glop... *smack* *smack* *smack*... *strong smell of fish/vegetables/spices/other foods wafts towards you....*

That's why I never eat at my desk and can't stand when other people do. Also, I like getting outside of the office environment for an hour. I'm not paid for my lunch hour, so I'll spend it somewhere that is not at work.

Old 03-09-2019, 09:23 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,948,599 times
Fish stinks, and for someone who doesn't like fish, the smell is offensive. It is an inappropriate meal to bring to work. I wonder if the folks who are defending bringing fish to work are the same people who complain about someone's aftershave or perfume.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:45 PM

1,516 posts, read 1,248,990 times
Have you ever gotten a migraine from smelly fish? That is why people complain about perfumes and colognes, they are migraine triggers.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:53 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
I get more upset when they heat the fish in the microwave. The smell stays in there and then I have to eat fish-scented popcorn. The worse was years back when I worked for a school district. I walked into the teacher's lounge to heat my coffee on a Monday morning, opened the microwave and was practically knocked back by the smell of rotten fish. Someone had apparently cooked fish on FRIDAY and it exploded all over the microwave. There were 3-day old pieces of fish stuck to the top and all sides. It was disgusting, but I cleaned it all out. I could not believe someone would be that rude to do that and then leave it all weekend.

Old 03-09-2019, 02:06 PM

12,777 posts, read 14,987,827 times
OP, you do have a point, I mean WHY MUST people have fish, onions, garlic, &/or other more pungent ingredients/foods like that as your work meal?? Why is it so darn necessary?? And don't just say because I want to.

You can have that for dinner when you get home & over the weekends, so you have more chances to eat it outside of work than at work. I've never in my life had smellier foods like that at lunchtime when I've at work. I'm thoughtful about that kind of thing. I don't want to ever worry that my breath isn't the freshest one day or something. Yes, I have consideration for others around me.

Why risk having bad breath or going through the trouble & having to waste time brushing your teeth at work, gargling w/ mouthwash, etc.??? Just mints or gum doesn't cut either.

Old 03-09-2019, 05:05 PM

3,135 posts, read 2,259,211 times
Eating fish at work is no different than eating any other foods. Everything puts off some kind of odor.

Now, if you want to experience some strong fish smell, eat lunch in a cafeteria full of Japanese who warm up last nights dinner complete with their brand of fish sauce. It’s almost as strong as what the Vietnamese use. That’ll clear your sinuses!

Old 03-09-2019, 05:26 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
As long as there are general break room guidelines about not bringing in smelly foods, I don't see how there's any argument that it could potentially be considered 'discriminatory.'

Old 03-09-2019, 06:03 PM

50,816 posts, read 36,501,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
As long as there are general break room guidelines about not bringing in smelly foods, I don't see how there's any argument that it could potentially be considered 'discriminatory.'
No one is saying it should be outlawed, I just happen to think it’s a rude thing to bring in to eat at work, and especially to heat in a communal microwave.

Old 03-09-2019, 07:30 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnjgirl View Post
No one is saying it should be outlawed, I just happen to think it’s a rude thing to bring in to eat at work, and especially to heat in a communal microwave.
I'm not sure who you were responding to, but I was referring to a previous poster who implied that banning smelly foods from the work place could lead to issues especially if it's 'ethnic' cuisine.

I think offensive smelling foods should be banned from the work space, I don't care what kind of cuisine it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment