Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:23 AM

21,884 posts, read 12,943,092 times

Advertisements

I love a nice tin of smoked oysters, trout, salmon, or herring with crackers for lunch at my desk. Luckily, I have a private office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2019, 07:27 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,269,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Why??????
Why does anyone eat stinky food at work? To a lot of westerners, Asian cuisines are stinky (I prefer to use the term "fragrant"). To a lot of Asians, western food is stinky (think food with lots of cheese on it, or any food with broccoli/cabbage/cauliflower/etc).

I don't bring food with a strong odor to work regardless of what type of cuisine it is. People in my office rarely microwave strong-smelling food in the small break room niches; they save that for the dedicated cafeteria-style break room with a dozen microwaves in it and room for about 100 people to sit and eat lunch. It gets pretty whiffy down there with dozens of people microwaving their lunches in a short span of time. But that's where they're supposed to do it, so I don't care.

Since this is Lent, you're going to smell more fish at the office if you work with observant Catholics (I don't know if other denominations eat lots of fish during Lent). It's temporary and they'll be really sick of fish by Easter.

Old 03-07-2019, 09:16 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,075,155 times
They like fish.

I sometimes bring tuna to work, but I will eat it in my car. I don't expect others to do that, though. You can't police coworkers diets.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:09 AM

6,617 posts, read 6,538,543 times
I believe that some people are much more sensitive to smells and can smell things a lot of other people can't.

I have a VERY good sniffer. To have to smell something obnoxious all day would get on my nerves. Big time.

I think if someone was bringing stinky lunch on a regular basis to a shared area at work, I'd be writing an anonymous note and leaving it on his/her desk. Might help, might not.

Old 03-07-2019, 11:31 AM

6,782 posts, read 9,590,030 times
Anonymous notes to co-workers are worse than any office lunch possible that doesn't involve cannibalism.

Old 03-07-2019, 12:45 PM

4,481 posts, read 3,637,234 times
It is called consideration for shared work space and shared air space. Our firm has a sign on the refrigerator with unacceptable food that they would prefer not to smell in the office. I don't necessary agree with going that far, but I do think really fragrant food should be eaten at home. In our office no: hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, fish, popcorn (before 4:00 p.m.), seafood, kimchi, cabbage, broccoli, or greens. We try to be considerate of our clients as well as our colleagues. I am a practicing Catholic and during the Lenten season, if I bring tuna or seafood, I will close my office door or go out to a restaurant. Some people are allergic to fish and the smell can make them sick.

This isn't your private home and you don't make the rules. Fish smells can definitely linger in a shared microwave and affect the smell of the next food placed in it.

Just as there are office policies regarding smoking, strong perfumes and colognes, etc. - the work space should be habitable for everyone. Bristling over one's right to eat smelly foods at lunch can also be viewed as selfish and inconsiderate. It won't kill you to bring and eat something else, get over yourselves.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:38 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,758,884 times
We have to accept 1 major fact:

This is a country made up of people of all nationalities, and cultures, that eat different than what you do. To them their food does not stink,and often your food stinks to them, and often nauseates them.

Warming up meat dishes that you love, will turn the stomach of a vegan, or some cultures both from odors, but also the sight of someone eating meat or meat products. Even if you eat it cold, will repulse them as much or more than someone heating fish, repulses you.

Due to this one fact, it would eliminate anyone eating in a break room, if they only ate what would not cause problems with other employees in many companies.

The only advice anyone can give you, is ignore them, or eat elsewhere.

Old 03-07-2019, 02:43 PM

838 posts, read 564,955 times
You seen the meme on Reddit, didn't you?

Old 03-07-2019, 02:45 PM

10,341 posts, read 5,862,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
We have to accept 1 major fact:

This is a country made up of people of all nationalities, and cultures, that eat different than what you do. To them their food does not stink,and often your food stinks to them, and often nauseates them.

Warming up meat dishes that you love, will turn the stomach of a vegan, or some cultures both from odors, but also the sight of someone eating meat or meat products. Even if you eat it cold, will repulse them as much or more than someone heating fish, repulses you.

Due to this one fact, it would eliminate anyone eating in a break room, if they only ate what would not cause problems with other employees in many companies.

The only advice anyone can give you, is ignore them, or eat elsewhere.
I was only commenting on the desk smells. I can't leave my desk just because someone else eats every meal at theirs, next to me. We have break rooms, shops, vending machines, a room with a fireplace, food trucks, picnic tables...so I don't think it's obnoxious for me to go out for lunch and come back to be annoyed by stinker at her desk. I'm working more from home now, so no I don't think this is a first world problem, but some people post their thoughts in an online thread.

Old 03-07-2019, 04:02 PM

10,611 posts, read 12,118,283 times
Quote:
so no I don't think this is a first world problem,
....so someone's lunch choice is right up there with ter-ror groups kidnapping hundreds of girls, political prisoners disappearing, and millions of people not having clean water. OK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment