Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2019, 03:55 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times

Advertisements

Is there really a shortage of workers in the manufacturing sector?

https://www.shopfloor.org/2018/12/ma...paign=EconNews

Quote form article:
"As yet another sign of just how tight the labor market is right now, for the eighth consecutive month there were more job openings in the U.S. economy (7,079,000 in October) than the number of people looking for work (6,075,000 in October and 5,975,000 in November). In addition, the number of nonfarm payroll job openings was not far from the all-time high (7,293,000) set in August"

This would indicate that manufacturing is also increasing in the USA again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2019, 05:43 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,513,348 times
Are you calling the manufacturing companies liars?

Old 03-11-2019, 08:31 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,229,962 times
Manufacturers chopped six tons of heads ages ago. Those people went elsewhere. If they had kids, those kids have long memories. They remember being kids and daddy or mommy out of work and being forced to live in poverty after the layoffs. As adults they hear manufacturing employers whining about a "talent shortage" as crocodile tears.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:01 AM

4,630 posts, read 4,900,788 times
https://www.bls.gov/news.release/empsit.nr0.htm

Manufacturing added 4000 jobs last month after averaging adding 22,000 job per month over the last year.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:20 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,332,370 times
For any sector of employment where it's claimed a "labor shortage" exists, ask yourself one simple question:

Are wages going up faster in that sector than in other sectors of the economy with similar pay rates?

If not, NO SHORTAGE.

This analysis will, for example, show that the "engineering shortage" we've been hearing about ever since I graduated from college and scuffled for a year and a half to find an engineering job, almost 35 years ago, does not exist.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:22 AM

6,345 posts, read 8,122,671 times
There's a shortage of workers only due to massive layoffs in previous years. The employees have moved on to other jobs and don't want to come back. Now may not be a good time to go back to manufacturing.

There will be lots of employees from GM, Fiat Chryslier, and other auto layoffs that will be taking those vacancies in those other manufacturing companies. Auto sales have stalled and the big auto manufacturers are still going through layoffs.

Old 03-12-2019, 08:59 AM

35,081 posts, read 31,322,562 times
Around here, there are only vacancies for jobs that are low paying.

Old 03-12-2019, 12:28 PM

8,893 posts, read 5,375,111 times
One of my kids has applied for a couple of these jobs.

They wanted at least 3 years of experience, which she didn't have. Another one of my children went to a technical high school and studied manufacturing technology. Upon looking at the jobs she was trying to get, he said For crying out loud, I could teach her that in a month.

Old 03-12-2019, 07:56 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,425,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by move4ward View Post
There's a shortage of workers only due to massive layoffs in previous years. The employees have moved on to other jobs and don't want to come back. Now may not be a good time to go back to manufacturing.

There will be lots of employees from GM, Fiat Chryslier, and other auto layoffs that will be taking those vacancies in those other manufacturing companies. Auto sales have stalled and the big auto manufacturers are still going through layoffs.
Chrysler is adding jobs in Detroit.

Fiat Chrysler announces plan to build new assembly plant in Detroit
https://www.clickondetroit.com/autom...ant-in-detroit

Old 03-12-2019, 11:49 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,957,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Are you calling the manufacturing companies liars?
I think perhaps the reporting can be. Why would a company go around saying they are having trouble finding workers. Either raise wages, or just keep doing what you are doing to find workers. No need to tell everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
Manufacturers chopped six tons of heads ages ago. Those people went elsewhere. If they had kids, those kids have long memories. They remember being kids and daddy or mommy out of work and being forced to live in poverty after the layoffs. As adults they hear manufacturing employers whining about a "talent shortage" as crocodile tears.
Quote:
Originally Posted by turf3 View Post
For any sector of employment where it's claimed a "labor shortage" exists, ask yourself one simple question:

Are wages going up faster in that sector than in other sectors of the economy with similar pay rates?

If not, NO SHORTAGE.

This analysis will, for example, show that the "engineering shortage" we've been hearing about ever since I graduated from college and scuffled for a year and a half to find an engineering job, almost 35 years ago, does not exist.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
One of my kids has applied for a couple of these jobs.

They wanted at least 3 years of experience, which she didn't have. Another one of my children went to a technical high school and studied manufacturing technology. Upon looking at the jobs she was trying to get, he said For crying out loud, I could teach her that in a month.
Lots of skeptics on here, I like that.

So you dont think there is more manufacturing coming back. I heard that Phx area is getting a lot of chip manufacturers moving in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment