Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2019, 09:48 PM

197 posts, read 97,863 times

Advertisements

Leaders usually know when reorgs/RIFs are going to happen and will shuffle teams to give the employees that they like a soft landing. This is good to know because it helps you detect warning signs ("I sense a disturbance in the Force," to quote Star Wars).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2019, 09:51 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Read the Gervais Principle.

https://www.ribbonfarm.com/the-gervais-principle/

It explains this nicely. Sociopaths get other sociopaths into "soft landing" jobs.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:53 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,128,565 times
Absolutely. Higher ups = management. Management likes the most competent and effective employees. Management will protect these employees. By protecting these employees, they are protecting themselves.

Old 03-24-2019, 09:57 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,041,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Absolutely. Higher ups = management. Management likes the most competent and effective employees. Management will protect these employees. By protecting these employees, they are protecting themselves.
Agreed. It is my job to protect and retain productive employees. Why is this surprising?

Old 03-24-2019, 10:01 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,224,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Hospitality View Post
Management likes the most competent and effective employees.
Not always.

They'll protect the crony.

The congressman, who directs a lot of business to the company, his kid gets protected though utterly worthless. The mayor's wife, doing "consulting contracts" where she hardly show up for work - also gets protected. The Boss's old college drinking buddy, also gets protected - though he shows up drunk a lot to work. Ghost payrollers never get cut in RIF's.

They'll protect the low-salary visa holder and lay off the US Citizen who is forced to train them.

They'll protect the ineffective workaholic working 100 hours a week over the guy who gets his work done right in 40 hours a week.

And if the executives want to get that boost in their bonus check by announcing layoffs, they'll lay off all the most competent and effective people at the expense of the company's future. Who cares, they're getting their golden parachute next year when the company's earnings tank.

The Gervais Principle is how corporations run.

The most effective and competent people get rejected for being overqualified when they apply for jobs.

Old 03-24-2019, 10:37 PM

197 posts, read 97,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Agreed. It is my job to protect and retain productive employees. Why is this surprising?
It's not surprising, but how it's done can be interesting.

For example, let's say a manager knows that everyone below him with job title Widget Maker is under threat of being RIFed in the upcoming reorg. One day he'll give some widget makers that he likes a brand new job title on a brand new team he has formed, which seems random if you don't understand what's going on. I've seen this happen.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:03 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallbuilder View Post
Leaders usually know when reorgs/RIFs are going to happen and will shuffle teams to give the employees that they like a soft landing. This is good to know because it helps you detect warning signs ("I sense a disturbance in the Force," to quote Star Wars).
You are entirely missing the reason why they "like" these employees. It is mostly sour grapes why others who get let go don't want to realize they weren't really a great contributor to the company to begin with. Sorry to see people lose a job, but any time I've seen a layoff, there wasn't a single person in that group I thought we could do without.

You know better? Start a company and show us all how it is run. We wait for your strong list of excuses of why you can't do this.

Old 03-24-2019, 11:10 PM

3,882 posts, read 2,370,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Exactly, the employees are valuable resources. I don't think it is smart to allow the good ones to leave.

Some have this fantasy that the company only keeps people they are friends with through some mysterious or underhanded connections. What those fail to realize is, a company has work to do, and it can't get it done with unqualified people that they simply enjoy partying with. If they did this, it would be the market place that would get rid of them. If the marketplace doesn't get rid of them, then the qualifications to work there aren't that strong, so people who get let go should find a better company and improve their skills. Then there are the group who aren't pleasant to work with, and then are astonished when they aren't kept around.

Old 03-25-2019, 06:56 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,423,448 times
If there is one thing that has surprised me more than anything it is how utterly devoid of meritocracy most work places are as exemplified in hiring, raises/retention, and layoffs.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:35 AM

78,348 posts, read 60,547,237 times
My father once upon a time worked in a manufacturing facility.
Here are two of the stories he shared with me....

Employee A: "It's not fair, you have favorites."

My father: "Yes I do. They're the people that will fill in without complaining, do good work, show up on time etc. etc. etc."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The other was a time where they were doing layoffs and he got spared and the boss said that whenever he asked my dad to do something new, different, difficult....the response he got was never excuses, complaints etc. but rather "Sure, sounds good."

This may sound like basic common sense but for people that have never been in a management position (or even just had a lot of kids) the one that takes care of problems and makes things go smoother ALWAYS wins out over the complainer etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment