Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 06:40 PM

203 posts, read 108,555 times

Advertisements

I applied for a job over the weekend and heard from the hiring manager this morning. He thanked me for applying and said based on my past experience he thinks this could be a strong fit. He asked me to complete a survey that asked a number of questions mostly about the type of culture I'm looking for and what I want out of my next job. The salary was also listed as 55k-90k and i put I'd be looking for 85k (there was a questions that asked about salary)

I heard back from him at 4pm and he just said, 'Thanks so much McBridge.'

um ok...and??

I'm telling you...looking for a job is the worst. I have no idea if he is no longer interested or what.

I also had a job interview on thursday where i met with 4 different people, hiring manager really seemed to like me...i sent a thank you that afternoon and she said it was great meeting with me and she'd be in touch next week. Heard nothing today so I'm not holding my breath. I'm pretty sure my salary requirements are too high. She asked what they were in the in person and i just had a feeling. I wish she had asked for them before i came in, could have saved me a trip.

To me if a few days go by and you have not heard next steps then it's not a good sign. If they want you, they'll make plans quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 06:50 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
OK, you made a mistake of asking for the high end of the range. That never works.

First, there is no more room at 85K to give out much more in raises. You're not going to 100K in this role. You'll top out at 90K and game over.

55k-90K means they're looking to hire people in the 55k-65k range. They're not looking to go much above 70k, despite the range.

Old 03-25-2019, 09:46 PM

607 posts, read 978,713 times
You got a gotcha pulled on yeah. Keep looking. Most likely will be silence from here on out.

In this situation you should have kept it open.

Old 03-25-2019, 10:50 PM

29,518 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Didn't the OP get a job offer not too long ago?

Old 03-26-2019, 05:53 AM

9,402 posts, read 8,369,560 times
If you had an interview on Thursday and you haven't heard back from them on Monday, that's only 2 short business days. Why would you expect to have an offer by then? They're likely interviewing other candidates as well. Take a deep breath and relax, if an offer is coming it will likely take a bit more than 2 days. If you haven't heard anything in a week, I like to send a quick follow up thanking them again and asking if they need any additional information to assist with their search.

Old 03-26-2019, 05:58 AM

2,702 posts, read 2,766,167 times
I just interviewed for a part time after school job as a tutor. I was considered very qualified. I haven't heard back from them yet.

Guess who's moving on and still looking around?

Me.

You can't put eggs in one basket.

You'll drive yourself nuts.

Old 03-26-2019, 06:06 AM

7,759 posts, read 3,887,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
OK, you made a mistake of asking for the high end of the range. That never works.

First, there is no more room at 85K to give out much more in raises. You're not going to 100K in this role. You'll top out at 90K and game over.

55k-90K means they're looking to hire people in the 55k-65k range. They're not looking to go much above 70k, despite the range.
Tired of the salary games. That's why one of my first communications to recruiters is now politely stating looking for 150k+ minimum comp. At this point I will just turn off my LinkedIN "open to new opportunities" because it's very clear 90% of recruiters only handle high volume junior level positions now. I am in NYC there is no reason that there should not be a plethora of 100k+ jobs coming across your desk as a recruiter.

Depending on your seniority I would not even be open to a range. Just tell them what you need to move and don't waste your time if they aren't immediately saying "We can do that". It all depends on your leverage. Right now I have strong leverage so I'm not budging on it.

Old 03-26-2019, 07:37 AM

203 posts, read 108,555 times
I also think it's BS to list a range of 55k-90k and THEN ask someone what their expectations are and not move forward when they choose 85k. This is BOSTON, it's expensive. No one unless they are desperate (which i guess some are) will pick the low end of that based on the job description.

Old 03-26-2019, 08:05 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBridge781 View Post
I also think it's BS to list a range of 55k-90k and THEN ask someone what their expectations are and not move forward when they choose 85k. This is BOSTON, it's expensive. No one unless they are desperate (which i guess some are) will pick the low end of that based on the job description.

It is a dog eat dog world out there and yes they know it is expensive . But at the same time they know they might get someone with your same exp for far less depending on how desperate they are . Now yes the best thing to say would be Im open and let them make the offer of what salary they are looking to pay . If it is not for you tell them thank you and move on . Jobs are not easy to come by these days . Good luck to you .

Old 03-26-2019, 08:08 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,539,449 times
It sucks but there's no way they pay someone 85k at that job. That upper range is for someone who accepts the job at 60-65k and works for years and years and eventually is making 90k in a decade or two. They probably will pay that 60-65k I mentioned to the person that accepts job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment