Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 05:02 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Quotes A Lot View Post
This exactly. Same with Uber/Lyft and any other autonomous piecemeal contract-type positions. I would never want to do it full time, but it's a path out of a bad situation if you are desperate. I don't really think anyone should look at these as full time jobs, but rather as supplemental jobs to supplement your income or to allow you to segue out of something.
It occurs to me that these are the perfect jobs for all the 669 types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2019, 05:11 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,710,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I don't want to use amazon anymore because it's a hassle to buy anything from them. Their "eligible for prime shipping" items are often priced higher than the same items that aren't prime. Chinese sellers have almost completely taken over amazon selling cheap junk and it takes longer to get when it's coming from Hong Kong. And I hate their new 2-step verification system that you have to use to log in now.
That's because Prime shipping cost more money for the seller, it's considered "Fullfilled by Amazon" which is how Amazon makes their money by charging sellers for this service and the fee for each item sold. If an item is not Prime, then Amazon only charges a fee for the item sold and the seller is responsible with shipping. In this case many items are now shipped from China and takes a month to get here.

2-step verification is enabled when you go to a new PC or device, once you pass it. Just enable "Don't ask to login on this machine again."

I have a merchant account with Amazon and I'm not selling anymore because it's too expensive to have anything sold on amazon, the fees are ridiculous. That's why most items with Prime are either junk or Amazon owned.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:20 PM

801 posts, read 547,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InchingWest View Post
If they run their numbers the way that people who drive for Uber or Lyft do they'll work a whole lot of hours only to make far less than minimum wage all while carrying a whole lot of risk.
Wrong.

There is a long thread about this already. A few people who drive Uber/Lyft gave some insight. It pays adequately for people who are in the right situation and understand the business.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:27 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Hate them all you want, but Amazon is a company that, amazingly, is in the business of making money. What a concept, huh? When you run a business, you always look for ways to reduce cost.

Old 05-14-2019, 05:40 PM

2,790 posts, read 1,644,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Hate them all you want, but Amazon is a company that, amazingly, is in the business of making money. What a concept, huh? When you run a business, you always look for ways to reduce cost.
While disguising itself as helping people.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:43 PM

801 posts, read 547,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sas318 View Post
While disguising itself as helping people.
But no one is being forced to do it though. They are simply giving people the option.

If it works for you, cool. If it doesn't, ignore it.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:53 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
They only have to pay the market rate for package deliveries.
What market rate? They'll say "this is what we pay, take it or leave it" just like Uber/Lyft does.

That's why they tend to make a lot of money gross (the gross amount is hyped into the stratosphere) - but after paying expenses and double social security tax and double medicare tax, plus one's own health insurance, they're not even making minimum wage.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:56 PM

5,317 posts, read 3,228,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Yes, companies can make nice profits without screwing their employees/contractors over. Trying to figure out why Costco pays and treats their people well and Amazon doesn't - and both are nicely profitable - and you think both are the same.

Old 05-14-2019, 06:57 PM

2,924 posts, read 1,588,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DorianRo View Post
And what about the insurance coverages for these independent contractors where they pay out the wazoo? Another dumpy employer trying to do anything to save a buck and will ultimately destroy them in the long run when they have no real talent for employees and no one to afford to contract with them?

This country needs some QUALITY employers for a change that invests in their workforce instead of cheapo, rotten mismanaged holes just trying to cut expense off the books and foot the bill onto someone else.. We got enough of those.

I guess its a good deal... For someone that can't do basic MATH
I really think we need to stop feeding the monster, to be honest. When we push for more and more and faster and faster and want one day deliveries (and after that, I expect people will start whining that they want and companies will push for "Wonkavision shipping" where they can just teleport an item from one place to another.) as they still won't be satisfied.

Since companies care most about profits and the customers care most about getting more and more for cheaper and cheaper, what happens to the worker doesn't seem to be a concern of either, which is a big reason why we're in the mess we're in.

If we weren't so greedy, Amazon and modern Walmart (not Sam's Walmart) wouldn't exist.

Another problem isn't just greed, though it goes along with it, but a increasing desire for convenience. People are happy that a smaller and smaller amount of companies control the stuff as they don't have to put forth so much effort to get stuff as they can grocery shop at Amazon, get packages from Amazon, stream from Amazon, etc.

This makes it easier for employers to cheat the workers as they have fewer and fewer places to go. And it also makes it easier for viewpoint censorship as the small amount of guys in the market can censor any political or worker viewpoint by cutting off foes from their markets.

Facebook, Youtube, Google, PayPal, etc wouldn't be able to engage in political censorship if they weren't so heavily relied upon as a "convenience".

Old 05-14-2019, 06:58 PM

780 posts, read 425,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liar_Liar View Post
Wrong.

There is a long thread about this already. A few people who drive Uber/Lyft gave some insight. It pays adequately for people who are in the right situation and understand the business.
I casually drove for Uber during the week to and from work at one point. Made about $75 extra per week for my particular commute. Almost used it as a way out of a very toxic work culture. It has its uses, just don’t expect it to be a suitable permanent, full time job and you’ll be okay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment