Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 12:17 PM

26,214 posts, read 49,052,722 times

Advertisements

I don't see this topic as being specific to Colorado so I'm moving it to the Work and Employment forum.
- Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.
- Thank you and enjoy City-Data.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 12:21 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
I don't agree with pre-employment drug testing unless it's crucial to the type of work a person is doing, such as someone who works in healthcare, drives a truck or operates heavy equipment, airline pilot, etc.

I think most businesses waste time and money policing their employees.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:22 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Fire him.

Zero ethics and integrity, yet is still considered 'valuable' enough to reconsider.

And I thought it was only professional sports where 'talent' overrode morals.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,764,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raddo View Post
Punishing them for something they took to help them sleep or for something they did at a friend's house a week and a half ago is draconian.
I see nothing in the OP about punishing any employees for use, only this one's deception.

I don't know that drug testing is the right solution, but trying to keep employees who have grown casual about weed from ending up in literally terrible trouble - which would not be cost- or obligation-free for an employer who sent them overseas - is not a bad thing, IMHO.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:23 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Fire him.

Zero ethics and integrity, yet is still considered 'valuable' enough to reconsider.

And I thought it was only professional sports where 'talent' overrode morals.
This discussion has absolutely nothing to do with morals.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:25 PM

Quote:
This discussion has absolutely nothing to do with morals.
Attempting to cheat on a drug test has no moral implications?

Old 05-15-2019, 12:27 PM

29,519 posts, read 22,661,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Exactly.

I've worked at places where decent employee was canned for falsifying a college degree on her resume.

Some people...

Old 05-15-2019, 12:31 PM

3,129 posts, read 1,332,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
That is like saying that it is immoral to use cannabis because it is against the law. That isn't true, because throughout human history humankind has used civil disobedience in order to break unjust or corrupt laws. Otherwise, legalization would never have gotten off high-center like it has because it is too mired in corrupt money, propaganda, and stigmas. And we would probably still have slavery too.

Millions have been doing that very thing, breaking an unjust and corrupt law, for well over 50 years now. Are all of us immoral?

I will repeat in case I was not clear: It is not immoral to use cannabis.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:38 PM

Quote:
That is like saying that it is immoral to use cannabis because it is against the law.
No, it's not.

I figured this argument would go down the "Weed Freedom!" road.

Which, if you drive over the state line with a couple of ounces, won't even get a good laugh from the judge. This thread isn't even about weed, per se... it's about employee safety for travel and employer liability. I see nothing to indicate the OP drug tests in order to oppress any Free Coloradan Tokers.

And there's no reason I see that the employee mentioned should have tried to cheat... not if all he was Freely doing was a little weed.

Old 05-15-2019, 12:46 PM

13,073 posts, read 7,515,583 times
He told you. The premise for this test needs to reevaluated.
Suppose an person doesn't use prior to MJ test, tests clean, and then uses MJ.
My physical reaction to alcohol and to tobacco is very noticeable. My reaction to MJ is hardly noticeable. You do not want me doing anything if I have had a beer or a few puffs of tobacco.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment