Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 04:48 PM

235 posts, read 157,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmm0484 View Post
Here is how to move ahead out of your dilemma
  • You have got to use your legal name. Period. Legally change it if you do not like it.
I was hoping I could explain the situation in the interview and they would allow me to edit my application, which is preferable than having to explain the situation initially over the phone.

"Hello is this Maggie?"

"...errr.. I guess?"

I wouldn't consider myself LGBT. Just a straight guy with a fetish (Google autogynephilia) that I took a step way too far almost to the point of obsession. Now that I'm facing the facts, I can't help but feel shattered. My confidence is zilch.

I've been realistically looking for work for the past 5+ years. It is has just led me to various dead ends. I've only worked two out of the last five years since graduation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2019, 05:47 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

"the benjamins" -- you do realize that expression you used is codespeak for "The Jews control the banks" or similar anti-Semitic nonsense?
Off topic, but no it doesn't.

It's a reference to Ben Franklin on the $100 bill.

Maggie, accept who you are, use your legal name and make things easier on yourself.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:52 PM

16,076 posts, read 21,154,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post
I was hoping I could explain the situation in the interview and they would allow me to edit my application, which is preferable than having to explain the situation initially over the phone.
Try listing your names a M. Walter Lastname or whatever, but sign with your full legal name. It's just an application, I don't see why anyone would get bent out of shape if you don't list your full first name if that's not what you use. Different story if you get past the interview and need to fill out I-9, tax documents or insurance papers though, use your legal name on those.

Old 05-21-2019, 06:39 AM

2,575 posts, read 2,078,249 times
You haven't had a job in 10 months, take what you can get. Heck, do both so you can get ahead and get where you want to go.

I moved up fast at McD's and was a store manager at 21. I liked how fast paced the job was and it wasn't bad pay for a single 21 yr old college student. I also waited tables part-time while working at McD's.

Sometimes, as I sit in my cubicle all day, I miss the hustle and bustle of the food industry.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:03 AM

6,707 posts, read 5,937,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crd08 View Post
You haven't had a job in 10 months, take what you can get. Heck, do both so you can get ahead and get where you want to go.

I moved up fast at McD's and was a store manager at 21. I liked how fast paced the job was and it wasn't bad pay for a single 21 yr old college student. I also waited tables part-time while working at McD's.

Sometimes, as I sit in my cubicle all day, I miss the hustle and bustle of the food industry.
Good for you. That's a real work ethic.

Food industry is demanding and fast paced, and not everyone can hack it. Having worked at pizza, Mexican, and American restaurants while I was in school, I have the utmost respect, and always tip generously.

Cheers,
the BP

Old 05-21-2019, 08:14 AM

663 posts, read 433,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Try listing your names a M. Walter Lastname or whatever, but sign with your full legal name. It's just an application, I don't see why anyone would get bent out of shape if you don't list your full first name if that's not what you use. Different story if you get past the interview and need to fill out I-9, tax documents or insurance papers though, use your legal name on those.

Good solution!

Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 AM

663 posts, read 433,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermaggie View Post

"Hello is this Maggie?"

"...errr.. I guess?"

I wouldn't consider myself LGBT. Just a straight guy with a fetish (Google autogynephilia) that I took a step way too far almost to the point of obsession. Now that I'm facing the facts, I can't help but feel shattered. My confidence is zilch.

I've been realistically looking for work for the past 5+ years. It is has just led me to various dead ends. I've only worked two out of the last five years since graduation.

How about saying something like... 'It is pronounced Magee'... so instead of a female feel to the name it becomes masculine. .. and use that pronunciation when introducing yourself?? Then you would not have to edit application and you can share whatever info you want later.

Old 05-21-2019, 12:39 PM

235 posts, read 157,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bevv View Post
How about saying something like... 'It is pronounced Magee'... so instead of a female feel to the name it becomes masculine. .. and use that pronunciation when introducing yourself?? Then you would not have to edit application and you can share whatever info you want later.
My real name has four syllables and ends with an “a,” a la Veronica. It is unmistakably feminine. I’m going to risk using my birth name. I only changed my name a year ago and all records on me are probably in my former name, which in reality IS my name. Nobody has ever called me anything else.

Anyway, I got another call from Walmart today so I’d better call back and go get the job. From everything I’ve read in this thread Walmart sounds like a better place to work.

Old 05-21-2019, 01:12 PM

30,639 posts, read 18,235,725 times
I agree generally to go with the most money especially if this is just short term, but if "more" means the difference of less than a dollar, I wouldn't hold so fast to that advice...yes, that adds up and every penny matters to many (especially if you're struggling to get by), but its still a small difference and not necessarily worth a poorer quality of life at work. Unless there is no huge wage gap, I'd personally go with Walmart. I've worked in food service and don't want to do that ever again due to the nastiness of many people. Yes, I'd imagine that you'd have to deal with such in any customer service job, but Walmart seems to have more variety in terms of what you'd be doing than McDonalds. Of course, if you're a cook at McDonalds, you won't be interacting with customers really (I'd imagine not anyway, but don't know really if they rotate people around), but that would personally be too routine for my liking.

Old 05-22-2019, 10:12 PM

1,487 posts, read 782,600 times
Neither. Do temp work. They love college grads. Makes them look good. There is something you can do in the world of temp work, and alot of those companies working with the temp service are looking for full-time employees, but they want to make sure they're going to work out, and the best way to do that is to take them for a test drive through a temp service.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment