Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 10:58 PM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to work on feature films since I want to get into filmmaking and I got a job on one that starts shooting in July, recording audio and editing. So I got excited and took it and said yes.

But my friends and family seem to think it was a bad move, cause I'm going to have to quit my current job by the time July comes around to go to another city to work on the movie, and I will be out of a job once July's over. But was it a bad idea? I mean it's hard to find these filmmaking opportunities, so what else can you do, if you have to quit a job, just to go work on one? Otherwise you will never get to work on any, it seems.

Am I wrong, and was it bad of me to say yes?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 07:11 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,232,217 times
I suppose it "all depends".

Do you have some money saved to be able to live for a few months after the film is done?

Is the film actually paying you money, and it's a lock? Would be terrible to move, work, and then it shuts down and you don't get paid (is it union?)

The city you're going to - can you start to look into other film jobs so that you may have another one lined up when you're done?

If you really want to get into filmmaking, it's hard to do it part time unless it's a solo indy project. Will this build up some credits for you that you can take elsewhere?

Old 03-18-2019, 07:58 AM

45,333 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Maybe. My sister in law worked in TV, I think she ended up as a director/assistant director, and early on I remember she'd work for a month or two, be off for a month or two, work for a month or two, be off for a month or two, etc.

After a few years work did become more steady and she would work long term on specific series' (one I remember was Tyra Banks' show. Also a lot for Nickelodeon when they had their own live action programming).

Old 03-18-2019, 07:59 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,028,320 times
If you've saved your money, it could be the impetus you needed.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:49 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,130,360 times
would your current job allow a one month unpaid leave of absence?

Old 03-18-2019, 10:11 AM

5,317 posts, read 3,223,226 times
If you are willing to be out of work between contracts then go for contracting.

In addition, one month of experience usually won't qualify you for other similar jobs. You're basically drinking a drop of water in a desert.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:44 AM

5,110 posts, read 3,067,385 times
Okay thanks. As far as the movie being a lock, they say it is, but this is their second attempt on making it. They were going to try to make it two years ago, but had to pull out cause funding was cut. So this is their second attempt and I hope they do make it this time, but they signed on a named celebrity actor this time, so that might ensure more that it gets done, cause they are not going to want to pull out on him, I don't think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsell View Post
If you are willing to be out of work between contracts then go for contracting.

In addition, one month of experience usually won't qualify you for other similar jobs. You're basically drinking a drop of water in a desert.
Well I see what you mean, but at the same time, a movie doesn't take more than a month to shoot, especially on a low budget, so I don't know what I can do to get more experience, accept for trying to find one movie at a time to do.

And I don't think a new job will be okay with me taking a one month leave the same year, so I will probably have to resign I am guessing, when the time comes.

Old 03-18-2019, 02:46 PM

8,208 posts, read 3,479,506 times
It would give you experience and a chance maybe to make some connections for future employment. I hope it works out for you.

Old 03-18-2019, 03:27 PM

3,493 posts, read 3,200,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
would your current job allow a one month unpaid leave of absence?
Do they offer maternity leave? If so, go for it. Tell 'em "see you in August."

Old 03-19-2019, 04:24 AM

61,649 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ironpony View Post
I've been trying to work on feature films since I want to get into filmmaking and I got a job on one that starts shooting in July, recording audio and editing. So I got excited and took it and said yes.

But my friends and family seem to think it was a bad move, cause I'm going to have to quit my current job by the time July comes around to go to another city to work on the movie, and I will be out of a job once July's over. But was it a bad idea? I mean it's hard to find these filmmaking opportunities, so what else can you do, if you have to quit a job, just to go work on one? Otherwise you will never get to work on any, it seems.

Am I wrong, and was it bad of me to say yes?

Yes. It's a BAD idea to quit a steady job to take a short term job. You need that money to pay your bills, food, insurance, see doctors and live independently, instead off your aging parents at their home.
Time to give your parents a break, no?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment